Esteemed Contributor

Makeup Application Routine - some habits are hard to break

I've noticed that in my 50-some years of applying makeup, that I have a strict routine. And, if I try to break that routine.... well, I just can't.

For instance, I always put my eyeliner on my left eye first. I've tried to apply to my right eye first, and it feels weird and I can't get the line straight. If I apply left first and then the right, I get perfect lines every time.

However, I always put my mascara on my right eye first. Again, I've tried to change this and apply to my left eye first, and it feels like I'm driving on the wrong side of the road or something.

I have waay more odd routines when I apply makeup -- but I'm interested in yours. Do you have routines you can't break?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Application Routine - some habits are hard to break

if it works......why would you want to break it?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I don't want to break it, Desertdi -- I just find it funny. I've tried to change my habits for the fun of it, and I can't. I wondered if I am the only lady who has a set pattern to applying her makeup.

... and I must be.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

It's not just you, I always do my left brow first, and always do my right lashes first. Seems off to do them any other way. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I wonder if it has anything to do with being left-handed or right-handed? I'm a righty and I have a certain order of what goes on, but I always do the left side first whether it's cleansing with my Foreo Luna, applying treatment/skin care products, or applying makeup. When blowing my hair dry, I do the top first, but when I'm doing the sides, it's always left before right. I'm the same way when it comes to putting hot rollers in too.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I put the left leg in first and the left arm in first when I'm getting dressed. I never really thought about it until now, but it certain affirms that I am a creature of habit, doesn't it? LOL

Regular Contributor

Yep. Routines I can't/don't break. Right brow before left. Left eyeliner before right. Right mascara before left. Right blush before left. Right side of hair before left. Many more, too many to mention! Maybe we're afraid we will forget something if we break our habits?
Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
Super Contributor

What a great thread! I am left-handed and when I do my nails I always do my left hand first since my right hand is not that artistic! If I use my left first, it makes my right-handed attempts even more cumbersome. I know that I have many other routines that I will not change--they just seem to work the way they should!

Super Contributor

Very interesting take on habits, tototwo, and I couldn't help but laugh. I had never thought about my habits, but I do start on the right when applying makeup and body creams. Applying perfume, yeah, I start on my right side, behind my right ear.

I don't think it would be easy for me to switch and start with my left side.

You made me think and go hmm. LOL

Oh, I'm left-handed.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your responses. It's nifty that some of us are creatures of habit when applying our makeup (and that it's not just me!). I thought about it again this morning when I had to apply brow pencil to my right eye first.

- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I definitly have a routine and don't break it. IF something gets out of order it throws me and I tend to forget something. Funny how that works. I do my right eye then my left for liner and mascara.

I am right handed. I also paint my left hand first when doing my nails.