Respected Contributor

Not washing your hair for 3-1/2 weeks

I heard the Tweak'd man saying he did that. I'm sorry but that's just gross. I do buy his shampoo but I do not like his claims that you should keep your hair away from water because it damages it. I work out every day and I wash my hair every day.

Does he think that scalps don't sweat like the rest of your body? I wish he would stop pushing that idea. It's not pleasant to be on an elevator with someone who avoids showering for days on end, much less WEEKS on end!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Not washing your hair for 3-1/2 weeks

Ugh....the thought of not washing your hair for almost a month? That's gross. Why would a vendor say that?! 

Honored Contributor

I only wash my hair every other day or two, but that doesn't mesn that I don't shower every day!

Honored Contributor

I shower every day but only wash my hair every few days.  

Honored Contributor

I cannot imagine not shampooing every day.

On another note. A company I worked for could not gather statics on toothpaste because they could not find any participants that would NOT brush their teeth for 30 days.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I heard the Tweak'd man saying he did that. I'm sorry but that's just gross. I do buy his shampoo but I do not like his claims that you should keep your hair away from water because it damages it. I work out every day and I wash my hair every day.

Does he think that scalps don't sweat like the rest of your body? I wish he would stop pushing that idea. It's not pleasant to be on an elevator with someone who avoids showering for days on end, much less WEEKS on end!

@santorini 

I think it's possible you misunderstood him.  Did he really say he doesn't SHOWER for weeks on end, or doesn't wash his hair daily?  

You also assume that everyone's scalp sweats excessively.  Mine doesn't.

I have read elsewhere that some people abuse their hair by washing it too often.   I shower daily but would never wash my hair daily. 

BTW, if someone is short of time to do their hair, there's a lot of very good dry shampoos available.  I have tried many and have used them for years.  Some of them not only absorb dirt and oil but also add volume to the hair.  I love them.

Honored Contributor

Maybe he doesn't use shampoo but something else that wouldn't be considered 'washing' in the traditional sense. Like co-washing sort of.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only wash my hair once a week or sometimes every two weeks, as do, many women of color. As I'm multiracial, I have very curly, frizzy hair. My daughter in law is Filipino with thick,very straight oily hair. She washes it with every shower. My 8 year old granddaughter has very long thick, curly, beautiful hair. I had to convince her mom not to wash it everyday and to use a leave in condition and moisturizer. Water is it's enemy, as is humidity. Water makes curly frizzy hair dry and frizzier. After washing my hair, I roller set it and sit under a hair dryer. I have done this since I stopped wearing pigtails that my mom use to do(about age 12). Not being fortunate enough to have wash and wear hair, does not allow many of us, to wash our hair several times a month, as it requires too much time and work. Even if I have it blown dry, it won't last long depending on the weather or humidity in the bathroom.😅 I guess it's an ethnic thing. Many Hispanic and Black women certainly understand this!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I think he says water is the enemy of hair, and I've heard that before.  Curlies often go days between washes, especially those with thick hair.  Now, I don't shower every day, more like every other day unless I'm working out in the yard or something.  We only bathed once a week when I was growing up, and I'm sure earlier generations went even longer between baths.  

I've never figured out a way to shower and not wet my hair down and have it look even halfway decent afterwards.  I usually get my hair appt. on a workout day, so I shower and then put my hair up in a scrunchie until my appointment.  But, I don't want to wear my hair up in a scrunchie just so I can shower every day.  

Back to the water being the enemy of hair.  I beleive he has said you shouldn't even get it wet, and that is where I say no thanks.  I often spritz my hair down pretty well with water on non-ahower days.  That's not going to change no matter what Denis says.  I only actually shampoo my hair once a week unless, again, I've been out working in the yard and feel particularly sweaty.  On other shower days I use a cleansing conditioner, so it's like washing it.  

Respected Contributor

I am caucasian but have very dry hair and my scalp doesnt sweat, I do the same thing, I only wash once a week, I sometimes go two weeks.

@Starpolisher wrote:

I only wash my hair once a week or sometimes every two weeks, as do, many women of color. As I'm multiracial, I have very curly, frizzy hair. Water is it's enemy, as is humidity. After washing my hair, I roller set it and sit under a hair dryer. I have done this since I stopped wearing pigtails that my mom use to do(about age 12). Not being fortunate enough to have wash and wear hair, does not allow many of us, to wash our hair several times a month, as it requires too much time and work. Even if I have it blown dry, it won't last long depending on the weather or humidity in yhe bathroom.😅 I guess it's an ethnic thing. Many Hispanic and Black women certainly understand this!