Respected Contributor

Skinn's DermaPeel - Do U wash your face first?

The directions don't say you should but, I was just wondering .....

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Skinn's DermaPeel - Do U wash your face first?

I usually use a mild cleanser first. 

One thing I want to mention, though, is that Dimitri always recommends to get your face warmed up with very hot water before applying the DermAppeal.  That is one thing I disagree with him on.  I've read several places that hot water is drying to the skin.  Your face won't be quite as warm, but use warm water instead of hot.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I always cleanse my face first and agree with the previous poster that warm water is better than very hot for your skin in general. I stopped using the Derm Apeal though because it was a little to harsh for my skin.

Respected Contributor

I won't repeat the horror show details that Demapeel caused my face to turn into.  I will say with any scrub they say cleanse first but I find it gentler not to and use a mild cleaner after the scrub.  JMO

Esteemed Contributor

The instructions say to apply to clean skin, so I do cleanse before I apply the DermaPeel to wet skin.  I keep it on my face for a few minutes, then rinse it off thoroughly in the shower.  BTW, my dermatologist told me to not use any scrubs (oops!), so I only use it about once every 3-4 weeks.  I've never had any irritation problems.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

Now that I am retired, I do not use soap to cleanse my skin everyday anymore being that I do not wear any makeup but maybe once a week. So no I do not wash my face prior to using dermapeel. I just rinse very good with warm water....  and they apply it.   

Trusted Contributor

I typically do not wash my face first.  I only use it  1 or 2 times per month and when I do, it is in my morning shower.  The only thing on my face in the morning is a little skincare from the previous evening so I don't feel the need to do double.  I do love the way my skin feels after but I also find it a bit on the harsh side and I don't enjoy the smell.  My derm doesn't recommend scrubs either - she says they cause broken capillaries.

Respected Contributor

I was always told that no matter what type of exfoliant that is being used whether it be on the face or body, that it should be done on clean skin.

Trusted Contributor

I always wash first since I don't want to smear makeup into my skin.  Has anyone else had trouble getting this out of the tube?  I have to practically stand on it to get it to come out.  I liked the jar better!

Trusted Contributor

I always wash my face before using the peel, whether I put make up on that day or not.  I, also, use warm water, not hot.