Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Makeup Haul Regret?

I've had many but one I've regreted since the day I bought it was Sisley's Phyto-Cerns Eye Concealer. I've now had it for a couple of years and tried it again for the past week as I read a rave review on MUA for it but for me it just does not work. First I probably bought a color that was a shade too dark, secondly, it is thick and doesn't blend in well so I feel it cakes so my under eye area has lots of cracks if you know what I mean. At the time, I felt guilty as I'd just returned another Sisely product so I thought I could make this concealer work. Mistake as I think it's going in the trash now.

I also have a bunch of eye shadow palettes I've collected over the years and half the time I don't use all the colors, only one or two. So I've learned my lesson and now buy from Inglot so I can choose the colors I want. I like a nude neutral eye with a little pop of color on the lid. My fave base color is 330 which I've bought numerous times & now always keep one in stock for when I run out. Inglot offers so many different colors that are inexpensive at $7.00 a pan, (and the pans are large compared to Trish McEvoy, Bobbi Brown & Laura Mercier which are the brands I used previously),  so I can experiment without feeling guilty about cost or waste. Just buy Inglot's Freedom Palette & mix and match as you please.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

The most expensive mistake I ever made was to buy the colors suggested by a pair of traveling Lancome "artiests" many, many years ago.  I really did not know what kinds of colors worked for me at that point. This was pre the TV shopping era and even pre Color Me Beautiful years.  Anyway, I bought what they recommended -  and ended up discarding virtually all of it eventually.

Later errors - any powdery foundations you can think of that I tried after I reached my mid-50's.  No need for me to name brands - for me they are all bad.

I now know I actually save money if I just go to the department store and pay for the exact composition and color Iike on my skin because I actually use what I buy.  Even though it costs more to begin with, it just ends up being less expensive in the long run.  I think of it just like I do for clothing - cost per wearing is more important than the first day's cost.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes get tempted when I see the makeup presented on TV, but I try to remember my regrets in the past: all the products I purchased that looked great on the models but just didn't work for me.

I am over 50 with very oily acne prone skin, and I am happy with my drugstore makeup items.  Once in awhile I will try a new item, but I usually go back to my tried and true faves.  I think many of us are always looking for the next best thing, but if what I am using works for me than I really don't need to look. Now, when a fave item is discontinued it is really frustrating trying to find a substitute product.

Honored Contributor

I've had regrets over kits in the past.  It wasn't the quality of the kits.  It was that I only used one product in the kit.  I learned kits aren't for me and I should just buy the one item I need.  The last kit I bought was two years ago.  It was a gift with purchase from lancome.  It was a big kit.  I think it was around $79.  I liked the eye shadows in it, but thought I'd use the other things.  I used one eye shadow a couple times. Before that was a Josie kit.  It was a TSV.  Didn't use most of it either.

Honored Contributor

I regret all of the foundations I bought in TSVs on QVC and stopped buying any TSVs with foundations a few years back. I learned that even if the foundation itself is great, QVC does not sell colors that match me in most of their kits.

Some of the foundations have been good and I've later bought a color that does match me at Sephora. Tarte makes foundations in a wider range of colors, but QVC still sticks to the 5 or 6. Very frustrating. I always try a foundation locally and only buy from QVC if I know for sure the color is a match because I tried it.

Respected Contributor

Yes, a Tarte kit. While I like some of Tarte's makeup, the eye shadows didn't have any staying power and two of the blushes were way too orangey on me. I used the mascara and lip pencils (two of them anyway) but that was about it. 

Valued Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I've had regrets over kits in the past.  It wasn't the quality of the kits.  It was that I only used one product in the kit.  I learned kits aren't for me and I should just buy the one item I need.  The last kit I bought was two years ago.  It was a gift with purchase from lancome.  It was a big kit.  I think it was around $79.  I liked the eye shadows in it, but thought I'd use the other things.  I used one eye shadow a couple times. Before that was a Josie kit.  It was a TSV.  Didn't use most of it either.

I just got the Josie kit A256725 the other day with my January Easy Pay offer, the one that just aired. I love her Argan Oil and Argan Milk. I haven't tried the Daily Moisturizer, but it contains the mineral sunscreens that don't irritate my skin and Beautypedia had given it a 5 star rating. That leaves only the Infinity Lip & Cheek to regret getting, but even if, I'm still getting 3 products for the price of two. 

Respected Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:

Mine has got to be the Too Faced HSN Today's Special Chocolate Bar Palette and a Once Only palette from last January. I got it home, but didn't really use it until past the point where I could return it. I am over 60, and this line of cosmetics, with it's sparkly, dark colors is definitely targeted towards much younger girls and women. I really didn't notice during the presentations because the models were in their 30's and 40's, and I couldn't detect how much glitter was in the eyeshadows until I saw it up close. I spent over $75 on the kits, and I force myself to use the few matte shades every once in a while, but I don't like the look I get from them. I have been tempted to just toss them in one of the Goodwill bins around town so if someone wanted to use them they could. 

I bought the chocolate bar hsn ts too and regretted it and I am so glad to see someone else doesn't like it either because everyone seems to rave about it.  All of the colors just look the same on my eyes - the dark ones that is and, yes, it is a bit too sparkly for me. I should have researched a bit before buying. I  have only used the kit once maybe twice.  

I also didn't like the IT naturally pretty celebration (I think).  I thought that palette was awful.  

Honored Contributor

Mine is any Skinn TS. I have so much that I am trying to use up. Had to throw away 2 jars of the orchid gel as it was smelly. And have a couple more sets that are sealed. I have vowed to use up what I have before getting anymore. We'll see...........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not sure what constitutes a "haul" per se but I've regretted a purchase here and there for sure. Not so much for quite awhile but the most recent one was Mally's new and "improved" shadow stick set. They did not last at all and only one of the five (four?) I really liked but the rest were just ok or not good. But the staying power was so lacking, even with primer, I returned them. 

The time before that was Laura geller lip pops. Terrible. Unfortunately they don't accept returns during sales at LG but fortunately they didn't cost much. I hate throwing things in the trash but that is where these went.