Super Contributor

I have a guestion about using a Vit C serum. Can I "cocktail" my Vit. C serum with a moisturizer or oil, or do I need to apply separately to get the most benefit? Would that decrease the Vit C serum's effectiveness if I mixed the two? TIA!

Contributor

Re: Vitamin C Serum Application

For me, I just follow the basic rule of thinnest serum goes on first.  I use vitamin c in the am, after a toner.  I let the toner dry a couple of minutes, then the vitamin c.  Let that go for a few minutes before my moisturizer with spf.  Thinnest to the next, to the tnicker.  I also learned to give a few minutes in between for better results... For retinol (10-20 min.) & vitamin c (5 or more min.).  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Some serums can be cocktailed, but I personally wouldn't cocktail a serum and a moisturizer.  I use a Korean First Essence immediately after cleansing.  My Vitamin C serum goes on immediately after that (by itself).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I too apply Vitamin C serum on clean skin (after a toner) and then follow with a moisturizer and booster oil, if needed (those I cocktail). I would not cocktail Vit C serum with oil, for sure, but with moisturizer, it should be fine. I just prefer not to and let the Vit C sink in first.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

Love Philosophy Turbo boost vitamin C, a finely micronized powder you add to any serum or water based moisturizer.  It even works with Dr Denese's serums which are silicone based . You control the concentration of vitC and you're adding a fresh dose every time.  Dimitri makes a similar powder though his isn't quite as finely micronized and you can buy larger quantities, thus saving $, if you get a generic from the health food department.  

If if you want an already prepared serum, skin pro makes a light serun with ~ 22% vit C.  You have to be careful . Once the serum turns brown the vitamin C is worthless regardless of the concentration.  

Honored Contributor

I use NCN's Vitamin C serum. Here are their directions: Massage into skin in the morning. Allow to dry completely before applying any other products. Avoid getting into your eyes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Yes, yes, I'm sure you all are correct. I will put the Vit C on first and let it sink in before I moisturizer. I was just looking at ways to speed up my 520 AM (ugh) wake up routine. 😴Thanks for your replies.

Super Contributor

Can't I edit on this new forum? Wanted to say before I moisturize, not before I "moisturizer"??? I really am not enjoying our new and improved Beauty Banter.

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

Can't I edit on this new forum? Wanted to say before I moisturize, not before I "moisturizer"??? I really am not enjoying our new and improved Beauty Banter.

Editing is easy, Sherrie08. Look at the three dots at the upper-right of your post. Click on them, and you'll see a menu of options, including editing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Thanks SuzyQ3! I sure couldn't figure it out.