Respected Contributor

OY yi yi..So what do we need more, Collagen, or Hyaluronic????

Back, and forth, and back..one vendor says we need collagen, another hyaluronic. Let's not mention the other thousand ingredients our skin needs. As far as these two go...which would you say we benefit most from?

Just want to add... I just contacted hsn on Dr. Graf's collagen line, because they are not listing specific ingredients . ( Makes me turn away) She made BIG claims about our skin needing this ingredient, and her product delivering. No ingredient list!!.. I don't use her products after not seeing any results whatsoever...but wanted to see an ingredient list. I also heard her say collagen is the most important ingredient. So...please offer your thoughts...Thank-you!!

Honored Contributor

Re: OY yi yi..So what do we need more, Collagen, or Hyaluronic????

I think you need both. I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that collagen supports the inner workings of the skin like firmness and elasticity while hyaluronic acid provides moisture.

Honored Contributor

Her ingredients are nothing special, average at best.

Honored Contributor

I don't blame you for wanting an ingredient list.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

A collagen molecule can't penetrate the skin. If anyone is touting collagen as a beneficial topical ingredient, they are feeding you a line of cr@$. Spend your money on a retinol or vitamin c product instead. And wear a sunscreen. Hyaluronic acid is a temporary plumper that doesn't have any long term benefits. I like it what it does and know that when I wash my face, I also wash away the hyaluronic acid. Some say that peptides cause us to produce more collagen. I think the jury is still out on peptides. I am not a doctor. This info is just my opinion based on hours of research on the internet.
Esteemed Contributor

Not topical collagen, (which is useless for the skin) but you need to build your own collagen. Eat healthy & exercise (all contributes to building healthy bones & collagen, as that affects everything).

But the other way to build collagen, especially as we age, because that process naturally slows down, is to keep your surface facial skin turning over w/ gentle exfoliation (manual or other -- not w/ topical collagen) every 28 days or so.

That turning over (unless you have acne, which would require a more aggressive approach for a period of time) obviously is different from one person to the next.

Hylauronic acid is an ingredient that holds/draws moisture to the skin, in order for your skin to be as plump on the outside as possible, as well as feeling comfortable (if you are too dry, you get that uncomfortable, tight feeling -- you want tight, but not from dryness).

HA is in a short list of other ingredients that works the same way.

Respected Contributor

Ohh...thought they say they reduced the molecule size of collagen so it can go into the skin??

Honored Contributor

Your own body produces collagen, but it produces less as you grow older. Topical collagen cannot penetrate the skin. Not sure if they have nano-ized it to penetrate or even if it would have any benefit if it did. I would be more inclined to want something that encourages collagen growth.

Hyaluronic acid draws and holds water, causing your skin to plump, thus reducing the APPEARANCE of wrinkles, not eliminating them.

Exfoliation is good, however, I think most people are overdoing it these days.