Occasional Contributor

Suggestion for skin care products

Any suggestions on what works for someone in their 60's with dry skin, such as serum and moisturizer.I keep using products from different skin care lines but don't think I am getting the results. It is all so confusing. Is vitamin C good to use.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Suggestion for skin care products

Have you tried Peter Thomas Roth products? I really love his line, so moisturizing!

Here's a kit with a lot of his products to try:

Peter Thomas Roth 12 Days of Beauty Set - QVC.com

Respected Contributor

I've been using CeraVe products.  Their AM and PM moisurizer =nd have used their Vitamic C and  I'm pleased with the results.  

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've been using CeraVe products.  Their AM and PM moisurizer =nd have used their Vitamic C and  I'm pleased with the results.  

@ScrapHappy Hi...I'm new to CeraVe...been wanting to try it, as I've tried to do more drugstore brands in the past year, once my last Dr. Denese (used her products for over 12 years), and my Olay Regenerist (which I like and would buy again, but was waiting for a sale this time) ran out. So in CVS just last week, I picked up the CeraVe in the tub with pump. Seems like people mostly use that on their bodies, but I just didn't see one especially for the face, and they do say you can use this on the face....so I have in the past week. 

Seems fine for a moisterizer. I like that it has no fragrance, absorbs quickly, and seems to do as well as anything else. I know it has certain ingredients that are supposed to be good in skincare, though I doubt it will do anything for anti-aging etc. I figure it's just a moisterizer.

I'm just so exhausted lately trying to muddle through all the "what I should be using for anti-aging treatments" and never landing on a streamlined "use this!" routine....that all I've been focusing on for now is moisterizer.

With all that said....I'd love any info, or advice you have on CeraVe, and which one I should be buying for my face if not the tub??

I saw a YouTube influencer/dermatologist (I take them all with a big grain of salt) and she likes the tub and said you can use it on both body and face.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@WI CUSTOMER   I've pared down my routine over the years. I also have dry skin (more combo in summer) and find Skinceuticals, DRMTLGY and/or Kiehl's to be most effective for me. 

I use Kiehl's oil cleanser at night to remove my tinted DRMTLGY SPF. Skinceuticals makes the top rated Vit. C &E serum, but quite expensive, so I gave it up and use either The Ordinary C or one from OBAGI. Moisturizer (AM & PM) is Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream. I've been using Retin A for 35-40 yrs. and YES, it's worth the effort to see results. 

The Vit. C serums are also good for brightening the complexion and it supports your sunscreen and makes it more effective.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WI CUSTOMER   Sorry, I forgot about my best moisturizer ever for very dry skin in winter: Skinceuticals 2:4:2 Moisturizer with lipids, etc. I think my Skinceuticals eye cream for colder weather is called A.G.E. I'm on vacay, so cannot check it for you.  It's a life saver in colder weather. In NC, we do get winter...30 to 40 degree highs, but rarely snow/ice.

When the heat goes on the house and wherever else I go, my skin gets quite dry. I have a free standing humidifier in my bedroom and sunroom that runs all day w/ the doors closed.

Trusted Contributor

@WI CUSTOMER
Check out Gingerhead's thread " if you have dry skin you should have this in your life" .😉
Respected Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@ScrapHappy Hi...I'm new to CeraVe...been wanting to try it, as I've tried to do more drugstore brands in the past year, once my last Dr. Denese (used her products for over 12 years), and my Olay Regenerist (which I like and would buy again, but was waiting for a sale this time) ran out. So in CVS just last week, I picked up the CeraVe in the tub with pump. Seems like people mostly use that on their bodies, but I just didn't see one especially for the face, and they do say you can use this on the face....so I have in the past week. 

Seems fine for a moisterizer. I like that it has no fragrance, absorbs quickly, and seems to do as well as anything else. I know it has certain ingredients that are supposed to be good in skincare, though I doubt it will do anything for anti-aging etc. I figure it's just a moisterizer.

I'm just so exhausted lately trying to muddle through all the "what I should be using for anti-aging treatments" and never landing on a streamlined "use this!" routine....that all I've been focusing on for now is moisterizer.

With all that said....I'd love any info, or advice you have on CeraVe, and which one I should be buying for my face if not the tub??

I saw a YouTube influencer/dermatologist (I take them all with a big grain of salt) and she likes the tub and said you can use it on both body and face.

Thanks!

I use the CeraVe Am Facial Moisturizing Lotion in the morning (it has SPF) and the CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion at bedtime.  CeraVE Vitamin  Serum omes in a tube.  I buy mine at Target, especially when they have the gift card deals.  I think the tub you're referring to is a body cream.  I've heard good things about it and plan on trying it but I just bought. Goldbonds overnight cream with retinol.  I heard of it on these boards and it was on the Today Show.  I bought it mainly for a body cream but trying it as a night cream too.  Both Sam's Club and Costco sell CeraVe moisturizing body cream in the tub but double the size and at a good price point.  I'm pleased with CeraVe.  I too just wanted a drug store brand that doesn't cost a lot of money.  It has made a difference for me.  A good friend that I'm able to see only once or twice a year noticed a difference in my skin the last time I saw her.  

Respected Contributor

@WI CUSTOMER I'm 62. I have combo/easily dehydrated/breaks out from everything skin.

I have a lot of texture to my skin, so I have tried all of the things that address that.

I have a couple of dark areas on my skin that I would love to lighten up, so I have tried all of the things to address that.

I don't have many lines, but of course, I have tried things to soften those & prevent others.

I have truly, through the years, spent a bazillion dollars on skincare that claims to brighten, lighten, tighten, smooth, plump, glow, etc.

If the CeraVe is giving you the moisture you need, I would stick with that save my money & go do something fun.

That said MY latest try for prettier skin has been the Beekman line + Dr Dennis Gross Extra Strength Peel Pads . Because I have tried every other line in the world.

I started on the Beekman line last April-3 different serums (1 you use morning & evening, 1 use use in the AM, 1 in the PM+the Bloom Cream.), then I thought maybe I needed more exfoliation so I added the Peel Pads. 

I should know better at this age, but hope springs eternal.

My skin looks exactly the same as it did several hundred dollars ago.

Honored Contributor

@WI CUSTOMER  - I'm in my late 60's and use products from a couple different lines.  Vitamin C is important but doesn't have to be expensive so look around and find one that fits your budget.  A good one is Timeless Vit C - they have 2 strengths 10% and 20% and also have frequent sales.  They also have some other very good serums, 2 of which I use - a COQ10 and Matrixyl.  They have explanations on each item on their website.  There are lots of other brands that have a Vit C too.

CeraVe is a good drugstore brand for facial moisturizer and so is LaRoche Posay.  Don't forget your sunscreen!  I prefer a morning moisturizer to have it included so if you do that, make sure the spf is 30 or higher.  Neutrogena also has some good products that a lot of people on this board like.

Paula's Choice is another very reputable, good line.  Check out their website as they have a lot of good products for dry skin - cleansers, moisturizers, Vit C, serums, etc., and have lots of great sales.  Have used quite a few of their products.

A good cleanser is very important so for dry, mature skin a hydrating cleanser might be a good choice.  Without a good cleanser, the other products won't really work well.  CeraVe has a good cleanser, Cetaphil is supposed to be good too, LaRoche Posay has some as well as Paula's Choice and others.