Honored Contributor

Re: What is ""OLD LADY"" perfume?

HH, better include smile lines while you're at it, right? LOL

Trusted Contributor

My Nana used to wear "Tabu," and, to this day when I smell anything remotely like Tabu, I think of her. And I remember all the Saturday night sleepovers with snacks and cheese and crackers and some kind of hokey music show with a bouncing ball on TV. It was a wonderful life.

Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Barbara in Virginia said:
On 12/27/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I should add that I can't abide most of the treasured classics people seem to dote on here and on fragrantica and other perfume sites. But it isn't that I would describe them as "old lady"; it's that some of them (Giorgio is a perfect example, to me) just scream "I'm here; pay attention to me." They're in your face and have no nuance or sense of proportion.

I don't care for Giorgio at all but adore several of the Guerlain classics: L'Heure Bleue, Vol de Nuit, Chamade, Mitsouko and Nahema. These are all very complex scents and not at all like the fruity floral, gourmand fragrances popular today. Those who like scents like something you would eat often think those masterpiece classics are "old lady".

I wore Shalimar as my signature cologne for years until I became allergic to it. It really is a classic, IMHO.

Super Contributor

I started this thread and here's my conclusion.

If anyone associates a fragrance with "anyone" elderly, they consider it and "old lady perfume". Of coarse, a 20 year old may consider 50 old. If your great aunt always wears Rihanna's Nude, you will associate that scent with your "old aunt", who you love and adore, but don't want to smell like.

I would think they have a "signature scent" it will identify them with that scent. If you aunt wears something different everytime you see her, I don't think you will identify every fragrance with your "old lady" aunt.

Just my thoughts and none of it makes any difference in the world.

Right now I am loving "The One". I'm sure my DIL will soon think of it as "olp" soon enough.

Occasional Contributor

A lot of perfumes that are considered "old lady" are because they have been around way too long. Even the classics just don't seem to be appealing anymore. They are heavy, dense, overly powdery, overly sweet or way too many flowers involved.

For me, I like the perfumes that are light, airy, citrusy and people don't smell you coming at them from a mile away. My favorite choices come from the Jo Malone line which have many varieties to choose from. They are truly beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

I always think of OL scents as ones that are heavy and lingering.

I prefer ""summer"" scents that are light no matter what time of the year it is.

Honored Contributor

On 12/31/2014 rsimon9228 said:
On 12/31/2014 LipstickDiva said:
Old fashioned perfumes that my elderly relatives wear are what I consider to be old lady perfumes

so - with that definition, I am 65 and wear Jo Malone colognes so would you call those "old lady" perfumes??

Perhaps you should have quoted me entirely instead of just picking out that one sentence. I went on to explain exactly what I meant.