Contributor

QVC needs to expand beauty products to work for darker skin women!

I am a dark skin African American women. Why is it that Mally, Laura Geller, It Cosmetics, Doris Dalton, Space NK etc... all totally ignore shades that would work for darker skin types? I am a loyal QVC customer however, I am considering not spending my money with a channel that does not feature beauty product for all of their customer base.

We buy your jewelry, your clothing and your kitchen gadgets, but you can't require your vendors to expand their color palettes to include a larger range of skin tones?

Really?

Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC needs to expand beauty products to work for darker skin women!

There has been no response to OUR question.  I guess my money doesn't spend in the world of cosmetics.  And to think a hundred years of social progress has not seen inclusion.  I am still dismayed because women of color spend more per capita on beauty than any other group.

please ask again.

Respected Contributor

I can't say that I ever really noticed the color choice expanding for those of us that are very fair skinned either. It seems that they only offer the most commonly sold shades in any product. I do know that they don't sell the full range of Bare Minerals because I used a very light shade. I forget which one. I don't buy much in the line of cosmetics here because of that, and I prefer a color match instead of a hit and miss. These ends of the spectrum are quite neglected, especially the darker end since there are very few even at that end of the color charts. Thank you so much for bringing this up. It needs to be addressed to be more inclusive. I am fortunate that they also do offer a great selection of plus sized clothes, so at least they offer that range!
Honored Contributor

I would email a letter off to the PTB at QVC, this is a very important fact.  WOC come in all shades.  If they can sell the colors at the drug stores and dept stores certainly QVC could do better.

I haven't watched QVC much the several years, but in the "olden days" at QVC a couple of vendors used to have lines that worked wonderful for all WOC.  Who was that?  She always sold out too!!  They never had many vendors.  I have also heard tons of complaints like Tigress, that they rarely carry very fair selections.  Even in Perricone the fair is too dark for many!

If you write QVC an email and get a response, please come back here and share!

Honored Contributor

And...........they really have to use a lighter hand with "the yellow" bases......for all shades.   Some of them make me look like I have a kaput liver.................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Hello, a new me! and welcome. Smiley Happy

I don't know if QVC can expand their beauty products now. HSN seems to have scooped them all up. And I think the way it works is that once a shopping channel gets their hands on a brand, that brand can't go to other shopping channels until the contract is up.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Frequent Contributor

I hear you. I think QVC caters to the best selling shades. My shade of foundation is seldom offered. I am a neutral between porcelain and light. I have noticed that department stores don;t offer the variance of colors they once did either. Shoes in my size is another item that is seldom found here - 11.5 N. Oh well.

Contributor

I have raised this issues in forums several times.  I even contacted Mally and Jamie Kern directly - both claimed they were committed to offering dark shades.  When a vendor says "rich", I wonder what that means to them. It and Mally's rich shades barely work on model Brenda's skin tone. 

It is difficult to fathom that certain skin tones are ignored as a matter of course.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @a new me!

Obviously it's not QVC, but Alima Cosmetics offers its Satin Matte Foundation mineral make-up in shades of Cool, Neutral, Beige, Warm, and Olive in shades from light to dark (1-9).  A quick glance at the shades makes it seem as if the Cool 9 is the deepest.

One or more may work for you, if you like mineral make-up.

You can order samples for testing.

I have to add that QVC beauty vendors, if they even mention cool or warm or neutral skin tones, usually gloss over it much too quickly as if it has no importance.  That's one reason I'm now shopping for foundation with Alima.  

Hope you find you something good!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a dark skin African American women. Why is it that Mally, Laura Geller, It Cosmetics, Doris Dalton, Space NK etc... all totally ignore shades that would work for darker skin types? I am a loyal QVC customer however, I am considering not spending my money with a channel that does not feature beauty product for all of their customer base.

We buy your jewelry, your clothing and your kitchen gadgets, but you can't require your vendors to expand their color palettes to include a larger range of skin tones?

Really?

I believe it is a personal choice of what a cosmetic co.wants to offer.  There are cosmetic cos. that sell makeup for black women only.  Is that fair?  Maybe you should take a look at Iman.  Bobbi Brown offers darker shades, Josie Maran,  BareMinerals to name just a few.   I have difficulty finding my shade and I am fair/light. Most of the cosmetic cos. make my choices too yellow so you are not alone.

kindness is strength