Respected Contributor

Re: Ongoing nail/cuticle issues

@StillRachB wrote:
@Leeny thanks for the sympathy and the advice! I have lots of body butter so I may try this starting tonight. I polished my nails a couple of hours ago. They're not quite hard/dry. Hoping they will be within the hour so I can slather on some butter and go to bed.

Also, I just want to add, it doesn't have to be expensive body butter. I purchased mine at TJ Maxx. Good Luck. 

Valued Contributor

I feel the same about glass nail files. I've tried them a couple of times, but it really is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Just can't do it. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StillRachB It sounds like you've done way too much filing along the sidewall area of your nail and have broken the seal that is there to help protect you from infection. The white strip of nail is most likely the edge of the nail lifting from the nail bed.

If the skin along the edge is rough, excessive filing won't help in the long run. The body builds a callous for protection. Filing it all away essentially sends a message to the body that it hasn't built up enough protection...so more callous forms.

You may want to check with your doctor and see if they have any suggestions that might be helpful. I'm with the othesr here who recommend using a good cuticle oil frequently. Hopefully, if you can stop re-injuring the area, your nails will grow out normally. But this process will take several months (nails grow approximately 1.3 - 1.6 inches per year).

As far as cuticle oil is concerned, the size and shape of the molecules and the fatty acid composition are the two most important factors. A well designed formulation is going to work better than any single oil. I haven't tried many oils, but I'll add my vote to those recommending Solar Oil by CND. It absorbs really well. Apply it frequently and maybe massage it in a bit, and you should notice at least some change in the skin roughness within a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

edited to add: Regarding nail files. I agree that glass nail files are the best (as long as they're etched (there are some that have the grit glued on), preferably Czech. But I get that some people don't like the sound they sometimes make (and I literally mean "sometimes." I've absolutely no idea why sometimes I hear it and most times I don't.) When using a regular nail file, just make sure it's a very fine grit.

Esteemed Contributor

I had nail issues for years as a result of the medication that I have to take. Prior to that I was a part time hand model so I went from one end of the scale to the other. Here's what I found that works for me nad got me back to healthy nails:

T.I.P.S- Cuticle oil for around your nails,under the nail and over the nail. It helps replace some of the nutrients that are now missing from your nails. A little goes a long way and the bottle lasts and lasts.

A.S.K. polish remover---This is the first polish remover that i found that does not strip my nails and dry them out further. It actually conditions the nail bed as it removes the polish.

Perfect Formula and Pro Strong nail products.  Both of these lines work for me for color polish and problem solving.

Crystal nail file.  Not all crystal nail files are the same quality. Make sure you have a good one because one that is not can create those little jagged edges and it just keeps that process ongoing with that sliver "nail" or ripping or tearing.

Hope this helps you.

Super Contributor

So I've been treating my nails/cuticles as instructed in the video via the link below. Except I actually don't cut anything, after applying oil and pushing the cuticle back, I'm able to remove the excess by using a fingernail on the opposite hand to gently scrape it off. I'm hoping by eliminating all the cutting that I was doing that my sidewalls will eventually repair themselves and grow in properly. Here's hoping.

http://manicure.wonderhowto.com/how-to/remove-fingernail-cuticles-safely-with-cuticle-oil-and-cuticl...

Trusted Contributor

@StillRachB Just have lots of patience and don't give up! A couple of comments on the video...Once you get the the built up (for lack of a better term) cuticle off, you really only need to push slightly along the proximal (nearest the body edge) a bit as needed to remove the new edge as it grows out. Also, it seemed to me she was pushing a bit too hard when cleaning under the free edge. There's a "seal" under there also. And the sidewalls help form a seal on the two sides, so all fours sides of the nail bed (the actual flesh under the nail plate) is protected.. 

Super Contributor

@juperior I don't do anything under the free edge. For the most part, that part of my nails is clean.
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

What is currently working for me and my nails are the best that they have ever been is that I am using a cheap coconut oil.  I keep it in my bathroom on my vanity and every time that I wash my hands, I dip them in the oil.  I then rub it in and then use a towel to wipe of the excess. 

This is a cheap and easy fix and I hope that the results last.

@SXMGirl-

I do the same- plus so much more with coconut oil.  I really like the product "Turn Back Time" by Deborah Lippmann as a smoothing base coat with none of the nasty ingredients.

Respected Contributor

It's been 4.5 years since my last chemo treatment.  Talk about wreaking havoc on nails.  I'm lucky I didn't lose any like many women do.