Honored Contributor

Re: Recent visit to Derm ---- Ho-Hum --- Why did I bother???

@tends2dogs 

Yes, my derm. told me that anything regarding what we were discussing is considered cosmetic and would not be paid for by insurance.  We never discussed prices but I really would have agreed to let him proceed to do at least some of the white spots just to see how they turned out!  And also, regarding the RetinA, I know it can be hard on your skin, but I thought there would be different formulas, etc. that a person perhaps could use. Yes, if you could post and let me know how the Dr. Nasif stuff works, that would be great.  Thanks for your nice post!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I think he was telling me what he felt was the best for my skin, considering how sensitive and reactive it is.  But it was just very disappointing, ya know?  At my age, I'm not looking for miracles, but I'd sure like to have rid of these things -- that would make me feel better.  I've had them for quite a while and they don't show any signs of leaving.  I wish!  Thank you very much for your help!

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 

I agree.  I was going to a woman for awhile and she was not helpful at all.  Living in a very small town, I am limited as to what medical help is available.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 

Unfortunately, insurance dictates so much! It is unfair.  Kind of makes you peeved, that's for sure!  

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse 

I actually appreciate your candor!  It sounds like you really tried --- hard --- to get rid of the stupid things and you have not been totally successful.  It's just very discouraging because I really do take care of my skin and don't abuse it.  Even when I was a teen and a young woman, I never had breakouts or bad skin -- I had really nice skin.  I never thought that as an elderly woman, that not only would I have to deal with the issues of aging skin, but now have to deal with all of these issues!  It's really hard to tell I guess why some women are plagued with this and others are not.  I hope some day that we wake up one morning and - poof --- they will be gone!  Thanks for your post, I appreciate it! 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 

Yes, I am considering going to another local derm to see what they say.  I was willing to pay if he was going to do it.  I was going to ask him to just do a few to see how it went.  And also regarding the use of RetinA in some form or fashion, but he was adamant.  So, that was that!  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

I want to thank everone for your replies, your information, and commiserating!  I appreciate it!  

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Skyegirl21 

You have a good outlook!  I used to think my eyes were really nice.  And my hair.  Now, neither one look nice.  So, I'm at the point where I have no confidence in my looks.  DH says --- you're beautiful, but he's prejudiced --- LOL!  It is, what it is, I guess.  

my hair was always thick...my eyes were really nice, too.....at age 71, my hair is very thin....and my eyes are awful....i, too, do not like the way i look...but l am not into lotions and potions....like you said...it is what it is.....

Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal 

I wouldn't think that the Metro Cream would clog, would it??  Maybe it does.  I have no clue any more.  I'm at the point where I am afraid to put any lotion on my skin for fear of more clogging!  Although I do need to put something on because my skin gets dry and irritated if I don't.  But, if I put something on a bit heavier, then I get actual blemishes!  It's a vicious circle!  Thanks!!!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus 

I live in a very small town and there's not much to pick from.  I have a place in mind to get a second opinion but I'm not sure what all of their areas of expertise are.  I'm not a high maintenance person, I'd just like to have my skin look a bit better.  Thank you for your info --- I appreciate it!  

@AngelPuppy1   It must be frustrating for you. I know this issue bothers you.