Respected Contributor

Re: How do you combat dryness during the winter?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Suebdoo wrote:

@HappyDaze ok here goes my attempt  LOL  it's a light / but dense consistency ( yeah I know makes no sense)  I just swipe a small amount out of the jar and kind of warm it up between two fingers.  Then I dab it on a few places on my face then just lightly press all over.  To me the balm gets thin w/ body heat and easily sinks in with the tapping.  There is usually enough still on my fingertips so I can work that into my cuticles.  

I'm just thrilled with the results and my winter so far is bad.  No irritation no breakouts!  I put it on after moisturizer .  Have been putting it on am/ pm.  Not sure yet if I should be doing it after sunscreen like I have been. 

@Suebdoo, just a sllightly different take on it: When I use the balm, it replaces my moisturizer. I maybe use a bit more than you for that purpose. And I even add a bit more around my eyes.

I think the texture might scare people at first if they use the amount I use, but I don't mind it all. I have had zero irritation and no breakouts that I would pin on this product. I do think I'm seeing an improvement in texture and hydration. I'm also using BHA and OTC retinol at a fairly decent strength, so this balm is definitely helping me with any little dryness that may occur as a result.

I use quite a bit, too @suzyQ3. But I'm also that person that uses half a dropper of oil. I don't just use 2-3 drops. I like to slather it on! I apply my facial mist, then either do oil then MM balm, or mix the two together. I just rub my fingers together and apply to my whole face, including orbital area. Like @Suebdoo, I apply extra to hands and cuticles. I REALLY like this stuff. I still have a tube of my Honest balm to use, but will likely return to the MM when I get done with that. Thanks again for the rec!! Robot Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Does anyone use any facial mists?...If so, what kind?...I'm trying the L'Occitane Precious Mist and spritz it on whenever I feel I need extra hydration for my face during these Winter days...I'm liking it so far!

I've used several. Rose Water mist (can get at Whole Foods) & Mario Badescu (both nice & cost-effective), Colleen Rothschild (nice, but more expensive), Evian mist (basic, but works), Timeless HA Spray (smells good and has skincare benefits). I've honestly never tried a spray I didn't like or that caused any reaction. But my main purpose is simply to hydrate the skin, so when I apply oil/balm/moisturizer at night, it glides on and locks in an extra boost of moisture. I don't like applying oil to dry skin. At all. I can feel a difference, personally. HTH, @MyShadowLove!

Valued Contributor

OP, the first thing you need ro do is buy yourself a centralized humidifier for your furance.  Then buy a room humidifier to target your bedroom.  Use facial oil daily, then use a creamy moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The best hydrating mist in the world to me is by Sisley.  But it is so expensive for something that is really infused water.  Keeping hydrated, drinking plenty of water helps.  I know I have trouble drinking as much water in the dead of Winter.  The hot baths, going out in the cold,then  into the heat plays havoc with my skin.  And I am no pup.

I have made my own hydrating spray.  I even made the orange flower  water.  Rose flower water is not cheap if you get the good stuff.  It matter how the rose flower water is pressed.  It should have a good infusion of rose hips.  Look or reuse an old spray bottle (steralize it first)  Make sure the spray nozzle dispurses a VERY fine spray!  Fine spray is important as it delivers the mist properly and finely over the skin.  A coarser spray will just run down the face.

You can buy a glass bottle with a fine spray on Amazon for a few bucks.  I like the cobalt ones.  You need the bottle to hold at leas t10 to 12 ounces.

•  
    ½ cup distilled water
  •  
    4 tbsp. orange flower water
  •  
    4 tbsp. rose flower water
  •  
    4 tbsp. aloe vera gel (I buy high grade organic aloe at whole foods)

Place the distilled water, rose and orange water in a stainless clean pan on stove.  Heat for 3 mins or so until real warm. Remove from heat.... Then add Aloe, and stir with wooden spoon or disposable stick. ..then remove from pan cool in pan a bit, then place in bottle ( in dishwasher first or boil)  Store in fridge for at least 24 hours before using.  Shake well before each use.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Product Detailsorange flower water

Rose Flower Water 4 oz. Malandel

also gycerine, whether added to mist (not more than 2 teas) or used alone is cheap and effective for dry, acne prone skin

NOW Solutions Glycerine Vegetable, 16-Fluid Ounces

Respected Contributor

I'm heading to bed bath and beyond today to scope out humidifiers.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

@Drythe -- YES!!! To the humidifier!!!

@suzyQ3 & @Suebdoo -- YES! To the Medicine Mama's balm!!

@HappyDaze -- YES!! To the PC oil!!

The above mentioned things have dramatically reduced my dry skin and risk of flakiness this year and last. I also recommend the Honest a Company Extreme Healing Balm, if you don't get the Medicine Mama's. Both are awesome (I now prefer the medicine mama's - thanks @suzyQ3!!!). Also, I always make it a point to spritz my face with a mist prior to applying nightly oils and balms. They glide over your face and absorb better, and don't drag. HTH, @Rachb!!

@FUTURE@suzyQ3  @Suebdoo

Can you ladies describe the texture/consistency of the Mama balm you all love? Is it thick, thin, waxy or more of a thinner cream? Do you apply it over your moisturizer like you would with an oil? Can you use it on your lips and cuticles? TIA!

@HappyDaze, I think I answered your question in my last reply, which was to Suebdoo.

@suzyQ3 thanks! I am still trying to figure out one of the ingredients and how it is obtained but if it is okay, I will give this a try after my PC is done because this is a better price even though the pc one lasts me a long time. Always looking for ways to save more money!  You mentioned on another post that you stocked up when they had it for half price? Was this on their website? Do they do sales like that very often? TIA!

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

@Drythe -- YES!!! To the humidifier!!!

@suzyQ3 & @Suebdoo -- YES! To the Medicine Mama's balm!!

@HappyDaze -- YES!! To the PC oil!!

The above mentioned things have dramatically reduced my dry skin and risk of flakiness this year and last. I also recommend the Honest a Company Extreme Healing Balm, if you don't get the Medicine Mama's. Both are awesome (I now prefer the medicine mama's - thanks @suzyQ3!!!). Also, I always make it a point to spritz my face with a mist prior to applying nightly oils and balms. They glide over your face and absorb better, and don't drag. HTH, @Rachb!!

@FUTURE@suzyQ3  @Suebdoo

Can you ladies describe the texture/consistency of the Mama balm you all love? Is it thick, thin, waxy or more of a thinner cream? Do you apply it over your moisturizer like you would with an oil? Can you use it on your lips and cuticles? TIA!

@HappyDaze, I think I answered your question in my last reply, which was to Suebdoo.

@suzyQ3 thanks! I am still trying to figure out one of the ingredients and how it is obtained but if it is okay, I will give this a try after my PC is done because this is a better price even though the pc one lasts me a long time. Always looking for ways to save more money!  You mentioned on another post that you stocked up when they had it for half price? Was this on their website? Do they do sales like that very often? TIA!

@HappyDaze, just out of curiosity, which PC product are you referring to?

If it turns out that you are interested in this balm, you can sign up on their site for deals. I honestly don't know how often they put the balm on sale because I haven't been with them that long.

I also liked the One Love Organics version called Skin Savior. It was close, but I liked MM's just a bit better. And it was nice, of course, that it considerably less expensive. But if MM doesn't fit your criteria or you don't like it, you might try the OLO.

HTH.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 @HappyDaze @FUTURE

Seems like I have been a little stingy or else I underestimated how much I use LOL. I use about a small pea size.  Maybe more if I think I might be outside .  I kind of feel like a greaseball with more....but no wind burn!

I'm going to get a Retin A RX soon and will use more I bet.

I have 3 jars now and got them during sales.  Seems like there have a few sales in the few months since enabler @suzyQ3 recommended it, but the holidays may have been the reason.  There's also a coupon code for 1st time purchase too I think.

Trusted Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
I'm heading to bed bath and beyond today to scope out humidifiers.

@Rachb  I have bought 3 humidifiers from QVC.  2 were TSV over a year ago and running strong. I use them in the summer too because we have 5% humidity.....well maybe 20%.  LOL.  I just bought another on as is and I don't think it's even been unpacked before me.  Best deal I saw for anything comparable locally.