Honored Contributor

Re: Is eau de parfum too strong for everyday use?

@ID2 wrote:

Wow I haven't heard the name Shalimar since the 70's! I didn't know it still was out there. 

IIt's still out there, but either it's changed like they all have, or my system is changed-doesn't smell right to me. But in its day, wow!

I only wear parfum and I wear it every day. Now something like Youth Dew? I don't think so. But anything else.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Wow I haven't heard the name Shalimar since the 70's! I didn't know it still was out there. 

IIt's still out there, but either it's changed like they all have, or my system is changed-doesn't smell right to me. But in its day, wow!

I only wear parfum and I wear it every day. Now something like Youth Dew? I don't think so. But anything else.

@Judaline,

That Youth Dew was the most potent stuff! The smell of a single dab lasted like forever. You could smell it for weeks on end on anything it came in contact with. When my mom passed away some her things still smelled of it....months later!  

Honored Contributor

When I was in nursing school there was a girl in the dorm who would spray Youth Dew in the bathroom - it lingered there forever! That scent will take me back to then in a nanosecond, the instant I smell it , I'm back in that bathroom.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

I just received my order of Shalimar's body lotion and eau de parfum. I haven't had Shalimar in years and was looking forward to having it again. The only problem is that I'm not sure if the eau de parfum (EDP) is suitable for everyday use. It's been a while since I had it, but when I did, it was the eau de toilette version. Can't help but wonder if I should have stuck with that since it's a little lighter. Just curious what everyone else thinks--is eau de parfum just too much for everyday, casual use? Thanks.

I always buy EdP, 

toilette is not worth the money,  my view

Respected Contributor

I don't wear parfum out in public anymore because so many people have allergic reactions.  Many children have asthma attacks due to overuse of scent.  I don't want to be that person.  I think many people have used the same scent for so long, they no longer realize how much they use or can't really smell it until it's out of control.  They don't mean to, but wow, it's super strong.  I love it when I get on an empty elevator and am overpowered  by someone's scent. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When I was in nursing school there was a girl in the dorm who would spray Youth Dew in the bathroom - it lingered there forever! That scent will take me back to then in a nanosecond, the instant I smell it , I'm back in that bathroom.

@151949     My ma, too!    If the windows were open, you could smell it down to the end of the block.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

People think they should keep spraying until they themself can smell it - by then it is too late - they reek. There is a reason the manufacterers bottle scents as they do - that spray is a measured amount - exactly the amount that should be used - one spritz. If there is no sprayer - one dab only.

Respected Contributor

I wear EDP every day, either DKNY Delicious Night or Bulgari Jasmine Noir. I usually do one spritz at the base of my throat, then one spritz on my wrist, then bump my wrists together. I put just enough pressue on the sprayer to get some out, so it's the smallest amount possible.

Used to work with a woman years ago who wore Germaine Montiel (sp?) fragrance. She sprayed it VERY liberally before coming to work, then went home at lunch and sprayed again...whew! That stuff was strong! It actually smelled really good, but was just overpowering. We had a large, open office surrounded by corridors and you could smell it everywhere!

Trusted Contributor

My office observes a "scent free" rule.

Honored Contributor

I can see the direction this thread is taking.

No, EDP in general is not  too strong for everyday use. It all depends upon the particular fume. Personally, I don't like very strong scents, especially heavy, spicy Orientals.

I don't think you need to use just one spritz with a perfume that is not overwhelming. But the best test is to ask someone else whether they think you have overdone it.

BTW, I have a couple EDTs that have very nice longevity. It just depends. But mostly I stick with EDPs.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland