Honored Contributor

Re: Finally found those spatulas to apply creams!

The ones from Sally Beauty online shows a clearance price of $1.29/dozen. Wonder since it's on clearance if that means they are no longer going to sell them once they are gone. You can buy a stainless steel one with palette for mixing for $5.80 for the small one with free shipping at Amazon.

Respected Contributor

The airlines germs also reminds me of a story... a flight to Phoenix. The lady seated next to me had an oxygen tank which kind of surprised me, but I guess they must allow that as many people depend on oxygen to breathe. As we talked I learned she had pneumonia and was coughing and spewing all over me.

I couldn't eat lunch because she was spewing on my sandwich...NO big deal. I felt sorry for her but thought "just my seating luck" on a completely full flight.

Respected Contributor

Back to topic now..

Sorry for the digression.

Super Contributor

On 5/26/2014 momcat said:

I always use a spatula. I can't stand the feel of those creams under my fingernails. Thanks for the info.

Scoop away from you, so that the cream is on top of your fingernail instead of underneath it.

Respected Contributor

I do both, spatula and fingers. No worry about finger nails. I keep mine trimmed where it's a non-issue. I do apply with clean hands and wash my hands between application of products. I wash my hands A LOT throughout the day.

I also have hand disinfectant in my handbag, in almost every room of the house. An old habit when I had no immune system while on chemo.

Respected Contributor

On 5/26/2014 Nightowlz said:

The ones from Sally Beauty online shows a clearance price of $1.29/dozen. Wonder since it's on clearance if that means they are no longer going to sell them once they are gone. You can buy a stainless steel one with palette for mixing for $5.80 for the small one with free shipping at Amazon.

View Full Size Image

Wow! That's neat. Since I'm a chemist with my makeup, I need one!

Occasional Contributor

How about using a clean Q-Tip and throwing it away when done?
Respected Contributor

Amazon.com has several types available in various quanities at pretty good prices. I just found them by doing a search of "cosmetic spatulas." The previously-mentioned ideas of using iced-pop sticks from the dollar store sounded pretty good, too, if you have a dollar store nearby.

Respected Contributor

I usually don't buy anything in a jar because of contamination reasons. However, I do have a jar or two and lose my little spatulas.

I have used a Q-tip as a spatula instead of my fingers, but like the spatula better. They are hard to find and good to know where to buy them.

Thanks for the post!

Super Contributor

On 5/26/2014 paShar said:

I like the idea one poster had about baby spoons. And also someone mentioned about dipping your knuckle in rather than your fingers. Another good idea!

What about cheap plastic spoons such as you would use for a picnic? You can get them pretty cheaply at the dollar store. Or, popsicle sticks? You can get those at craft stores fairly cheaply.

I think the spatulas are better because of the size. These spatulas are slightly domed and flat. Great for scraping small jars and removing only the smallest amount of product. I have about 35 of the spatulas. One use only before it is sanitized. The disposable mascara brushes, disposable lip brushes and lip wands, and the spatulas are useful to me because on occasion someone will want to try the product. I spray the make up before and after someone else uses it. I'm sure this is not for everyone, it just works for me. That's it, nothing more.