Valued Contributor

Please share your favorite haircare for styling....

Hello ladies{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}. I never used hair styling products but now am taking the dive and trying new things. I am looking for it all. Volumizing mouse, gels, serums, paste whatever. What do you like, what do you use it for (smoothing, volume) etc. most of all what would you recommend for making "piecey" hair. I have long hair and need a bit of volume and I guess texture? Hey I am new to it but fun to try new products. Only thing I am extremely fussy about the smell of products. Not a perfumey person. Thanks so much again...can't wait to hear what you use and what it is for.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

No thought is worth thinking.....
Valued Contributor

Re: Please share your favorite haircare for styling....

Hello? Nobody uses product?

Honored Contributor

WEN Styling Creme - acts as a heat protectant
WEN Volumizing Treatment Spray - lighten up the hair and gives volume (can also be used as a hair spray)
WEN Glossing Serum - smooths the hair
WEN Mousse - holds the curls
I have a few hairsprays that I like; Bed Head, Sexy Hair, and Not Your Mothers

Bed Head Manipulator is a good paste for getting the piecey, messed up look.

Valued Contributor

Well thank you Jean! So all cremes act as a heat protectant? I was using the one cream I have as a volumizer lol. Mousse' are for curls? I was using that as a volumizer. I get the hairspray of course I have used that in the past. Oh and the serums I get too. So pastes are for texture and pieces? So many products out there.

Honored Contributor

I use Control Paste by Aveda for texture/piecey look (does not weigh hair down). I also use aquage thickening spray gel which I spray on damp hair before I dry that really thickens my hair -- love it. These are two products I will never replace for something else. These are my HG's.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On 10/3/2014 bunjetto said:

Well thank you Jean! So all cremes act as a heat protectant? I was using the one cream I have as a volumizer lol. Mousse' are for curls? I was using that as a volumizer. I get the hairspray of course I have used that in the past. Oh and the serums I get too. So pastes are for texture and pieces? So many products out there.

Not necessarily. I realize my response may have been too general. Some products are multi-purpose. WEN styling creme is not like other styling cremes. While mousses helps to hold curl, they can also be for volume. Pastes are like glue. Personally, I think they're more suited to shorter, spiky, pieced styles than for long hair. If you have never used styling products, you might want to sort out exactly what you want to achieve and then start doing your research from there.

Valued Contributor

Thanks again Jean. I am looking for a little volume and that piecy look. I do have long, on the thick side hair so don't want anything to weigh it down. Thought I would have gotten more replies on this. I will just continue to try new things. I did buy the new styling cream by Edward Bess it was amazing but I couldn't tolerate the fragrance.

Respected Contributor

I have long thick hair too and just got myself a new ""product"" I LOVE.....a new hot roller set! The ""Infinity Pro"" by Conair has 8 BIG 2"" rollers and boy do they give me volume. Not so much curl but body and bounce. They might work for you too. Got mine at Amazon.

Valued Contributor

I have become obsessed with Living Proof Prime Style Extender. I can go 4 days before I have to wash and style my hair (I have long hair past my shoulders that I usually wear in a pony or clipped up). I wash my hair with sulfate free shampoo (currently Living Proof Volume Shampoo....but any sulfate free shampoo works for me), I don't use any conditioner at all in the shower because my hair doesn't do will with it...caused hair loss. That is why I can't use Wen. I use Aveeno's spray on, leave in, conditioner on my ends after my hair is towel dried, then I use a 50 cent size glob of LPPSE, distribute well, and blow dry. My hair has never looked this good and like I said, I can go 4 days before I need to wash it again, which has helped maintain my color. I will say that I don't use a lot of product on my hair when it is dry which would add to build up, but this stuff is amazing. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}