Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Because beauty isn't only makeup. Oyvay!!! 😄😁😂

This is true. But your opening post and subsequent replies are all about using less products and going for natural hair. So it does seem as if this is a thread about products -- or the lack thereof -- not about anything more philosophical or about inner beauty.

I'm not criticizing but only trying to help you understand why a poster may have wondered about including this here instead of, say, Among Friends or maybe Community Chat.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: Natual Sisterhood🙋

[ Edited ]

Actually I am of the belief that after a certain age you do have to do "something".

In my 20's I loved to play full on with all the make-up of the day. Then as I made my way professionally, there was a certain amount of having to have a certain "look".

In my 50's some of the tried and true products didn't work the same (ex. Bare Minerals suddenly was making me look dry and was settling where it shouldn't!) I was realizing that less is more.

In my early 60's now. It depends on the season, in summer I can get by with less. Sunscreen, primer and concealer for sure. Blush, fill in my brows and mascara. A good flattering lip. Done. Winter takes a bit more, but still lighter than I used to do!

Dress up is a whole other gig....

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

This is true. But your opening post and subsequent replies are all about using less products and going for natural hair. So it does seem as if this is a thread about products -- or the lack thereof -- not about anything more philosophical or about inner beauty.

I'm not criticizing but only trying to help you understand why a poster may have wondered about including this here instead of, say, Among Friends or maybe Community Chat.

@suzyQ3 You hit the nail on the head.

Respected Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity I never said it was. This forum isnt geared to philosophy necessarily.

And what's to say that women who enjoy and wear lots of makeup arent as invested in 'inner beauty'?

Respected Contributor

Wow, I thought this was going to be about wearing makeup versus going all naturel. I am in my early 60's and I always wear makeup. Is it heavy? No. But I will say if I didn't wear any makeup, everyone would be asking me if I was feeling ok or did I not get a good nights sleep? I am very fair and have dark circles under my eyes that I inherited from my father. I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without my makeup being on. Also I do highlight my hair. If you had my hair you would understand why. I just want to look and feel my best.

Contributor

I am now 65 and retired after 40+ years in Nursing.  I have never worn very much make up throughout my whole life.  I hate the feel of it on my skin.  I feel like I can't breathe, lol.  On special occasions, I wear mascara, blush, and lip color, sometimes use a little kohl pencil on my eyes.  I quit coloring my hair a few years ago and I love my short, naturally wavy silver hair.  People have asked me what I use on my skin and are surprised when I tell them just soap and water.  Not piling tons of products on my face has kept my skin in good condition, in my humble opinion.  Years ago, I was into lots of dramatic eye makeup, until I saw a photo of myself at a wedding and didn't recognize it was me!  I am very pinky-pale, so I always, always, always use #50 sunscreen.

Honored Contributor

I don't ever "look better". The best I got is "not frightening to dogs or small children".

I have grayish white, relatively (for my age) unlined skin, and huge eyes.

I presently wear a brown toned lipstick on eyes, cheeks, and lips for every day, and a BB or CC with the same lipstick for dress up.

I'd love to pass on makeup, but I definitely need SOMETHING, and my present combo is the most effective, and simplest I've come up with.

Valued Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Thought I would start a thread inviting anyone sharing experiences not wearing makeup. Here's mine. 58 in Sept found no matter the brand high end or drugstore look better without makeup. Never used a lot anyway. Understand there are many different opinions on this subject, Nor should anyone feel shame either way. Should also say, My hair is shoulder length natural grey. Freedom for me is life changing. Stopped coloring 4yrs ago cut my hair into pixie then decided wanted long hair. First time my hair is long since my 20's love it!! Cindy Joseph on YouTube my inspiration.
TIA🌷

I had never heard of Cindy Joseph until I read this post.  I found her website and find her very interesting.  I definitely recognize her face from many of my favorite catalogs.  I was wondering if you've ever tried any of her skincare/makeup products?  They look very interesting.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Thought I would start a thread inviting anyone sharing experiences not wearing makeup. Here's mine. 58 in Sept found no matter the brand high end or drugstore look better without makeup. Never used a lot anyway. Understand there are many different opinions on this subject, Nor should anyone feel shame either way. Should also say, My hair is shoulder length natural grey. Freedom for me is life changing. Stopped coloring 4yrs ago cut my hair into pixie then decided wanted long hair. First time my hair is long since my 20's love it!! Cindy Joseph on YouTube my inspiration.
TIA🌷

@Sweet_Serenity

Why would anyone feel "shame" ?

Honored Contributor

Re: Natual Sisterhood🙋

[ Edited ]

No never tried her products. Sharon Danley YT channel called- twominutetips. Sharon offers tips on many topics. Helped when I was transitioning to grey hair. Cindy Joseph's story wonderful. Started modeling at 59. Never gets old watching her interviewed.