Honored Contributor

Re: Silicone & Sulfate Free Shampoo

On 10/15/2014 RunnerMom said: Another vote for Shea Moisture products. They have three new lines: Super Fruit Complex; Jamaica Black Castor Oil; and Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil. Ahhhmazing! I can also recommend the Giovanni line. My favs are 50:50 Balance, Tea Tree Triple Treat, and the Direct Leave-In. Both lines are chemical and cruelty free. You can find them at Target, Walmart, and CVS (not Giovanni). Giovanni is also at Whole Foods.

Those new Shea Moisture products sound nice. The lady at Sally Beauty said I did not need to use those as they are made for ethnic hair. I tried Shea Moisture & I liked it. I could not find the Manuka Honey on their site. I searched it & found 4 products at Target that say only available at Target. We don't have a Target. Which Giovanni products have you used? I have used their ColorFlage shampoo & conditioner. They sell them at iHerb online.

Respected Contributor

I rotate between the Purelogy volume line, Aveda's Pure Abundance, and Aveda's Invati. All are awesome at creating volume but keeping my hair soft and shiny.

Trusted Contributor

Alterna Caviar Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. Amazon = much lower cost than QVC. Also, if you like them, large 64 oz bottles are available, also at lower price.

Super Contributor

On 10/28/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 10/27/2014 F1wild said:
On 10/18/2014 F1wild said:

Well, I used the SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus co-wash last night. Wasn't anything like WEN, at all. The scent is pure heaven, but the product is so watery, compared to WEN. I kept pouring more and more into my hand, several times, but had so much trouble distributing through my almost to shoulder length hair. I ended up adding a pump of SAM to complete my shampoo.

If anyone uses this product, I would love suggestions!

Cheers!

Update:

I have the 3 bottles of the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus co-wash that I wasn't thrilled with, but couldn't find the receipt to return. Plus, I know everyone raves about this. I have a 32 oz bottle of SAM I've been using and is about halfway through. I added about 2/3rds of my opened bottle of the Shea Moisture co-wash to it and shook it up to try as an experiment. I've used this mixture 3 times now and love the results.

I washed last night, stuck it up in a ponytail and let it air dry overnight. I took it down today and as I was doing my skincare routine I noticed something different. My hair is super shiny. I mean SUPER shiny. This is what I'll be using from now on.

F1Wild, good that you can use the Shea Moisture. I love their products. But did you know that putting your wet hair in a ponytail can cause damage to your hair? Anything tight on hair can be problematic, but wet hair is especially fragile. My daughter personally discovered that this is definitely true; you can google the issue also.

Thank you Suzy! Oh I know how manipulating wet hair can wreck it. When I put it up in a "ponytail" I use a well-used scrunchy and only loop it twice so there is plenty of room for my hair to move around. I've done this for years without any breakage. Good advice, though!!

Contributor

I have fine, straight colored hair and my two favorite lines are Pureoklogy and Alterna Bamboo . I use both in the volumizing line . Ulta or a salon carries Pureology and QVC carries Alterna.

Honored Contributor

Before moving away from shampoo, I really liked Living Proof's Restore shampoo and conditioner. They're not cheap and I didn't really like the scent, but they worked well. A lot of sulfate-free shampoos left my hair feeling like straw, but Restore did not.

100% Pure made a shampoo called Honey and Coconut Milk shampoo that was a great sulfate-free shampoo, but it looks like it's been replaced with one called Honey and Virgin Coconut shampoo. I remember that I liked it, but the shampoo came in a tube and was super thin, so it would gush and splash everywhere the minute I opened the cap. It was a wasteful mess and I complained to them about the packaging for a product with that consistency. They conditioner was okay, but I remember it had the opposite problem - it would get very thick and was nearly impossible to squeeze out of the tube. SO disappointing, because once I managed to get them on my hair, they were good.

Honored Contributor

I'd like to find an unscented shampoo again. Almay used to have it. Also, Ivory. Years ago. Any suggestions are welcome!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Contributor

My Favorite is: Nick Chavez Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening KIT.