Super Contributor

Re: O/T Watching the TV Show Shark Tank and Barbara Is Busting On QVC

I noticed that many food items have shipping included now. I would not be surprised if they made the vendor pay for it.
Trusted Contributor

I watched shark tank and she did talk about food items. First if Laurie was there Barbara would not have been on. They are never on at the same time. An this show was not a repeat, all the new shows are on every Friday night. A friend of mine was a vendor awhile back on Qvc and he told me that they take 60% from the products and there was also something about shipping which I can't recall. I think that's why you see a lot of vendors moving around to other shopping channels. I see Kathy vanzealand is now on shophq.
Trusted Contributor

I watched shark tank and she did talk about food items. First if Laurie was there Barbara would not have been on. They are never on at the same time. An this show was not a repeat, all the new shows are on every Friday night. A friend of mine was a vendor awhile back on Qvc and he told me that they take 60% from the products and there was also something about shipping which I can't recall. I think that's why you see a lot of vendors moving around to other shopping channels. I see Kathy vanzealand is now on shophq.
Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2014 luvtoshopathome said: I watched shark tank and she did talk about food items. First if Laurie was there Barbara would not have been on. They are never on at the same time. An this show was not a repeat, all the new shows are on every Friday night. A friend of mine was a vendor awhile back on Qvc and he told me that they take 60% from the products and there was also something about shipping which I can't recall. I think that's why you see a lot of vendors moving around to other shopping channels. I see Kathy vanzealand is now on shophq.

Barbara and Laurie are on at the same time. When that happens Daymond is not on which I hate. According to the previews, both ladies will be on next week's show.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Valued Contributor

Does Lori have any food products on QVC? Had she been there, I don't think she would have given the lady money. I thought the price was high for a mix that made 4 waffles. Didn't the lady say she sold the product at Target? I will check to see what they are selling it for. I don't see the mix taking off but good for her if it does.

Respected Contributor

I've also noticed that the food items from the Q all have shipping included. I've never ordered a food item and often wondered if a food item was shipped directly from the vendor (to keep it fresh). But I would think the vendor would include the price of shipping into the cost of the item.

Super Contributor

Barbara said Q gets multiple returns on food items and the vendor pays for shipping. I didn't know this but I guess it makes sense. I'm not surprised that they 'buy low/sell high', I think most of what they sell in every category can be found cheaper elsewhere.

What always gets me is that Lori talks about how important it is to her to bring good value to the consumer. Most of her QVC stuff is IMO, highly overpriced. One example I can think of is those scrub daddy sponges--saw them in a store for much cheaper than on Q, and no shipping.

That was a new show last night, and I've seen Barbara and Lori on together, so not accurate that they never appear at the same time.

Super Contributor

The selling point of this overpriced Pancake Mix was that it contained no "Powdered Dairy". If there were other products, I didn't notice any.

This segment had nothing to do with Barbara being "mean". Barbara wanted to help this vendor market her product in "Big Box" stores because the margins are higher. QVC margins are low and the vendor and in addition would have to eat the shipping costs. Then, if there are any customer complaints, vendor incurs more losses.

QVC was not a good fit for this particular food item. Some of these potential vendors walk in with no real business plan. Why would you position a product in a market where you would get no margin?

Regular Contributor

It was my understanding that vendors eat shipping costs on returns, i.e., customer complaints.

Contributor

From what I understand Barbara saying is that if there is inventory left they make you pay the shipping , did anyone else catch that .

I like Barbara she isn't as greedy as most on there.