Esteemed Contributor
On 2/25/2015 vermint said:

MalteseMomma, I have noticed that "dust" on my brushes...but it was also there pre-WEN on the plastic bristle brushes I used to use. I always brush my hair when I get home from work, and usually before I go to bed, using the same brushes I use for styling. Personally, I think the "dust" is from styling products (whether WEN or other brands that I used to use). Styling products DO leave some kind of coating on the hair, no matter what brand.

Thanks vermit, I didn't think of that. Probably the leave in and styling cream.

Trusted Contributor

MalteseMomma- I am going to chime in here. First I want to say that I think reading this forum gives one a very askew perspective of what is really reality. One would think that everyone's hair is falling-out, or that 613 is so drying ( meanwhile how many of those sets were just sold at the Q) or the SHP is the most moisturizing formula ever ( and you know what I haven't even tried it yet and my hair is just fine) etc.. My point is that one gets very subjective information reading this board but it still makes one think- wow is this really happening- is this all really true. So I understand that you are now rethinking your use of this product. I remember when you were so proud of the beautiful hair that you had. But if you have become so fearful of using this product - you should just stop. I know from your last few posts that you yourself have been questioning this...

Honored Contributor
On 2/14/2015 jurby said:
On 2/14/2015 Q4U said:

I gave WEN a six month concerted try last year and yes, about two or three weeks in I noticed my hair was thinning. I had a month or so of my hair being absoultely manageable and bouncy and I was thrilled, so I continued using it. Besides the word was that you'll lose some hair in the beginning of using WEN, but it will balance out and be better than okay.

After two or three months of using WEN, I have considerable thinning and on top of that my hair started to "act up". It was greasy looking without being greasy, flat, etc. So I did everything in my power to change things up. I mixed formulas, I lessened product, I did everything recommended and imaginable to re-attain the look I had that first month.

It never came back no matter what I did. So after 6 months I reluctantly stopped using it. I say reluctantly because I still thought I was doing something wrong and I still might find my "magic" formula. That never happened. Besides I invested a lot of money in these products.

So I went back to my old products and my hair is good again. It's still not as thick as it was prior to WEN but I've had some regrowth. The thing is, how do you prove it's the WEN that causes this? It could be coincidence or diet or it could be hereditary. There's no way it can be proven.....

and like so many others who blame Wen for their hair loss I'm assuming you NEVER bothered to make any effort whatsoever to find out what ingredient in Wen was causing the problem...

The problem with my hair looking better resolved itself when I went back to my old shampoo and conditioner. It's been about 6 months now since I stopped and I have some regrowth that's filling in.

Making an effort to find out which ingredient was causing the problem?? Come on, that would require a Doctor's visit (expensive) and extensive TESTING (expensive) at a lab of the product and my sensitivity to it. Who's going to do that when stopping the product has resolved my issue??

Sheesh.... This is a VERY VERY touchy subject for some of you and that's surprising to me. Ever stop to understand why this is so personal to some? If it's working beautifully for you, GREAT! I'm happy for you, but for a few of us.... it doesn't work great. Everyone's different.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor
On 2/25/2015 MalteseMomma said:

I have been faithfully using WEN since Chaz first came here to the Q.

Yesterday while cleaning hair brushes I noticed none of my dogs brushes had the collection of I'll call it "dust" for want of a word..lol...on the bottom of the bristles , at the base of the brush, like I had on mine.

They are all the exact same very expensive boar hair brushes.

So the only conclusion I can make is that WEN must be leaving some type of coating on my hair or scalp, even though I try my best to rinse it all out, and thought I did. I'm wondering if this causes our scalps not to breathe correctly and maybe some loss of hair.

I'm a little concerned about this now. Any comments or ideas on why that is?

Edited to add : no it is not the first time in 13 yrs or however long Chaz has been here that I have cleaned my brushes,just the first time I have noticed this happening.

Perhaps you are adding hair spray or other after cleansing products that you don't put on your dog.

However, glad that you have stopped using Wen and using products that work better for you. Good Luck.

Respected Contributor
On 2/25/2015 Q4U said:
On 2/14/2015 jurby said:
On 2/14/2015 Q4U said:

I gave WEN a six month concerted try last year and yes, about two or three weeks in I noticed my hair was thinning. I had a month or so of my hair being absoultely manageable and bouncy and I was thrilled, so I continued using it. Besides the word was that you'll lose some hair in the beginning of using WEN, but it will balance out and be better than okay.

After two or three months of using WEN, I have considerable thinning and on top of that my hair started to "act up". It was greasy looking without being greasy, flat, etc. So I did everything in my power to change things up. I mixed formulas, I lessened product, I did everything recommended and imaginable to re-attain the look I had that first month.

It never came back no matter what I did. So after 6 months I reluctantly stopped using it. I say reluctantly because I still thought I was doing something wrong and I still might find my "magic" formula. That never happened. Besides I invested a lot of money in these products.

So I went back to my old products and my hair is good again. It's still not as thick as it was prior to WEN but I've had some regrowth. The thing is, how do you prove it's the WEN that causes this? It could be coincidence or diet or it could be hereditary. There's no way it can be proven.....

and like so many others who blame Wen for their hair loss I'm assuming you NEVER bothered to make any effort whatsoever to find out what ingredient in Wen was causing the problem...

The problem with my hair looking better resolved itself when I went back to my old shampoo and conditioner. It's been about 6 months now since I stopped and I have some regrowth that's filling in.

Making an effort to find out which ingredient was causing the problem?? Come on, that would require a Doctor's visit (expensive) and extensive TESTING (expensive) at a lab of the product and my sensitivity to it. Who's going to do that when stopping the product has resolved my issue??

Sheesh.... This is a VERY VERY touchy subject for some of you and that's surprising to me. Ever stop to understand why this is so personal to some? If it's working beautifully for you, GREAT! I'm happy for you, but for a few of us.... it doesn't work great. Everyone's different.

While I use WEN and like it a lot...I agree with you on the Doctor's visit thing! If I'm having an "issue" with something and have been using a new product in the area of the "issue", the 1st thing I do is stop using that product. If the issue then stops...problem solved! Even with insurance, who can afford to go running to the doctor for everything? I'm already seeing 3 different doctors a total of 6 times a year, and that's just for routine things!

I absolutely believe that some people have a problem with WEN...there is NO product out there that doesn't cause problems for someone! When I get "touchy" is when someone says that "because this didn't work for ME, it's all hype and the vendor is a snake-oil salesman, and this product shouldn't be on the market"!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Smile DogLvr,I didn't stop using WEN ,I doubt I ever will., after 13 yrs I wouldn't know where to start with shampoo again. I just said I saw dust on my brush and not on my dogs brush.......and was concerned

I'm satisfied it must be the leave in or the styling cream or the replenishing spray....or.whatever. I'm getting so old ,I just never thought of it.........

Frequent Contributor

I used wen and noticed my hair get much thinner in the front area, I even went to a dermatologist. I stopped using wen and now my hair is fine. My sister had the same experience. I think too many people have reported the same thing and it is not just because they want to bash Chaz

Contributor

What formula/product of WEN are you using? Is it permanent hair loss, or does the hair fill in again when WEN is stopped? Recently I read that there is a class-action lawsuit (Friedman et al v. Guthy-Renker LLC, Case No. 14-cv-06009, C. D. CA,filed July 4, 2014) against WEN, brought on by someone who blames WEN for her hair loss.

The thing is, she hasn't provided any details for how WEN product could have been the cause, or what ingredient/combination of ingredients is known to be detrimental to health. In order to win a lawsuit, doesn't there have to be proof of willful negligence on the part of all the cosmetics chemists, testing labs, marketers, QVC, Guthy-Renker, and Chaz Dean himself? There would be thousands of people involved. Plus the formulas for WEN have been widely "imitated", so wouldn't other similar formulas, for example Hair One, or REN, or As I Am, etc., also cause this problem? How could only WEN be sued?

All the ingredients used have to be FDA approved for their intended cosmetic use (shampoo isn't a drug, obviously), and the WEN line has been around for many years now. Would the lawsuit have to extend to the FDA? After contacting the FDA, the plaintiff refused to answer questions posed to her by the WEN company. How are they supposed to narrow down any possible causes of the problem if the plaintiff won't provide answers?

There are SO many people who think some WEN products cause hair loss, it's hard to believe it's just a voice in a well. Maybe there's some widespread allergy to an ingredient or combo of ingredients that hasn't been addressed because, overall, WEN sells like water? But the FDA can't identify any possible causes without a lot of information from a lot of people. How can anyone know if it's the same issue in all these supposed cases? Considering the fact that hair loss is a common problem that has many different causes, the plaintiff will have to have very specific information about what ingredients are definitely toxic or "dangerous" to a minority of people who have used WEN, and prove that everyone involved with selling WEN is aware of these dangers but doesn't care. (Or willfully imposes them upon innocent consumers for some unknown diabolical reason).

I have tried some WEN formulas, and I liked them a lot, but, frankly, I've heard so much about detrimental effects of WEN I'm afraid to buy any of the products.

Contributor

Apparently this firm is one who is investigating the problem. Right on the website there's a page to provide information on how WEN may have been harmful to you.

http://cdfirm.com/class-action-investigation-wen-hair-products-by-chaz-dean-alleged-to-cause-hair-lo...

It's free to provide information; just click the link. Forensic investigation is the only way to truly protect consumers. It doesn't matter how many blogs, posts, rants, and threads are created if, ultimately, there isn't hard-core proof of wrongdoing.

Not to mention this clause: IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT, PLEASE DO NOT USE THE WEBSITE, DO NOT ORDER, AND DO NOT USE A GUTHY-RENKER PRODUCT.

THIS AGREEMENT INCLUDES A MANDATORY ARBITRATION AGREEMENT, WHICH MEANS THAT YOU AGREE TO SUBMIT ANY CLAIM (DEFINED IN SECTION 14) TO BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION RATHER THAN PROCEEDING IN COURT. IF YOU WANT TO OPT-OUT OF THIS MANDATORY ARBITRATION AGREEMENT, SECTION 14 BELOW DESCRIBES THE PROCEDURES YOU MUST FOLLOW TO DO SO. THE ARBITRATION AGREEMENT ALSO INCLUDES A CLASS ACTION WAIVER, WHICH MEANS THAT YOU AGREE TO PROCEED WITH ANY CLAIM INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION.

Super Contributor