Honored Contributor

Re: New Wen girl looking to branch out with her CC

On 8/20/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Is your hair normally oily, normal, or dry? If it needs a lot of moisture, as most wavy/curly hair tends to, I would stick to Fig or plan on mixing Fig with whatever else you get. I've tried most formulas (not lavender, because I'm allergic) and have found that Fig is the only one that gives me enough moisture for my waves and curls on its own. I use it alone or mix it with anything that doesn't work alone.

Keep that in mind of you get Lavender and it doesn't work for you - mix it with fig. You can either mix it in your hand or do a first cleanse with Lavender and a second with Fig. Good luck!

Dry! Dry! Dry! That's why I never put a blow dryer to it or anything else. Just air dry, always or I have Buckwheat's hairstyle. I did not think of mixing even though I hear about it all the time. I might try it. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 islandgrrl said:

I agree with those who are steering you away from lavender. It was much too drying for my curly locks. In addition to the good advice here, you might glance at the 'women of color' conversation here on the WEN boards. Many women with 'ethnic' hair have needs similar to yours -- moisture, control, and seeking soft curls. You will find kindred spirits in that conversation.

You are so right. Before I found Wen the looks I would get from the cashiers whenever I was buying women of color products were priceless. Hey, I have the head of hair that I have. My last name supposedly even means curly haired. Thanks, Grandpop!

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 CamilleP said:

I'm glad you are not trying Lavender, it's on the "light moisture" end of the spectrum for me, which is normally about right, but I'm mildly allergic to lavender so I hardly ever use it. Love the scent, not the scalp issues the day after. For me, the perfect balance when I need moisture is the seasonal Fall Ginger Pumpkin, so if it turns out that the 32oz AD of seasonals offers that as a choice, you might want to try it, it's almost as moisturizing as Fig. Fall Apple Spice is another soy-based seasonal that's moisture-rich, it's actually too heavy for my fine hair, as Fig is. I like the many of the soy based cleansers, but not Pom, based on scent alone, I like TT and Fig better than Pom on the smell criteria. If you are getting good results with Fig, I'd advise staying with that for the TSV, and ordering one of the 16 ounce duos in SAM/POM, so you can try them to see if you like either of them better than Fig, then, if you do, you can switch your TSV AD for following shipments (if the Q lets you, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't).

Thank you so much. I've steered clear of seasonals because if I find something I love I don't do well when it is taken away from me. But it sounds like some of them come back eventually?

Honored Contributor

I can't use Pom or SAM alone or my hair gets dry. You can try them, but keep Fig on hand to use with them. I can use anything as long as I also use Fig.

Fig, to me, is one of my least favorite WEN scents, but I use it because it's so effective. The scent doesn't linger and I use SAM as my leave-in.

Respected Contributor

On 8/20/2014 Laura14 said:

Thank you so much. I've steered clear of seasonals because if I find something I love I don't do well when it is taken away from me. But it sounds like some of them come back eventually?

Laura, there have been a few hints that the upcoming 32 ounce seasonal auto-delivery might include previous years' seasonal formulas, one such "sneak peek" pictured the newest fall formula, T*u*s*c*a*n Pear (Q filters ban the Italian region's name for some odd reason), along with Apple Spice and Ginger Pumpkin. Until such a program is offered for sale here, I am not counting on it, but if it is offered, I will start the A/D and then, for winter, get as many Winter Vanilla Mints as I can possibly afford to buy, as that original winter formula was the one true perfect WEN for my hair. One thing I have learned from the long-time WEN users is that, if you do find a perfect formula, stock up when you can. I like SAM, TT and CA, can use Fig sparingly, Lavender rarely, and cannot stand the scent of POM, but some of the seasonal formulas I truly love, so if the opportunity arises to get them again, I'm going for it.

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 CamilleP said:
On 8/20/2014 Laura14 said:<br />

Laura, there have been a few hints that the upcoming 32 ounce seasonal auto-delivery might include previous years' seasonal formulas, one such "sneak peek" pictured the newest fall formula, T*u*s*c*a*n Pear (Q filters ban the Italian region's name for some odd reason), along with Apple Spice and Ginger Pumpkin. Until such a program is offered for sale here, I am not counting on it, but if it is offered, I will start the A/D and then, for winter, get as many Winter Vanilla Mints as I can possibly afford to buy, as that original winter formula was the one true perfect WEN for my hair. One thing I have learned from the long-time WEN users is that, if you do find a perfect formula, stock up when you can. I like SAM, TT and CA, can use Fig sparingly, Lavender rarely, and cannot stand the scent of POM, but some of the seasonal formulas I truly love, so if the opportunity arises to get them again, I'm going for it.

Thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone! I guess we are sticking with Fig and I will try the seasonals you guys suggested if they ever show up again. Writing these down...

Honored Contributor

Well my hair is only wavy and Lav left it a complete puff ball, plus with the menthol I think it smells horrible. I tried that quiz thing on Chaz's site and it kept recommending CC that I've tried and my hair doesn't like so...

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

I too have very dry hair, but mine is naturally blonde so it's on the fine/normal side, and it's wavy/curly/FRIZZY. I LOVE the lavender CC scent, but it's too drying for my hair. It's meant for fine hair that needs volume. I wish it were moisturizing because I would love to be able to use it! I also love the extra menthol in it, I love using it, until my hair dries into a parched frizzball.

I use Fig/TT, and am thinking of trying SAM, but not sure if it will be moisturizing enough for me. I too did not get Fig as my recommendation from the website, but kept getting POM, SAM and LAV. Or SHP, POM, SAM. SHP didn't work for me, I'm one of the few that doesn't like it. Honestly I think my hair type is never happy and nothing really seems to work well for me, I wasn't very happy with my website diagnosis.

I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me, good luck and I hope you find what's best for your hair Laura!

Honored Contributor

You didn't say whether your hair is oily, dry or normal, so I'm not sure what to recommend, but I like the Lavender.

By the way ...... why don't you get your hair straightened so it will be a lot less trouble? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}