Honored Contributor

Re: Recent visit to Derm ---- Ho-Hum --- Why did I bother???

Perhaps you are unhappy because you didn't hear what you wanted to hear. Doctors who build up hope, only to fail, aren't doing you a service either. I think he was giving an honest assessment. Of course, a second opinion couldn't hurt.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@RainyDayGal 

I wouldn't think that the Metro Cream would clog, would it??  Maybe it does.  I have no clue any more.  I'm at the point where I am afraid to put any lotion on my skin for fear of more clogging!  Although I do need to put something on because my skin gets dry and irritated if I don't.  But, if I put something on a bit heavier, then I get actual blemishes!  It's a vicious circle!  Thanks!!!  

@AngelPuppy1 , I commiserate with you. I have sensitive, rosacea prone skin. I was also diagnosed with sebaceous hyperplasia. I thought it was milia but it wasn't. It has since cleared up after giving up refined sugar which I think exasperated the problem.

Years ago I went to a Park Ave derm who told me I could never use retin A or any exfoliating products. The times I didn't listen, I paid the price of redness and irritation. 

I respect your derm for being honest. I really think what we eat has a large bearing on the health of our complexion. I went from a lot of redness to an even complexion by changing my diet, using Metrogel and switching back to everything for sensitive skin.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Foxxee 

I had thought of trying to do one myself just to see, but I am chicken!  I'm afraid I will make a mess or get an infection or scare myself up and then look worse!  Yikes!  

@AngelPuppy1 

It depends on how much you want to get rid of them.  You wouldn't get an infection if you use a sterile needle or lancet, then apply Neosporin, and keep your face clean.  You only would be trying one or two to see how it goes.   

I just thought of this, you could also apply a steroid cream to lesson the possibility of permanent redness. Of course, you'd need to know how  rosacea reacts with steroids.  I know that "long term" use can cause rosacea like rashes, but you'd be only using it for a few days.  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1         Your derm sounds like the old school male derms i used to see. One treated me like a "little girl"  but he did use a cautery to zap broken blood vesels around my nose.  i didn't know why i had redness on my cheeks but he never noticed my rosacea.   Then he retired and sent me to another derm who prescribed Metrogel for my rosacea.  He refused to do the cauterization and told me to see a plastic surgeon.

You seem very unhappy with this doctor. Seek another opinion.  Really owe it to yourself to look elsewhere. i would not confine my medical options to only within my town.

btw  i haven't had much rosacea flareup since i no longer work!   i have used Finacea rather than Metrogel. my derm also will only freeze a what she identifies as actinic  keratoses  spots per visit.   On a separate visit for $100 she'll treat cosmetic spots. Medicare won't cover cosmetic.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@tends2dogs 

Yes, my derm. told me that anything regarding what we were discussing is considered cosmetic and would not be paid for by insurance.  We never discussed prices but I really would have agreed to let him proceed to do at least some of the white spots just to see how they turned out!  And also, regarding the RetinA, I know it can be hard on your skin, but I thought there would be different formulas, etc. that a person perhaps could use. Yes, if you could post and let me know how the Dr. Nasif stuff works, that would be great.  Thanks for your nice post!  

@AngelPuppy1  There are different strength's of RetinA.  I currently order the lowest available from alldaychemist in the cream formula and have been successfully using it for about 5 months now.  I have rosacea for many yrs and did many BBL treatments and IPL's plus other laser treatments trying to lessen the broken vessels/redness.  I never could use Metrogel/cream it always made me more RED.  

I began my journey into Retin A to see if I could tolerate it....I began only using it 2 times per week.  I would wash my face and let it dry with no other products on it for 20mins.  Then apply a thin layer of the Retin A ....then some gentle moisturizer.  After a few weeks (about 3) I added in another day.  I worked my way up slowly until I now use it nightly and still apply a moisturizer after.  My forehead is so oily I just use the Retin A but everything else gets a tiny amount of cream to help my skin get used to it.  

I also added in some internal collagen products that really helped me be able to do this.  It is possible to use products with this awful skin disease...just go at it very slowly.

Also there is a online derm placed called Curology that will prescribe specific to your needs and can do very low dose Retin A in the formula...even lower then what I am using.  

Don't give up....just go elsewhere.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG 

I was disappointed because I was hoping he would offer a solution of some sort that I could use!  When he didn't, of course I was upset.  But as I said, I have a long-standing relationship with him and I do value his opinions.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I think that yes, a lot of factors contribute to the condition of our skin.  Some we have control of and some we don't.  I don't have a perfect diet, I sure know that!  But I do try and I try to eat as healthy as I can.  I used to be a lot more experimental with things, and as you said, I really paid a price for it!  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

I don't know what you mean by a steroid cream???  I have been thinking about trying to work on one maybe on my chin which would not be as noticeable as on my cheek, but I haven't made up my mind yet! 

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

Glad you have found some relief!  My skin has not gotten better since retirement.  I thought it would but oddly enough it has gotten worse!  I will not get rid of my current derm because as I said he handles a long-standing serious issue I have.  But I have decided that I will consult with another derm on this issue and see what they say.  If they say the same, then I will just accept it and try and not worry about it.  

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

Thank you for the info.  This gives me a bit of hope!  When you say you order this lower dose RetinA from this company you mentioned, do you have to have a doctor's prescription for it?