Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite ""Go To"" Eyeshadow for Over 50s

Most days, for shadow, I like something soft and natural, and have the definition at my lash line.

It Matte Bronzer for eye contour (no unusual ingredients in that) and for lids, the muted pink from Dior's Incognito.

Victoria Principal's highlighter pen at brow bone.

Honored Contributor

I am 64 & I prefer colors that are light that open the eye. Here are my 3 favorites:

Bobbi Brown long lasting crème in Sandy Gold (slight shimmer but I apply it lightly & it looks great)

Laura Mercier --

Sheer crème eye colour in Grey Pastel

Powder shadow in Vanilla Nuts

I am currently on the outlook for a pretty, light lavender (light but not shimmery) for the spring/summer months.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I only use powdered/cake eye shadows, but I first apply NYX Eye Shadow Base. I have enough eyeshadow to last me a very long time. If I could only choose one palette though, my favorite is IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Luxe Eyeshadow Pallet. The entire palette is useable and you can leave them matte or apply a light shimmer over the top. Great set!

Frequent Contributor

B.B. vanila cream stick. Love it! Makes my eyelids look smoth and as I wear glasses brings my eyes out. I also have a blue cream stick that I line my eyes with.

Esteemed Contributor

Bobbi Brown's Camel and Banana. Both are matte powder shadows. On me the Camel looks like an effort to wear a nude that doesn't look washed out. Banana works well as a highlighter because my undertone is quite yellow.

I wear these colors day and night. For evening I do punch them up with an top layer brushed on of a golden shimmer shadow, one of Bobbi's Bricks, or Smashbox Soft Lights Intermix.

Super Contributor

I have a bunch of light to medium pinks from Bare Minerals that are my go to's. My skin tone is very light with pink undertones, and my eyes are green, so when applied with a light hand, you can barely tell there are there, but my eyes pop.

I like powder shadows as my skin (even my eye lids) are oily, and the powders give me staying power.

For liner I use the Urban Decay 24/7. Once they are on and I dust them with finishing powder, they stay put.

I do not use black, I find many of the colors give me definition with out looking stark, plums, grey, and even navy blue.

Michele

Occasional Contributor

I do not understand why people think that matte is the only way to go for aging eyes. I know this or that article or so-called expert will tell you to stay away from shimmer, but I feel matte is just as bad. It looks dry, flat, and makes eyes look crinkly. I think that the absolute best way to go is using a satin finish in a light color to open the eye up (all over the lid) and then using a matte only at the crease, outer corner, and lash line is the most flattering. You do not have to use the matte in all those places, but I was just listing them all. A full matte eye looks very dry in my opinion. While you do not need full on shimmer, you do not need full on matte either. I think some would be surprised to see what nice silky satin could do for you. It is a very happen medium. Toss chalky mattes. They are not doing you any favors.

Respected Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Dawnz said:

I do not understand why people think that matte is the only way to go for aging eyes. I know this or that article or so-called expert will tell you to stay away from shimmer, but I feel matte is just as bad. It looks dry, flat, and makes eyes look crinkly. I think that the absolute best way to go is using a satin finish in a light color to open the eye up (all over the lid) and then using a matte only at the crease, outer corner, and lash line is the most flattering. You do not have to use the matte in all those places, but I was just listing them all. A full matte eye looks very dry in my opinion. While you do not need full on shimmer, you do not need full on matte either. I think some would be surprised to see what nice silky satin could do for you. It is a very happen medium. Toss chalky mattes. They are not doing you any favors.

Sing it, Sister! I'm 59, and really don't like an all-matte look on my eyes. A nice pearly luster opens up my eyes and makes me look more awake. I sometimes like a bit of luster in my blush, too. Everyone needs to learn the difference between "glitter" (bad on older skin) and "shimmer" (can be very flattering). It's all about application!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Dawnz said:

I agree--I am not a fan of all matte, nor am I fond of an uber shimmery look. Something in between is most flattering. "Silky satin" is a good way to describe it.

Trusted Contributor

My current go-to is MAC eyeshadow in shale, a satin finish.