Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping At the Hair Salon

@ECBG wrote:

My former student has her own shop and does my hair.  I tip at least 20%.

I usually just give her $20 for a $60 touch up, which is quite a bit more anyways.  I always give cash too and should've known better than to tip this time without my glasses lol.

Respected Contributor

I got my hair done today also! Its usually around 135 to touch up roots and color, this is CA so she is actually pretty reasonable.  At the end she said it was 180, she had to do an all over versus a touch up. I only had 200 cash, I always pay cash so she doesn't have to pay a fee, I said oh oops I will make up the tip next time I only have 200 and she said oh your fine your paying me cash so that is more than enough.

She went a little lighter for summer and I am always happy with how she does my hair.

Honored Contributor

The salon I go to takes checks. If you pay with a credit card they add 3%. I understand that. So I write a check for my service + tip for stylist + tip for shampoo person. The receptionist will either keep the tips if I wish and distribute them, or give me the cash to do it myself. I do this one.

Prices keep going up and up everywhere, including the salon. I used to get my hair cut and colored every 12 weeks, and trimmed every six weeks. I tipped 20%. Now I go every 6-7 weeks for everything. I tip close to 20%!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping At the Hair Salonett

@spumoni99 wrote:

I got my hair done today also! Its usually around 135 to touch up roots and color, this is CA so she is actually pretty reasonable.  At the end she said it was 180, she had to do an all over versus a touch up. I only had 200 cash, I always pay cash so she doesn't have to pay a fee, I said oh oops I will make up the tip next time I only have 200 and she said oh your fine your paying me cash so that is more than enough.

She went a little lighter for summer and I am always happy with how she does my hair.

Ive had the same thing happen once.  She understood and I just made it up on my next visit.

For California, that does seem like a good price for getting your hair done.  Here, in my little hick town in Ky it's going way up.

At my salon, they're doing sooo many extensions now, that makes up a big chunk of business.  I can't believe what they charge for those either!  Plus, these girls have to come back in a few weeks to get them tightened back up.  Then, in just a couple months the process starts all over again.  They have to buy the hair and have them put in again.  It costs a fortune too.

Something surprising is I've watched my stylist and her partner put them in and they can do it so fast it's crazy!  We talked about it one day and she told me that's their big money maker now.  Seems like every lady in town has them too.  Sometimes I may be the only person in there getting color.💝🌸

Honored Contributor

I'm going today.  I need a trim.

I always give 20%.  Sometimes a little bit more just to round out the amount.

If I spent $120.00 I would have given a $25.00 tip and I always tip in cash.  You gave a bit more but it is what it is.  I wouldn't have gone back and aksed for her to rerun the charge through.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think tipping has gotten out of hand.  I've seen signs in my salon that states, "Tips are appreciated in cash only".

Why are tips brought up at all?  Tipping is for services that go out of their way and do something special for you.  It's an option, only.

A hairdresser chooses what price she charges, nothing more.  Some hairdressers expect customers to dole out extra tipping $$$, it has gone overboard.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I think tipping has gotten out of hand.  I've seen signs in my salon that states, "Tips are appreciated in cash only".

Why are tips brought up at all?  Tipping is for services that go out of their way and do something special for you.  It's an option, only.

A hairdresser chooses what price she charges, nothing more.  Some hairdressers expect customers to dole out extra tipping $$$, it has gone overboard.

I know a lot of people who feel this way about tipping.  I tip because I do like her and appreciate the time she spends on my long hair.

However, when I was young, I barely could scrape up the money to get my hair done, much less a tip.  Back then, nobody tipped.  Like you say, the prices were already set.

Super Contributor

Yrs ago -wasn’t my hair
salon-but a Dunkin Donuts store. Husband and I stopped for 2 cups coffee. I didn’t have glasses on and instead of $1 tip in the jar I put $5 bill. As we sat there I heard the young girl say” wow someone put $5 in tip jar! I knew right away it was me. Lol Glad it made their day!!☕️
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shelbelle.  Yeah, so they don't have to contribute to paying taxes on it as the rest of us do.  For this reason, I don't tip anyone in cash.

My stylist is an independent contractor who rents space.  She pays quarterly taxes, so yes she pays just like the rest of us.  I always tip her over 20% in cash.  Perhaps you shouldn't assume that no stylist or nail tech pays taxes.  Pretty broad generalization.  These people work hard for their money.

Honored Contributor

The only thing I pay by check is the salon and I include the tip.