Super Contributor

The best advice I ever received regarding this came from this board. I am allergic to pretty much every balm - EOS, Blistex, some flavors of Bonne Bell, Carmex, all of it. Also allergic to whitening stuff in toothpaste.

Get rid of all that stuff and use Aquaphor. My lips are FINALLY okay after all these years of reactions to lip products.

Respected Contributor

I have this issue sometimes and my MD recommended I use the ointment/gel form of Cortizone in a tube..works great.

Regular Contributor

At the suggestion of some commenters I went and bought Neosporin's Lip Health Overnight Renewal Therapy and used it last night. I really liked it after just one night (it claims to restore visibly healthier lips in 3 days). It will be my night balm. In the daytime I use Dermstore's Lip Quench (it's pink so I don't care to use it at night) and I top it off with L'Oreal's Extraordinaire by Colour Riche. I now know my lips will survive this wintery winter in great shape. So tired of chapped lips (so tired of winter too though I know I'll regret saying that when it's 98° in July).

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/18/2014 glitzandglam said:

I can't imagine anyone actually going out of the house without an SPF product on their lips. My lips and skin are very sensitive to sun, wind, and cold. I'd be drying, chapped, and peeling within a couple of hours, I'm convinced.

I'm really eager to try some of the balms suggested here, so thanks to those of you who shared your experiences!

Natural spf- yes! Chemical spf- definitely no.

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to apply coconut oil or some other oil, and then seal in the oil with shea butter.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor
On 2/18/2014 Trix said:

About 15 years ago, I discovered Smith's Rosebud Salve. I haven't had a chapped lip since. It's only about $6 for a tin which lasts a good 6-months. I use it as part of my skincare routine twice a day.

Fast results.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~