Esteemed Contributor

Supposedly, the price is in the fermentation process of the raw kelp, which is harvested only 2x a year...supposedly, because it is higher in nutrients at harvest.

But I agree about mineral oils...I was learning exactly where they come from, and you'd be surprised, as I was! I no longer have any aversion to using them, although I use other effective things.

In any event, I tried La Mer a while back, and I did like it, however, I never felt I needed that emolliency.

The only thing Algenist and La Mer shares in common (well, 2 things, I guess) is the algae (different strains as I understand) and marketing.

I'll say again that algae has a temporary tightening/firming effect on skin. A few other things seem to share those same properties. (Supposedly, it is useful for cell renewal, too.) I'll pass on looking up every ingredient in La Mer, but Algenist also incorporates fruit acids, and those help to turn over surface skin, which in turn (in theory) will decrease the depth of lines.

One can reason that if your skin is benefiting from any tightening that algae can provide and the mineral oils (in La Mer) are protecting you from the elements, keeping your skin moist & supple, that may also preserve facial skin, preventing line formation.

Valued Contributor

If I could afford La Mer, that is what I would purchase. I use the Algenist eye balm and firming eye creams for now. I also use the extra eye moisterizer from Bobbi Brown. I still have the wrinkles, but I guess that they would be worse without the products.