Trusted Contributor

How do you get the "scum" off the top of a powder blush?

I have a fairly new IT Cosmetics blush that has a darker sheen on it like a"shell."  How do you scrape this off without ruining the blush? Why does this happen to pressed powder face products?

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you get the "scum" off the top of a powder blush?

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover

I use the light side of a cheap emory board to 'scrape' off the powder/blush.

Usually that is caused by re-using your application brush/sponge without cleaning it often enough.

The applicator gets oil from your skin/moisturiser, etc. and the oils 'coat' the powder, causing a 'shell' on the powder.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

paring knife

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Thanks I will try that. It only happens with oily products like IT Cosmetics CC and Bye Bye foundations. They are like glue.

Honored Contributor

I have some "net like" ribbon.  I use that to rub over the top to get that "scum" off.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover, it’s called “glazing”. The most efficient way to remove it is with scotch tape. Rub a piece of scotch tape ove the glazed section then rip it off like you’re ripping off a band-aid. Keep doing that with fresh pieces of scotch-tape until all the glazing is removed.  You don’t lose the good product that way. Another way is to use the brush end an eyebrow brush and gently scrape it off until all the glazing it gone. Either method works well & this is how I keep my Celebration Foundation fresh without wasting product.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

If you are crafty you might have some fine grit sandpaper or emery paper around. 

Honored Contributor

I use a piece of clear packing tape. Press it on, remove and  it takes the sheen right off.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Squirrel Lover

I use the light side of a cheap emory board to 'scrape' off the powder/blush.

Usually that is caused by re-using your application brush/sponge without cleaning it often enough.

The applicator gets oil from your skin/moisturiser, etc. and the oils 'coat' the powder, causing a 'shell' on the powder.

@KingstonsMom  If you wait until the next time you apply makeup, the portion you scrape off can be used as a loose powder/blush. Be sure not to store puffs inside compacts, too.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  In one word "cheap product."   That use to happen to me with Clinique and I stopped buying it years ago.  I have Tarte and Laura Mercier and it never happens.  

kindness is strength