Super Contributor

Re: Self Tanners (like Tarte) vs. Going in for a spray tan

When my family went to Maui, I went in for a spray tan, at one of those tanning places, it turned out very even. I only went one time, as I wanted something natural just to look okay at the pool or in shorts.

I'm afraid to spray myself in that it might not have an even distribution.

I use jargons at home on my legs in the summer, but If I were going to be in a swimsuit on vacation with my family, I would just go to one of those places and get a spray tan.

Respected Contributor

The salon where I go for nails and hair started doing spray tans 2 years ago. They used me the guinea pig to try out different formulas and colors. It goes on so even especially around the ankles and feet. I do keep a self tanner at home to have on hand but in the summer I spray tan almost every week. It does last a good 5 days I would say. The spray tan really does look professional.

Super Contributor

For a vacation, I would go in and get a spray tan. I've never been to a booth-type place, but I can't imagine that would be very good. If I need my whole body to look good, I go in and have the airbrush tan. It's about $40 plus tip where I am, but I'm sure that's high for most places (the place I go uses organic ingredients). I get a great, even color and it lasts about a week or more. I use my tan towels (or any other self tanner) for at home, since I really only want my legs and arms to be tan for day to day life.

Honored Contributor

My middle daughter owned a tanning salon around 8 years ago. She sprayed me in the beginning, middle and near the end of the summer.

After getting a nice spray, you just need to maintain it. I intend to get sprayed (she sold her business in a few weeks.

It is the best way to go.

Respected Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Lucky Charm said:

Sandgirl! Listen to me! Suzanne Organics!! There is a self tanner (goes on darker and makes you darker) or a white cream that is very forgiving called Healthy Glow (?) or something like that. It's in a pink can. The other is in a silver can. The healthy glow just gives you 'color'. Not necessarily a tanned color, just a nice color. I wear it on my face and can forego foundation or powder.

Both are the best. No smell at all. The one in the pink can smells lemony.

No nasty chemicals on your skin to worry about!

LUCKY CHARM - So one is an actual self tanner and the other just gives you color but washes off? I assume you use the self tanner first then the other as needed to maintain color? Could you send me the item #'s to these so I can give them a try - I have plenty of time b4 vacation to try these out - I love the thought of WAY LESS CHEMICALS!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Sandgirl--Good morning! No they both give you lasting color.

The silver can is called Golden Tanning Serum. It's like BE Faux tan in the sense that you get instant color that will get darker (overnight--I always do self tanning overnight.).

Doesn't have than nauseating smell. Currently sold out on shophq, check Suzanne's site. She has some good deals going on sometimes.

The pink can has been my go to all winter, called Healthy Glow (in a kit #307-148). It's a white lotion that gives you a slight hint of tan that lasts a few days. I put it on my face, neck and décolleté and it gives a great healthy color, not necessarily a tan.

What I love about these two products aside from the fact they aren't filled with bad stuff is that they don't smell at all and the color just fades. It doesn't turn your skin into a reptile with spots. BE did that on me and smelled awful.

I would rather run out of makeup than this stuff!

Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2014 Lucky Charm said:

Sandgirl--Good morning! No they both give you lasting color.

The silver can is called Golden Tanning Serum. It's like BE Faux tan in the sense that you get instant color that will get darker (overnight--I always do self tanning overnight.).

Doesn't have than nauseating smell. Currently sold out on shophq, check Suzanne's site. She has some good deals going on sometimes.

The pink can has been my go to all winter, called Healthy Glow (in a kit #307-148). It's a white lotion that gives you a slight hint of tan that lasts a few days. I put it on my face, neck and décolleté and it gives a great healthy color, not necessarily a tan.

What I love about these two products aside from the fact they aren't filled with bad stuff is that they don't smell at all and the color just fades. It doesn't turn your skin into a reptile with spots. BE did that on me and smelled awful.

I would rather run out of makeup than this stuff!

You are so sweet to explain in such full detail. Can I get BOTH items from ShopHQ or do they only carry one of the items, I tried to buy from SS site once but the shipping cost sent me over the edge - Wowzers!!! This is for sure something that sounds like I need to get and try out and I'm happy you mentioned it! I was tempted to buy the Tarte TSV coming in May but now I think I might try these instead!!

Valued Contributor

I have done both -- self tanner (my favorite, by far, is St. Tropez!) and Mystic spray tan (did that twice). I really loved the evenness of the spray tan BUT while on vacation it streaked horribly (salt water is not a spray tan's friend) which was not a good look!! St. Tropez goes on easily and you can see where it's going. As others have said, exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate and then moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!! You have plenty of time to experiment before your October vacation. Good luck in finding what works best for you and have fun on your vacation!!
Super Contributor

I have used Tan Towels for my upper body & legs. Very satisfied.

Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2014 TootyJane said: I have done both -- self tanner (my favorite, by far, is St. Tropez!) and Mystic spray tan (did that twice). I really loved the evenness of the spray tan BUT while on vacation it streaked horribly (salt water is not a spray tan's friend) which was not a good look!! St. Tropez goes on easily and you can see where it's going. As others have said, exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate and then moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!! You have plenty of time to experiment before your October vacation. Good luck in finding what works best for you and have fun on your vacation!!

Soooo, the salt water will ruin my Faux Tan? we are in the water A LOT since we snorkle and boogie board - Urg, maybe Faux Tanning isn't the way to go??