Valued Contributor

Re: How to Break Up with your Hair Stylist

My hairstylist of 20 years butchered my hair the last few times I went to her. I just moved on and didn't call her again. My mom and sister still go to her, but my hair was so bad that even my husband said "she really messed up that cut".

Honored Contributor

I've never had a moment's angst doing this. Keep me waiting *every* time because they wanted to fit a client in who spends big $$ while I wait 30+ minutes? Repeatedly give me a haircut that makes me unhappy even though I've told them in detail what I didn't like the last time (and the time before that)? Give me a totally bizarre cut because they're too preoccupied or high to care? I just walk away. If they don't value *your* time, disregard *your* input and generally treat you as a disposable customer, you owe them nothing.

Over the years I've come to realize, through my own experiences in salons of all price ranges, as well as the experiences of friends and family of different generations, that hair people consistently behave this way - making people wait, not paying attention, etc. It's like they get bored with their customers. I'm not complicated or demanding, and I tip well. But there are lots of stylists in my area, in all price ranges.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

On 4/4/2015 Plaid Pants said:

What women need to realize is that to a stylist, you are nothing more than just a client.

That's it.

Nothing more.

So all this angst and hang wringing, is all on you (general use of the word), not on them.

Do you really think that they sit there, and wring their hands and say, "Oh, gee, why did Betty stop coming to me?!"

No, they don't.

They don't fret over it, so why should you? (again, general use of the word).

After all, it's not like you and your stylists are BFF's, and hang out together outside of the shop, right?

So, why get all anxious over something that is nothing more than a simple business transaction?

Yes that might be true in some situations..But I have been going to my stylist for over 20yrs...It would be very hard to change stylists if I wanted to..Fortunately I don't..but I do think that if I just stopped going..she would call me..she would think something happened to me..I broke my ankle a few years ago and I couldn't go to get my hair done for over 2 months..She came to my house and colored my hair....2 times....so, yes she would be thinking about me and wondering why I suddenly decided to not go to her anymore

Occasional Contributor

You are not obligated to explain your decision to change stylists to anyone at all. I think you have already done a good job of breaking up with your former stylist and moving on to a great new one. Now be happy and proud of yourself - no need to look back!

I had to change stylists within the same salon and that for me was awkward. I had been with my former stylist for 12+ years but she began to get careless and did not seem to listen to me anymore. Although we were good friends, I never felt the need to explain my decision to make a change. In the end, it was honestly just a matter of good business and I was the one paying good money for a service.

It worked out to be good timing because just after I switched, old stylist went out on extended sick leave. I would have needed someone new anyway!

Honored Contributor

Yes, unless you are friends with her I don't think you owe her an explanation, she was just providing a service. I had been going to the same stylist for 15 years and if I had to cancel my standing appointment I would have to wait 3 weeks for another appointment. I finally tried some one else and realized my guy wasn't the only person who could cut my hair. I never looked back and never called him to explain.

Respected Contributor

Simple. Just stop going. You owe them nothing. Its a service not a best friend or relationship

Honored Contributor

I just stop going. It is a business after all. I don't notify other businesses when I choose to stop giving them my business. Now if she calls and asks you why you haven't been in, I'd tell her the truth but I've only had one stylist go out of their way to ask me why I haven't been back in. I really don't think the majority even give it more than second thought (if that), even if you've been going to them for many years.