Respected Contributor

Re: I Am Trying WEN for the 3rd Time ""hope it's a charm""

One thing for sure, you have to rinse like mad, and use cool water. Otherwise, it stays greasy.

Respected Contributor

I'm on my third time using WEN also. The difference this time is the rinse and repeat - big difference. And it doesn't take as long. I started this time using the 613 exclusively for a month - it really made a big difference in my hair. Then I started using different CCs and combining them. Also I'm not cleansing my hair every day this time around - more like every 2 days and sometimes 3. It's takes me a little longer in the shower - maybe 5 minutes or so due to the rinsing. It's worth it. My hair is in great condition - very soft, shinier, moisturized and thicker than 6 months ago and no frizz whatsoever. My hair was very dry and porous - frizzy all the time. My first time trying it I had too many bad hair days - greasy and flat. Second time I tried the lavender and hated it - found it drying and hated the smell. My hair is a long bob - collarbone length. I use 10 pumps for the first cleanse. Same for the second but 8 of whatever CC I'm using + 1 or 2 pumps of 613. This time too there's more in the way of styling products which I like. I can't wait to see what my hair looks like in another 6 months and into the future. So glad I gave it a third try. And by the way - I tried it a third time because I was desperate. My hair is fine and has been thinning for a few years. I've tried everything else so thought I'd try WEN again. My hair is definitely fuller.

Regular Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Lotus~ said:

Thanks for responding Susan. I know I didn't give it a chance the first 2 times....I am determined to make this work!

And yes, the value is great!

I got the classic scents can you switch to the seasonal during the course of the A-D?

Hello and welcome to the Wen forum! I truly hope you get what you want out of Wen this time. As others have said, follow the directions. But there are enough lovely people here that have already given you great advice so I won't repeat. I just wanted to answer your question. Chaz said on the show for the TSV that unfortunately you will not be able to switch from one set to another, because they made exactly how much they need for the next shipment. Also the next shipment won't include the gift boxes if that makes a difference. But the core set includes the best cores there are and I think you'll enjoy them! If you find you don't enjoy a certain core you can always gift the next one, use it as body wash/shaving cream/etc, or sell it on eBay. I hope 3rd times a charm for you! Can I ask why the first two times you weren't happy with Wen?
Respected Contributor

On 12/9/2014 aprimo said:

I have been using WEN for a few years now, but still don't think I've gotten my best possible results. One thing I recall clearly from when I first started using WEN is that I didn't use enough and would sometimes miss spots and they would still be greasy when I finished. Even after figuring that out, I still wasn't using enough. I feel like I'm just now starting to figure out how to use WEN to best advantage. I'm now convinced that a second cleanse is important (which I usually didn't do). Adding the water and massaging it in until you achieve a sort of frothiness seems to be important too. As is rinsing well. And I think using cooler water helps too.

The biggest reason that I wasn't using enough of the product in the past is because I was worried about the cost and how fast I would use it up. I hate to say it, but I feel like if you are worried about the cost of the product to the extent that you don't use as much as the directions say, then you probably are just wasting your money. I'm not going to say that you have to commit to buying ALL the styling and treatment products. But I think to get significant results, you have to be willing and able to commit to using the cleansing conditioner the way the directions say.

Just my two cents, speaking as a person who has done it the wrong way many times.

Very good advice!

Respected Contributor

On 12/10/2014 suebdoo said: I agree about making sure you use enough and split the recommended pumps in 2. It really doesn't take much longer...just remember it is like using a shampoo and conditioner, but only needing 1 product . I didn't use enough in the beginning and it wasn't good. Once I got my pumps right And using that splash to bloom it I had great results. After about 6 months it just wasn't right again. Finally figured out after reading on here.....it was because my hair was much thicker and longer so I needed more!! Now I have a good stash from TSV and OTO and I use more than I probably need.....Just in case! LOL. If you have a chance, do the recommender on chazdean dot com and start with that CC and try to use it exclusively for a few weeks. Also Chaz says to use it everyday or every other day in the beginning so your scalp neutralizes if I remember right. And there are videos and his salon # on the bottles. I called them and they are really nice and helpful. Good luck and ask questions here. You have till the end of January and more than enough CC now to really experiment!

Eeeexcellent post, in my opinion.

Respected Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Lotus~ said:

I have short hair....similar to Jane Traecy. How many pumps of this side bottle should I use for my first wash and then my second?

In the video he says to split up the total pumps.

The 16 oz. bottle says 10-16 pumps for short hair. Start out using 8 pumps for your 1st cleanse & 8 pumps for your 2nd cleanse. Since your hair is short, you don't need to apply it in sections, just pump, rub your hands together and apply. Once you get the hang of WEN, you may be able to reduce the number of pumps by one or two, since it seems your hair is pretty short. I have thick, chin-length hair (still considered short by Chaz), and I use 8 pumps per cleanse.

Add that splash of water! More than one if you need to--it's what helps you distribute the product evenly through your hair. I actually stick my head under the shower for a count of "one-one thousand", sometimes twice. You will get some froth and it will feel creamy and light when it's right. Massage well, really work it into your scalp with the tips of your fingers, especially for the 1st cleanse. Rinse til you get a little "squeak". Do your 2nd cleanse the same way, but leave it in while you finish your shower. I don't "froth" my 2nd cleanse til after I've bathed/shaved...just work 8 pumps into your wet hair. Rinse til your hair squeaks. You can use the comb to help rinse or not. I don't--just keep running my fingers thru my hair.

This is important---don't "quick pump"! Push the pump down, then let it come all the way back up before pumping again. This way, you get enough product. I've heard Chaz say this, but I think he shoud emphasize it more. You can follow directions to the letter, but if you don't use enough product, enough water to distribute, and rinse well, it's just not going to work.

If you can afford it, and it works for you, yes, it's worth the cost.

Respected Contributor

I have never sectioned my hair with wen. I just use the number of pumps, massage through (I concentrate on my scalp), add a handful of water to froth it up and run a wide toothed comb through on the second cleanse. I rinse with hot water and use the comb when rinsing. That really helps rinse out the product. I may finish with cooler water, but I have ways used hot to get the wen rinsed out.
Respected Contributor

I am still experimenting also...I have used it for several months now, mostly the seasonals...I am just now trying the core's..I get such helpful tips from reading what other people do, that has helped a lot...my hair is so much better than before. I cleanse everyday due to how I like to style my hair, and I love mixing a new "batch" each time...adding the water to make it frothy is a huge tip, and I use a lot of CC leave in for my hair length, (just below my ears) I use a whole pump of leave in and mix the 613 styling cream in it...just enjoy your WEN..Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Speaking just for me, I DO NOT NEED TO USE A LOT OF WEN! I have softened water, fine naturally straight hair but a lot of it, I use the same temp water as I use to shower (but not hot.) My suggestions:

Start with a soaking wet hair and add a little Wen (3 pumps from a 16oz if you have short hair.) As you massage it in you should be able to spread it all over. If it doesn't "reach" all over add another pump. Keep doing that until you feel like you spread it all around. Then do the "duck your head under the faucet/shower routine" so you can get it to froth up. Add more water if you don't feel the froth. Or add another pump of Wen. You will know it when you get it to froth up Smiley Wink

Rinse by adding even more water, scrubbing, and then rinsing. Mine always comes out easily. Now repeat the process if you need a second cleanse.

Leave the last cleanse in while you finish your shower. The first may be the last for you that day.

I think all newbies should use the 2 cleanse method until they get a good feel for how clean their hair really gets with Wen. I think some people don't get the full effect because they are afraid of the cost, etc. Just use it and see how it goes before you start trying to go days before cleanses or try to not cleanse twice, etc. Once you get a feel for it you will know if you are waiting too long to cleanse or not using enough.

My hair is now 9 inches long and I use about 5 pumps per cleanse. I usually cleanse twice about every 4 days. My mom's hair is about 2 inches long and she uses 3 pumps and only one cleanse. She cleanses about every 3 days and has oily hair.

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

Some tips if you are concerned about water usage - I was taught to turn off the shower while I shave. You can do the same while you work the Wen in if you are worried about the water. Or I sometimes start my hair in the sink, work the Wen and water into it until I reach the frothing point, then put a cap on and find something else to do for awhile. Just leave it on and it will do wonders Smiley Wink

Then get in the shower, add more water and scrub, finish your shower and then rinse it out. You get a super treatment and use less water because the shower isn't running while you stand there working it in!

Just keep in mind that things might getting a little messy if you do it outside of the shower. Don't wear your good clothes! JK haha

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

KJPA