Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone tried Go Gray products?

[ Edited ]

I just saw these hair products and curious if anyone transitioning to gray hair has tried them.

There are three:  Remove, Fade and Maintain.  Obviously, you are not going from dark brunette to gray in one or two treatments, but it might be something I would consider once my gray comes in a bit.

On the remove it says:

"A pro-grade unisex hair color remover formula that helps gradually and gently remove hair dye.* Formulated for semi-permanent and permanent hair color to diminish the unsightly “re-growth” line and instantly lighten your overall shade, for a seamless look during your initial go-gray phase.

*If the hair has been lightened, bleached, or colored to a lighter shade, Go Grey Unisex Revitalizing Kit will not return hair to its natural color. Revitalizing Treatment only removes the artificial pigment you deposited onto hair. It will NOT replace the natural pigment you removed when going lighter. Formulated to remove regular oxidative hair color from Halloween or other occasions, not formulated for bleached, pre-lightened hair or direct color dyes such as pinks, blues, green purples, etc. metallic dyes or henna."

Reviews are not great...My main concern is turning orange.  That alone would stop me.

Thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Go Gray products?

heed the reviews! There is no easy method for going grey- unless, like me, you had a super short pixie style that you got cut every four weeks. That allowed my grey to take over painlessly. It only took five months from full color to full grey. Longer hair will obviously show grey roots for a much longer time. That's a bad look- half grey half color. My best advice in that case is regular cuts. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother  I had colored my hair dark brown (my natural color) for years before deciding to go gray. When I started thinking about it, I knew I didn't want a pixie cut--they're very cute on some ladies, but I'm not one of them! I talked to my stylist, and she suggested "heavy" highlights. Best decision ever, for me. She used a cool, ashy blonde color every 3-4  months for a year. I got my chin-length bob cut every six weeks.

That, for me, was the easiest, most painless way possible to go gray. I highly recommend it for those who don't want to go the really short hair route.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I just saw these hair products and curious if anyone transitioning to gray hair has tried them.

There are three:  Remove, Fade and Maintain.  Obviously, you are not going from dark brunette to gray in one or two treatments, but it might be something I would consider once my gray comes in a bit.

On the remove it says:

"A pro-grade unisex hair color remover formula that helps gradually and gently remove hair dye.* Formulated for semi-permanent and permanent hair color to diminish the unsightly “re-growth” line and instantly lighten your overall shade, for a seamless look during your initial go-gray phase.

*If the hair has been lightened, bleached, or colored to a lighter shade, Go Grey Unisex Revitalizing Kit will not return hair to its natural color. Revitalizing Treatment only removes the artificial pigment you deposited onto hair. It will NOT replace the natural pigment you removed when going lighter. Formulated to remove regular oxidative hair color from Halloween or other occasions, not formulated for bleached, pre-lightened hair or direct color dyes such as pinks, blues, green purples, etc. metallic dyes or henna."

Reviews are not great...My main concern is turning orange.  That alone would stop me.

Thoughts?

Distinct possibility.  When you color your hair, even color it darker, if you're using permanent color and a developer, you are removing some of your natural hair color and the depositing the pigment.  So, when you remove the pigment, you'll end up with whatever your natural color is minus what was removed.  Depending on what your underlying color is, you could end up with some shade of orange.  The orange shades are what people trying to blonde have the most difficulty getting past.  

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint 

I've thought about this and may consider it.  

I just have to be sure I want to take the journey, first!

Like you, I don't want to cut my hair.  I keep it at my shoulders and would look wretched in shorter hair.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@vermint 

I've thought about this and may consider it.  

I just have to be sure I want to take the journey, first!

Like you, I don't want to cut my hair.  I keep it at my shoulders and would look wretched in shorter hair.

@Witchy Woman I understand thinking about it first...I didn't jump right in, either. It was several weeks before I decided to go for it. Finally, I thought...well, if I don't like it, I can always color it brown again! I was honestly surprised at how much I liked the highlights, and now my silver/gray/brown hair. I get soooo many compliments!