Respected Contributor

Every now and then it's fun to go for a mani pedi.  Usually I do my own.  I guess I'm lucky my cuticles never get bad and don't take much fussing with.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X I feel the same way. Why do people do this? My cuticles never change. They're just 'there.' I just don't get it.

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline and @Funloving  From what I've learned and witnessed online, this is one area where nail techs (and also some educators) lack adequate knowledge regarding nail anatomy and/or continue to basically do (or teach) what they've initially learned. It's also amazing how many comments I've read from well-educated nail techs that when they refuse to cut a client's eponychium, the client insists that it be done. 

The injured skin grows back rougher, thicker in an effort to protect the area and the cycle continues.

Respected Contributor

Very interesting @juperier.  Maybe that's why my cuticles aren't problematic and require very little attention.  Thanks for the information!  It makes sense.

Honored Contributor

FIle first then everything else. 

I don't do much for my cuticles other than use a cuticle cream at night and push them back with a towel after I wash my hands and after a shower/bath. NEVER cut them, I know that. 

People ask where I my nails done and I say "in my living room. I do them myself".

Now, pedicures? THAT I have done by someone else.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I just had my yearly exam with a new derm. I was surprised that he zeroed in on my cuticles of all things! He told me to let them grow! Says I'm fussing too much with them. Glad to hear it because I hate treating my cuticles. Now I let them grow, paint my nails and I'm good to go. Woman Happy

@ID2

Based on the posts here, I'm not sure why anyone is pushing back their cuticles!    What exactly are they trying to accomplish?    

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I have never had a manicure, nor have I soaked or pushed back my cuticles.  My fingernails don't seem to have suffered as a result of this "neglect."  Pushing back the cuticle strikes me as a mildly painful or at least uncomfortable thing to do.  I have heard that you shouldn't break the cuticle seal, as it is a barrier against bacteria entering the body.

@Ms X

I'm surprised most women don't know this.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I can tell you why I do it: the skin on a few of my fingers builds up to the point that is painful and I have to have my doctor cut it back. That costs me a few hundreds in office and procedure fees. Some people have an issue with this, some don't. He told me the easiest and safest thing to do is ofter washing my hands, to gently rub the cloth towel down my my fingers (not paper towels) as I'm drying my hands- same after a bath or shower. In addition, to use a cuticle cream with AHA in it at night (Creative Nails makes one). Been doing this for years and no issue with the build up anymore.

Not everyone does it as a beauty-thing. 

Honored Contributor

I don't soak, I just use a cuticle remover. 

If you buff before you push back your cuticles, the part of the nail that was covered by the cuticle won't be affected by the buffing. so buff after pushing back.

I rarely buff at all because it removes layers of the nail. I only buff if I have staining or need to buff a peeled spot away.