Valued Contributor

Does anyone use coconut oil as an under eye moisturizer?

Just wondering if this can be used around the eye (at night) to moisturize the eye area. Or, if not this, would anyone have suggestions on other natural substances that I could use rather than buy expensive eye creams.

I bought the Cerave eye repair cream, based on Paula Begoun's recommendation on Beautypedia, but I've read a lot of reviews complaining about it making people break out. I have enough trouble with my eyes, so rather than take a chance, I've decided not to try it and just return it. I was considering other eye creams to try, but then thought that there might be certain oils, etc., I could use to serve the same purpose. Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone use coconut oil as an under eye moisturizer?

I've used coconut oil as an all over face mositurizer and love it!  Tanny Raw on you tube did a tutorial on her "natural" skin care routine and there were some good ideas.  I also use it once a week as a hair conditioner as well as on my legs so they won't be dry.  When I do this, my tiny pup begs for some of the coconut oil!  Yup, coconut oil has numerous duties in my house.  I haven't heard of anyone having issues with their eyes when using it, but I know a lot of people use it as a face cream.  Let us know how it works for you!  The price is right and I'm no longer looking at over rated expensive creams.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally do not like coconut oil for my face except to remove eye makeup that doesn't come off with my regular cleanser (only some waterproof type eye makeup).

I would recommend rose hip seed oil or Paula's choice RESIST moisture renewal boost oil for use under the eye. My eyes get irritated by most things but these are two things I can use that don't irritate them. You just need a tiny amount of either and gently tap tap tap it around the delicate undereye area. I also will tap a tiny bit into the outer corners of the eyes or underneath over my makeup during the day on days I look more tired or dry, usually when I haven't drank enough water. It helps give me a more refreshed look.

Here is PC's oil ingredients if interested:

Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Echium Plantagineum Seed Oil (all non-fragrant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich plant oils), Ceramide NS (skin-repairing ingredients), Cholesterol (skin-repairing ingredients)

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your skin has a tendency to get clogged pores, I wouldn't. I tried it and had problems with the top part of my cheek what migrated during sleep. I later looked at a list of oils that clog pores and it was on it.

Edited to add I use Paula's Choice eye cream & tried her oil booster and neither broke me out. In fact by accident I used her eye cream, on some lines on my upper lip that I've used her C product on that the packaging is identical, and I didn't get clogged pores around my mouth. That $55 C treatment she sells really helped my wrinkles BTW.

Honored Contributor

Just depends on your skin type.
Here's a really good article explaining the ratios of 

Oleic Acid vs Linoleic Acid & the benefits for each skin type.

http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/oils-specifically-for-acne-prone-skin/

Dry skin needs: oils high in oleic acid
Oily skin needs: oils high in linoleic acid

OILS HIGHER IN OLEIC ACID

Avocado —Oleic–63% Linoleic–9.8%

Apricot Kernel —Oleic–64.2% Linoleic–28.3%

Hazelnut —Oleic–79.2 Linoleic–12%

Shea Nut -–Oleic–73.15 Linoleic–13.71

Macadamia —Oleic–53.8% Linoleic–1.8%

Sea Buckthorn —Oleic–28.4% Linoleic–6.8%

Olive —Oleic–55.28% Linoleic–17.84%

Sweet Almond (Organic)—Oleic–66.6% Linoleic–24.8%

Palm Fruit —Oleic–41% Linoleic–9.5%

SOMEWHAT BALANCED OILS HIGHER IN OLEIC ACID

Jojoba -–Oleic–5-15% Linoleic–5%

Flaxseed —Oleic–21% Linoleic–16%

Tamanu —Oleic–41.4% Linoleic–29.7%

Argan —Oleic–42-48% Linoleic–30-38%

Coconut (Unrefined)—Oleic–5-10% Linoleic–1-2.5%

Coconut (Refined)—Oleic–4.39% Linoleic–0.95%

OILS HIGHER IN LINOLEIC ACID

Safflower —Oleic–8-30% Linoleic–68-85%

Black Cumin Seed —Oleic–22.6% Linoleic–55.6%

Hemp Seed —Oleic–10.71% Linoleic–56.48%

Evening Primrose —Oleic–8.4% Linoleic–72.6%

Pumpkin Seed —Oleic–23.3% Linoleic–57.2%

Rosehip Seed —Oleic–13.9% Linoleic–44.1%

Grape Seed —Oleic–16.2% Linoleic–70.6%

Soybean —Oleic–22.72% Linoleic–52.97%

Wheat Germ —Oleic–12.1% Linoleic–58.4%

SOMEWHAT BALANCED OILS HIGHER IN LINOLEIC ACID

Castor —Oleic–3.93 Linoleic–4.32%
Kukui Nut —Oleic–25.4% Linoleic–39.8%

Pomegranate —Oleic–6.2 Linoleic–7.1

Sesame —Oleic–39.21% Linoleic–45.69%

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom  That is interesting.  I have dry skin and use avocado butter for everything.

Honored Contributor

Coconut does rate high on the comedogenic scale, so those prone to clogged pores should be cautious.

One other thing: Oils are great, and I love PC's oil booster. But an oil is not a moisturizer.I use the oil to seal in the moisturizer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC

Over the winter I found Pumpkin Seed Oil in my Walmart & gave it a try.  NICE!  Perfect for my combo skin.  But since summer is here, I'm going to get some Evening Primrose Oil for lighter application.

Using oils just made me realize how simple skin routines can be.

Simplicity simplicity simplicity! 

Valued Contributor

Just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who replied. I so appreciate you taking the time and bother to share your thoughts on this and provide me with some great advice. 

Thanks!