Respected Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice website dependable source for cosmetic information & reviews .

Paula's site as well as Makeupalley.com has saved me a lot of money over the years.

Respected Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice website dependable source for cosmetic information & reviews .

On 6/7/2014 culebra said:

Paula's site as well as Makeupalley.com has saved me a lot of money over the years.

So true culebra, from someone who does read reviews, but factored w/ my own good judgement.

When MUA added the age group feature, it was the smartest move possible, short of requiring everyone to list their skin-type, coloring, etc. -- I'm simply not as interested in what the 18-24 year old thinks is the best thing since sliced bread.

Respected Contributor

If Paula would only leave off her products in the ratings mire, it would be a more credible rating system. It's a given the products she's created are in the best category for anyone with half a brain, or she wouldn't have a skincare line. So simple, yet she continues to rate her products too.

I know I've droned this ad nauseam by now, but you'd think Paula would catch on to this. Allow OTHERS to toot your horn. It lends much more credibility.

Respected Contributor

On 6/6/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 6/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 6/6/2014 Harpa said:
On 6/5/2014 HappyDaze said:

I've said it a million times and I will say it again- Paula was reviewing products well before she started selling her own line.

All new lines start because a.) they think they can do better than the products already out there and/or b.) they can't find products that do what they want them to do. So that is pretty much why Paula started her line, that is why ALL lines get started.

I just don't see motives being as pure as all that.

She probably also wanted to make money. Otherwise, I'd be getting my skincare products for free.

yeah, imagine getting paid for something you are passionate about and that you've created as a result of all the time and effort and research you've put into it. Scandalous! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

HappyDaze.... {#emotions_dlg.laugh}...{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Trusted Contributor

On 6/7/2014 Funloving said:

If Paula would only leave off her products in the ratings mire, it would be a more credible rating system. It's a given the products she's created are in the best category for anyone with half a brain, or she wouldn't have a skincare line. So simple, yet she continues to rate her products too.

I know I've droned this ad nauseam by now, but you'd think Paula would catch on to this. Allow OTHERS to toot your horn. It lends much more credibility.

I am one who agrees that the Paula Begoun review team should not include Paula's Choice products in the reviews @ Beautipedia. ALL of them are rated BEST, which is to be expected, and the reviews seem self serving. Just this morning, I received an email with the subject line 8 Retinol Products You Need to Know About and two of the 8 rated BEST were Paula's. Well, DUH!! I think it would be more credible to remove the individual product reviews and simply have a statement regarding the reasons Paula believes all of her private label products are the BEST.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Honored Contributor

I expressed the same opinion earlier that it would probably be best if she didn't rate her own products (although it doesn't annoy me too much).

So it looks as if we actually have a consensus here on a thread that earlier on seemed as if it were headed for poofdom.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 6/7/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I expressed the same opinion earlier that it would probably be best if she didn't rate her own products (although it doesn't annoy me too much).

So it looks as if we actually have a consensus here on a thread that earlier on seemed as if it were headed for poofdom.

You know I think I remember her asking for those who were using her line to submit reviews and they would choose one to either be featured in her book or online (can't remember which). This was back when she first came out with her line. It is a good idea in my opinion to let users review the products. I'm pretty sure she doesn't do this now.

Honored Contributor

On 6/7/2014 myshell624 said:
On 6/7/2014 suzyQ3 said:

So it looks as if we actually have a consensus here on a thread that earlier on seemed as if it were headed for poofdom. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

You know I think I remember her asking for those who were using her line to submit reviews and they would choose one to either be featured in her book or online (can't remember which). This was back when she first came out with her line. It is a good idea in my opinion to let users review the products. I'm pretty sure she doesn't do this now.

I'm confused here. Nothing new about that. Smile You can leave a review for any of her products on her site. There are tons of them. I've left several myself. And I always read them.

BTW, the reviews are not always positive. They are as mixed as I see on any company's site.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

This was years ago when she sent emails of her new reviews. It may have even been as far back as the newspaper like reviews she used to mail out. The reviews were to be either emailed or sent in. There was a format you were asked to follow. The reviews were not posted on her site. Think of how they review a product. You know talk about ingredients, skin types it would benefit, feel on skin etc. That is how they asked reviewers to send them in. It was kind of like a contest. I think the winning reviewer may have even got something for free.

Honored Contributor

On 6/7/2014 myshell624 said:

This was years ago when she sent emails of her new reviews. It may have even been as far back as the newspaper like reviews she used to mail out. The reviews were to be either emailed or sent in. There was a format you were asked to follow. The reviews were not posted on her site. Think of how they review a product. You know talk about ingredients, skin types it would benefit, feel on skin etc. That is how they asked reviewers to send them in. It was kind of like a contest. I think the winning reviewer may have even got something for free.

Ah, okay, you go way farther back than I do. I'd never heard of her before I started reading in this forum. Oh, I think maybe I had the something about a book of hers, but that was about it.