Honored Contributor

Re: Can anyone recommend a good eye cream?

On 9/6/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 9/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:

The only thing that I ever hear as a rationale for a separate product for the eye is that the skin is thinner and more delicate.

I don't understand what's in an "eye" product that would moisturize or treat that area that couldn't also be in a face moisturizer. Are there specific ingredients that any company ever mentions that should be used only on thin skin?

I could definitely see not using anything harsh or too heavy for such skin, but I wouldn't want that type of face moisturizer either.

I tend to be skeptical and think that it's more a marketing strategy than anything else.

I agree with you suzy- I just use whatever I use for my face on my eyes and my neck. I too would not use anything too heavy or harsh on my face and that belief would certainly translate over into eye products.

However, there are certain ingredients in some eye products that are really good for the issues that eye areas often have that the other ares of the face don't, like puffiness. For example, caffeine. Caffeine is a great ingredient for eye specific issues and is not often found in a face product. So I suppose if I have specific issues with my eye area that I don't have elsewhere, I'd research which ingredient(s) are good for those issues and either try to find a face product that also contains those products or I would buy an eye specific product.

I think more importantly than purchasing a separate eye product is how you apply a cream/lotion/gel to the eye area-you should be extra gentle applying in that area because it is more delicate. A gentle tapping application method is much better than slapping it on and smoothing over that area which can tug the delicate eye skin.

Good point about ingredients that may be effective for puffiness or something like dark circles -- problems specific to the eye area.

I do not know just how valid those claims are, though. The reviews for the 100 Percent Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine eye cream are as mixed as most skincare products, with many complaining of irritation and lack of efficacy.

And when it comes to dark circles, I'm sure it's the same. It is asking a lot of a topical product that has to be safe for the eye area, isn't it? Thank goodness for concealer. Smile

If I ever found an eye cream in a tube that had ingredients clinically proven to do more for the skin around my eyes than does my moisturizer, I'll be all over it. Price be darned.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I use Cerave, but have been having issues with my eczema on my eyes and around my mouth, so I've been using what has been working on my hands since it was diagnosed on my face and hands, Eucerin cream in the tub. I know it has horrible ingredients in it for your face like mineral oil, petroleum and the like, but I use it just on my eyes, under my eyes and around the edges of my mouth where the dry skin is the worst. I was foolish in just slapping it down on the area and got outbreaks. Just use it on your eyes if you have very dry skin. My dark circles are a lot lighter!!! I'll probably keep using it during the winter too!

Super Contributor

On 9/4/2014 valeriecherish said:

I always come back to DHC's concentrated eye cream. $35 but lasts a long time.

My best friend uses this also. Loves all of their products. I have tried several brands over the years. What I like best is the Yves Rocher Active Sensitive line, with Botanical Sophorine. There are several great products, depending on your needs. All are botanical based. Earth friendly, animal friendly. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Kiehl's avocado eye cram
Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Good point about ingredients that may be effective for puffiness or something like dark circles -- problems specific to the eye area.

I do not know just how valid those claims are, though. The reviews for the 100 Percent Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine eye cream are as mixed as most skincare products, with many complaining of irritation and lack of efficacy.

And when it comes to dark circles, I'm sure it's the same. It is asking a lot of a topical product that has to be safe for the eye area, isn't it? Thank goodness for concealer. Smile

If I ever found an eye cream in a tube that had ingredients clinically proven to do more for the skin around my eyes than does my moisturizer, I'll be all over it. Price be darned.

I agree with all your points and part of the mixed reviews on products, like the 100% pure one you mentioned (which I have tried in the past and do like) is how severe your issues are. As with anything, if you expect miracles from a topical product for deep wrinkles or alot of winkles from facial expressions or years or sun exposure without protection, then you will be sorely disappointed.

And don't get me started on dark circles, lol! No product will help genetic dark circles or even dark circles that appear due to how thin that skin has become due to aging. And since most people with dark circles fall into one of two categories mentioned, basically VERY FEW people will get results for their dark circles from a topical product- only those that have dark circles due to, say, a bad night's sleep or over-imbibing the night before, lol.

I too would not even blink at the cost of an eye product that actually does more for my eye area than a regular, high quality facial moisturizer. I'd love to be able to thicken the skin under my eyes so any darkness would be less evident or wipe away any fine lines from smiling. A miracle in a tube for sure!

Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I agree with all your points and part of the mixed reviews on products, like the 100% pure one you mentioned (which I have tried in the past and do like) is how severe your issues are. As with anything, if you expect miracles from a topical product for deep wrinkles or alot of winkles from facial expressions or years or sun exposure without protection, then you will be sorely disappointed.

And don't get me started on dark circles, lol! No product will help genetic dark circles or even dark circles that appear due to how thin that skin has become due to aging. And since most people with dark circles fall into one of two categories mentioned, basically VERY FEW people will get results for their dark circles from a topical product- only those that have dark circles due to, say, a bad night's sleep or over-imbibing the night before, lol.

I too would not even blink at the cost of an eye product that actually does more for my eye area than a regular, high quality facial moisturizer. I'd love to be able to thicken the skin under my eyes so any darkness would be less evident or wipe away any fine lines from smiling. A miracle in a tube for sure!

Let's promise to alert the other if we should find this Holy Grail, shall we? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

On 9/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 9/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Let's promise to alert the other if we should find this Holy Grail, shall we? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I've had some luck with dark circles using Isomers R Pur for eyes. It is also supposed to help with the fatty pad under the lower eye lid. Not a total cure but an improvement. It runs about $35 and does last me a long time.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 UMTerpFan said:
On 9/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 9/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I've had some luck with dark circles using Isomers R Pur for eyes. It is also supposed to help with the fatty pad under the lower eye lid. Not a total cure but an improvement. It runs about $35 and does last me a long time.

Thanks, UMTerpFan.

Esteemed Contributor

I love Ole Henriksen's Ultimate Lift Eye Gel. It's $42.

Most of the good eye treatments average in the $30 range (some more/some less). Even Olay in the drugstore starts around $20, and Avon Anew versions are $30+ and those are brands with reputations of being decent and inexpensive.

Super Contributor

I'm hoping when I go to the ophthalmologist for a regular eye health exam he can help me with the constant tearing. I swear that if the under & outside corners of my eyes weren't constantly being bathed in salty tear water my eyes would be perfect.

I'm wondering if I might be better off with a balm type product that would stay better than a cream or serum? Any thoughts?