Super Contributor

I am thinking of trying a face primer....this has been discussed in the past...but most comments are a few years old...

I am in my 70's...have dry skin...and live in a dry climate...

my makeup seems to disappear during the day...so I am thinking a primer might help...

suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thank you...

Respected Contributor

I have been using Estee Lauder the illuminator primer + finisher lately and I really like it. It's not one of those silconey ones. Doesn't ball up at all over serum and moisturizer.  Makeup goes on so nicely over it and it seems to stay (but I do use a setting spray too). 

Valued Contributor

I always use one prior to makeup. Have tried a variety of different ones. In my opinion,  a primer makes my makeup smoother and last longer. I think a moisturizing primer works better with a liquid/cream foundation. And I think a more matte one works better with a powder foundation.     Sometimes when I don't want to wear foundation, a primer alone will even out my complexion and make it look better.

Honored Contributor

two that i have been using consistently long term and with good results. i would not apply makeup without using a primer first. it definitely makes a huge difference for me.

smashbox primer.....it is the original and has been around for a long time..... and it is tough to beat an original. i use this in conjunction with the smashbox primer water which is a spray application.

senegence silk is the other brand i use. goes on so smoothly and easily and yes, it does have a silky feel.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  turned me on to a Bobbi Brown moisturizer with primer.  I have very dry, sensitive skin and the BB has been fabulous.  I've no reaction to it, it doesn't ball up when applying my liquid foundation, and I really like how it performs.  Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

I've tried many with mixed results.

I am currently using Bare Minerals Prime Time in the medium tint.  It goes on smoothly and can be worn alone for a non makeup day.

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 , what is the purpose of wearing a primer without makeup?  What is the benefit?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Re: Face Primer

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 , what is the purpose of wearing a primer without makeup?  What is the benefit?

The Prime Time has a bit of tint. It evens and smooths out my skin and gives me a slight glow.  @Peaches McPhee 

Honored Contributor

Re: Face Primer

[ Edited ]

e.l.f. Poreless Putty Primer ($8 !) is everything I ever wanted in a primer and more. It is very hydrating (contains squalane) and I sometimes I put it on just to keep my face moisturized...I love it so much! You can also use it as an eyeshadow primer. It gives my face a nice satin finish,  my makeup stays fresh looking all day and doesn't move or change colors.  It has been compared to Tatcha's $50 Silk Canvas Balm. 

ETA - There are also two newer Putty primers...a Matte and also a Luminous. I have not tried either.

Occasional Contributor

I consider primer the best product I have added to my routine in 10 years. Because of its ability to "seal and lock in" moisturizer, your makeup sits atop nicely. I need so much less foundation because my pores are not sucking it all up! And as I age, I feel less foundation gives a more youthful appearance. I have used IT cosmetics primer as well as Laura Geller Spackle. But if you read the ingredients, any drugstore brand will probably give you similar results!! Good luck!