Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mally mascara comes with cancer warning

I assume this warning has to go on everything (food, clothing, cleaners, make up, skin care items, fabrics, carpeting, paint etc., etc). Does anyone have knowledge of how many products total these warnings are on??.
Super Contributor

On 3/15/2014 RedRedHair said:

Here is the link to California's Prop. 65 list

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/files/P65single013114.pdf

I, too, am thankful that we are made aware of possibly harmful chemicals in our products. It's our choice whether to use them based on the information provided.

Thanks for the link to the list. It'll be something to refer back to from time to time.

I just did a quick skim of it and 5 of my prescription medications are on the list. 3 of them are on the list as a warning not to take during pregnancy, 2 for possible cancer. I read all of their information/disclosure pamphlets before taking a med, and I decided that FOR ME the infinitesimal risks are worth the benefits.

A prop 65 warning on a product does not in itself mean it's a huge risk--it's just a heads up to look into it and make your own decision.

Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2014 KathyPet said: I assume this warning has to go on everything (food, clothing, cleaners, make up, skin care items, fabrics, carpeting, paint etc., etc). Does anyone have knowledge of how many products total these warnings are on??.

for me, it is an "out of control" prop.

it is on everything and can be seen everywhere. you can find the signs posted in restaurants, grocery stores, laundromats, public and private pools, apartment complexes, gas stations, convenience stores.....you name it, it is there. it doesnt stop me from going into ANY of these places.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

So not being a CA resident and, if these warnings are are on lots and lots of product a and posted everywhere how does one make a decision about what to do when you see one of these warnings?? Certainly you can't spend hours each day calling all the companies who make whatever it is that you want to buy and finding out what chemical it is that caused the warning to need to be posted and then researching that chemical. Do people actually do that? how does anyone get anything done if you do that all,the time?
Respected Contributor

Unless you're eating your mascara, I'm not sure how this could even "potentially" cause cancer.

Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2014 KathyPet said: So not being a CA resident and, if these warnings are are on lots and lots of product a and posted everywhere how does one make a decision about what to do when you see one of these warnings?? Certainly you can't spend hours each day calling all the companies who make whatever it is that you want to buy and finding out what chemical it is that caused the warning to need to be posted and then researching that chemical. Do people actually do that? how does anyone get anything done if you do that all,the time?

This whole thing is getting very overstated. I live in California, have lived here all my life.

I do NOT see warnings everywhere I go. I don't know where other people in this state who do see these constantly; I live in SoCal.

It's not a big deal. As a poster stated earlier today, it is merely a warning. If any product contains a substance on the list (see my link to Prop 65 if you want to see how the list is compiled), regardless of whether it's, say, just on the packaging or somewhere else on the product, it has to have the sticker if it's shipped to or sold in California.

If you are truly worried about a particular product and want to know the details as to what substance triggered the warning, then call or e-mail the company.

That's how a poster here found out what was in the mascara that required the sticker. She e-mailed Mally Cosmetics, and they told her. So it's up to the consumer at that point. Once you know the substance, you can do further research if you choose. Or you ignore the whole thing. Your choice.

But I'm just amazed at how much criticism I see at the mere idea of a warning. It's such a strange juxtaposition with all the hype and sometimes hysteria I read in this forum daily about toxins in our lives.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I just received 2 of Mally's Volumizing Mascaras (green boxes) with no warning. I will continue with this product until it is no longer available.

Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2014 BaileyBop said:

I just received 2 of Mally's Volumizing Mascaras (green boxes) with no warning. I will continue with this product until it is no longer available.

I haven't used her products, but I'm guessing that if she makes different mascara formulas, yours then doesn't have the ingredient that triggered the warning. And even if it did, it would likely still be just fine to use.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland