Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice website dependable source for cosmetic information & reviews .

It is a good site for reference but I have found that products rated highly by her are actually do not work for me at all so I started to be a little skeptical. Nonetheless she still shares a lot of useful information.

Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice website dependable source for cosmetic information & reviews .

That is why they call her The Cosmetics Cop!!!

Super Contributor

She has great information and I am also very impressed with her skincare line(finally getting makeup optional skin) - the entire site is 15% off until June 3rd

She has an excellent Vit C serum and now it is $38 dollars on sale ( still not cheap but compared to some others its a good deal)

Trusted Contributor

I agree that the site is a very useful tool for all things cosmetic and skincare related. I don't always find her reviews 100% as it applies to my skin but I like reading up on ingredients and other valuable information.

I think, like any other source one might use, that it can be of enormous assistance but for me, it is not the final say on what I do and don't buy. Paula has a real issue with expensive skincare and while I don't doubt her research, I do invest in some products she doesn't rate well yet they have performed well for me.

We all have such unique skin and what works great for some can be a complete fail for others so it's always important to stay conscious of our own unique skin types, issues and preferences when buying any of our cosmetics or skin care.

I am curious if Paula has made any statements or expressed any opinions on her site regarding some of the latest technology and machines many here use. And also derma rolling. It would be interesting to read what her thoughts are on those. While I feel Dr. Setterfield is probably the most reliable source for derma rolling, it would still be interesting to read if Paula had an opinion about it.

Honored Contributor

On 5/7/2014 wackers said:

I agree that the site is a very useful tool for all things cosmetic and skincare related. I don't always find her reviews 100% as it applies to my skin but I like reading up on ingredients and other valuable information.

I think, like any other source one might use, that it can be of enormous assistance but for me, it is not the final say on what I do and don't buy. Paula has a real issue with expensive skincare and while I don't doubt her research, I do invest in some products she doesn't rate well yet they have performed well for me.

We all have such unique skin and what works great for some can be a complete fail for others so it's always important to stay conscious of our own unique skin types, issues and preferences when buying any of our cosmetics or skin care.

I am curious if Paula has made any statements or expressed any opinions on her site regarding some of the latest technology and machines many here use. And also derma rolling. It would be interesting to read what her thoughts are on those. While I feel Dr. Setterfield is probably the most reliable source for derma rolling, it would still be interesting to read if Paula had an opinion about it.

wackers, what I've found is that she does try to provide options for those who can't or choose not to buy very expensive products. But I have seen give "best" rating to many of them, my foundation being one example. When it's skincare, she might give a good rating but then add that there are equally good options that are less expensive.

As for derma rolling, those who are fans will probably not agree with her take on the procedure, but here it is: Are Derma Rollers Worth It?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

SuzyQ3 - I absolutely agree with you that she offers good options for those who really can't (or just choose not to) invest in pricier skincare. And it's a great benefit for all. But you are right that even Paula gives good ratings to more expensive products while noting that cheaper alternatives are available.

My overall feeling on Paula is she offers great information and provides consumers with so much in depth knowledge. As with any site that reviews and rates products, I evaluate all the info and then determine what I feel will work best for my skin. When I first discovered Paula's site, I read it like the Bible but have come to regard it now as a great source along with other sites I value.

That's interesting that Paula is not a derma rolling fan (or so it sounds from your slight warning) but in a way that also doesn't surprise me. I will click on your link and read it for sure. I am so comfortable and confident with the approach and lengthy research Dr. Setterfield has done with derma rolling, there is likely little Paula could say to alter my thoughts about it but look forward to reading what she says.

I think it will take a lot more years before derma rolling is widely accepted and what may cause that to take even longer is those who just plunge into it without educating themselves properly and either see no results because of that or even worse, damage their own skin because they were so zealous in their approach without learning how the skin does rebuild itself.

thanks much for the link Smile

Honored Contributor

On 5/7/2014 wackers said:

SuzyQ3 - I absolutely agree with you that she offers good options for those who really can't (or just choose not to) invest in pricier skincare. And it's a great benefit for all. But you are right that even Paula gives good ratings to more expensive products while noting that cheaper alternatives are available.

My overall feeling on Paula is she offers great information and provides consumers with so much in depth knowledge. As with any site that reviews and rates products, I evaluate all the info and then determine what I feel will work best for my skin. When I first discovered Paula's site, I read it like the Bible but have come to regard it now as a great source along with other sites I value.

That's interesting that Paula is not a derma rolling fan (or so it sounds from your slight warning) but in a way that also doesn't surprise me. I will click on your link and read it for sure. I am so comfortable and confident with the approach and lengthy research Dr. Setterfield has done with derma rolling, there is likely little Paula could say to alter my thoughts about it but look forward to reading what she says.

I think it will take a lot more years before derma rolling is widely accepted and what may cause that to take even longer is those who just plunge into it without educating themselves properly and either see no results because of that or even worse, damage their own skin because they were so zealous in their approach without learning how the skin does rebuild itself.

thanks much for the link Smile

You're very welcome, wackers. I hope that you know that I posted it only because you mentioned your curiosity and not because I was advocating one way or the other.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Since I was probably 12 yrs old I have been into beauty and skincare. I did all my friends hair (cutting, perming, coloring, styling and updos) and makeup all the time, I loved it.

For my 16th birthday in 1986 my mom bought me my first Paula Begoun book and I have been hooked ever since.

She is more knowledgeable about skin CARE than a lot (actually most) of derms I have met. There is simply no one else in the beauty industry like her. I also think her company has the best customer service in the business. She is an extremely smart business woman and has a great business model.

She is also the person who after being a stylist and colorist for over 10 yrs made me decide to become an aesthetician.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

I recently started using her own brand of foundation . It's RESIST , instant smoothing anti-aging foundation , for all skin types . The slip is good but even a tiny bit better with a dab of moisturizer underneath first . Also , I always use porcelain shade in every line , but her porcelain is the lightest I've ever found ! It's almost too light for me . I may order the next darker shade and blend them together , for Summer anyway . The foundation lasts all day , only needing blotting after 8 hours . It's a light to medium coverage ....but I use one application & it's just right . It looks so natural . I also liked her samples of a "natural sourced " moisturizer , but unsure if that's the correct name . ..........Lastly , a sample size vial of BHA ( $ 5 ) lasts a week & is the best product for pores & other skin issues like bumps , etc. Info is listed with product description online. The results show in a few days not weeks . Hands down the best product IMHO. Just gently & carefully , open the little black cap on glass vial , or it will spill all over ! Not good Smiley Sad .... Tip the vial upside down on a fingertip , then upright again . Use only the pea-sized amount of clear serum , left on fingertip , for each area that needs addressing . I never used more than 2 little dabs at bedtime & the vial lasted 7-10 days . It goes a long way . You won't need more than a week to see results . I saw results begin in 2 applications . I found the samples to be a good deal , when you just want to try a product , without buying a larger size at first .
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/7/2014 ildiko said:

It is a good site for reference but I have found that products rated highly by her are actually do not work for me at all so I started to be a little skeptical. Nonetheless she still shares a lot of useful information.

I found the same thing. Back when I first discovered her, I was having problems with my oily skin. Everything she recommended made it worse. After awhile, I started to see that her advice always gave me the exact opposite result of what I was looking for. So I stopped taking her advice, and I remain skeptical.

I know that lots of people love her. (If you do a search, you'll see that her name has come up in these forums many times.) But I'm just not impressed with her at all.

Kiss