Honored Contributor

wow!

Super Contributor
On 9/10/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 9/10/2014 Zcat said:
On 9/10/2014 chrystaltree said:

Listerine is a brand name, there's no such thing as generic Listerine.

Then what about generic Tylenol? Tylenol is a brand name. Acetaminophen is the ingredient, but we don't call it generic acetaminophen, we call it generic Tylenol. Right? Am I missing something?

Wrong. I call it acetaminophen, not Tylenol, because if it's a generic, it's not Tylenol. The thing you're missing is the point of a generic. A generic is not a brand and a brand is not the product which bears its name. A tissue is not a Kleenex, it's a tissue that might be made by Kleenex, Puffs, or Scott.

I am totally guilty of asking for a "kleenex" when I mean tissue, "q-tips" when I mean cotton swab, "xerox machine" for any copier, "ziploc" for a plastic baggy, "band-aid" etc. I think this is totally normal.

I mean do you really ask someone for an "adhesive bandage" vs. "band-aid" when you need something for a wound?? You might find this amusing/interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

Super Contributor
On 9/10/2014 HappyDaze said:

wow!

I get tired of the smart alec replies.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/10/2014 MandySays said:
On 9/10/2014 Zcat said:

Then what about generic Tylenol? Tylenol is a brand name. Acetaminophen is the ingredient, but we don't call it generic acetaminophen, we call it generic Tylenol. Right? Am I missing something?

Wrong. I call it acetaminophen, not Tylenol, because if it's a generic, it's not Tylenol. The thing you're missing is the point of a generic. A generic is not a brand and a brand is not the product which bears its name. A tissue is not a Kleenex, it's a tissue that might be made by Kleenex, Puffs, or Scott.

I am totally guilty of asking for a "kleenex" when I mean tissue, "q-tips" when I mean cotton swab, "xerox machine" for any copier, "ziploc" for a plastic baggy, "band-aid" etc. I think this is totally normal.

I mean do you really ask someone for an "adhesive bandage" vs. "band-aid" when you need something for a wound?? You might find this amusing/interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

I do the same!

Honored Contributor

I use Neutragena Clarifying shampoo...followed by WEN as my conditioner.

It works great...no build up on my scalp!

Trusted Contributor

wow!

ditto!!

live....laugh....love
Respected Contributor

No offense to you OP and I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but are you sure it's safe to use Listerine on your scalp? Listerine is very strong.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Super Contributor

Listerine is a brand name, there's no such thing as generic Listerine. As for scabs on your scalp, scabs form over skin wounds. I don't use WEN but I'm pretty sure that WEN doesn't scrape or injure the scalp so severely that a scab develops. That build up isn't a scab, it's a dirty scalp. It's gunk adhering to the scap because you aren't cleansing your scalp. The dead skin cells and the oil builds and builds. The "Listerine" and the baking soda are just cleansing your scalp. Why don't you just wash your hair with baby shampoo once a week, making sure that you massage your scalp with your finger tips to remove the gunk?

I believe the original poster meant, store brand version.

I personally, started using Listerine gold on my scalp, because my scalp started breaking out, with tiny little pimple type things. Also was getting them in my ears. Listerine was created in 1879 as a surgical antiseptic. I started researching my symptoms, dry scalp and breaking out. It seemed odd to me that my scape was dry, but I was breaking out. I always associated oil with breaking out. I stopped using shampoo with sulfates and used the listerine to clear the blemishes. I have read where Drs. had people with dandruff use gold listerine to rinse their hair if they had dandruff. I didn't have dandruff, but it did heal the spots. Also, since using the sulfate free shampoo, I haven't had any breakouts in my ears. I also stopped using conditioner, I was worried about my pores getting clogged. My hair is thinning, so I don't want to do anything that would encourage further thinning. I know this is crazy, but when I was using Listerine, I though I saw new hair growth.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/10/2014 Zcat said:
On 9/10/2014 bruingirl said:
On 9/10/2014 Zcat said:
On 9/10/2014 Zcat said:

I don't think I am wrong. And you can take that attitude and shove it up your A $$.

I get the point of generic. It allows you refer to a product like Tylenol by calling it generic Tylenol, so people know they are comparable.

whoa! that was so rude....

Really? I thought Chyna was rude. Why jump on me and call me wrong when I'm not. Why all the attitude? I offered my opinion, and I got attitude from her.

I'm tired of the rude bullies on this forum.

I bolded the part that I think is rude. You could have posted your opinion without the bolded line. If you think ChynnaBlue was rude or had an attitude, you could have just stated so but instead you responded with a crass comment.

live....laugh....love
Regular Contributor
On 9/10/2014 Zcat said:

wow! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

I get tired of the smart alec replies.

Unfortunately, Zcat, YOU are the smart alec/rude one!