Esteemed Contributor

Beckman boys hand caddy Vanilla smells awful.....

[ Edited ]

Purchased  the plain goat milk wipes and soap - no fragrance and felt it was a good buy.  The chemical odors of the fragrance made me ill. It took washing with 3 different soaps to dilute the smell and I have sensitive skin.  

What went wrong here. Will be returning today. There was mineral oil listed as one of the ingredients and it never said the was vanilla in the ingredients. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beckman boys hand caddy Vanilla smells awful.....

Glad I didn't buy those.  You might want to try using the cleansing wipes from Skinn Cosmetics.  They are fabulous. 

Trusted Contributor

I like the Beekman Boys, but I have not liked the scents of all of their products.  The fresh cream goat's milk handcream scent was not pleasant.  I ended up using it as a foot lotion.  Right not I am using up their products but I don't think I'll be buying more.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The honeyed grapefruit soap caddy was my first Beekman purchase. I had the same experience as you with that particular product. It smelled nothing like grapefruit or honey. It had a strong chemical odor, was very perfumey and was an instant asthma trigger. Took forever to get the lingering scent off my hands. I ended up giving it away. 

I gave them another try but stuck with the bar soaps and wipes. Both are fantastic products, are lightly scented and they smell like their description. Even though I was leery about ordering a product with liquid soap and lotion again, I took a chance and ordered the bounty box. I was surprised and relieved at the scent of the iris&aloe. It had none of the strong chemical, perfumey scent like the caddy set. It didn't trigger my asthma or allergies or cause a headache. It was a lovely, clean and light scent that just smells like spring. 

Im not sure what the deal is with the caddies. I just got the honeyed grapefruit wipes and they smell exactly what I would expect from their name. It's a nice scent. Maybe the caddies were old and the scent turned, idk.  I hope they tweak their formula and tone it down the level of scent. I like the caddy concept but won't take a chance again on those anytime soon.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Purchased  the plain goat milk wipes and soap - no fragrance and felt it was a good buy.  The chemical odors of the fragrance made me ill. It took washing with 3 different soaps to dilute the smell and I have sensitive skin.  

What went wrong here. Will be returning today. There was mineral oil listed as one of the ingredients and it never said the was vanilla in the ingredients. 

All the body lotions & hand lotion/cream are the same exact ingredients now since they changed the lotion/cream formula to the body lotion formula. They all have mineral oil in them.

The Vanilla Absolute smells pretty good when it's fresh. I still have a little hand cream left in a large tube. It smells different now then it did when I bought it. Not in a good way either.

They don't use parabens but use Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate as their preservative in their body/hand lotions. Sounds like some nasty stuff after reading about it.

If you bought the unscented goats milk wipes everyone was complaining about the stinky sour smell they had. I tried to use them but they irritated my face so I cannot use them on my face. Don't know what I'm going to do with 8 packs of wipes I have.

I'm mainly going to stick with their bar soaps.

Trusted Contributor

My mother bought me the caddy of the vanilla absolute the last visit with her $10 off.  I love the smell of the vanilla absolute, but my caddy rocks back and forth and half the product was spilled all over the box.  It literally appeared like someone's return as the pumps were already opened and only half full.  I ordered the bounty box that weekend and that was fine.  I purchased as a gift for someone as I don't like eucalyptus or menthol, but was interested in the fall and winter scents so I took the A/D option.  I have now been disappointed on two different Beekman purchases. One being the goat milk wipes and now this.  And definitely not happy with formulation changes.  I personally think the boys have grown too quickly and will soon be cheapening their products (since they have already started down that path).  

Trusted Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

My mother bought me the caddy of the vanilla absolute the last visit with her $10 off.  I love the smell of the vanilla absolute, but my caddy rocks back and forth and half the product was spilled all over the box.  It literally appeared like someone's return as the pumps were already opened and only half full.  I ordered the bounty box that weekend and that was fine.  I purchased as a gift for someone as I don't like eucalyptus or menthol, but was interested in the fall and winter scents so I took the A/D option.  I have now been disappointed on two different Beekman purchases. One being the goat milk wipes and now this.  And definitely not happy with formulation changes.  I personally think the boys have grown too quickly and will soon be cheapening their products (since they have already started down that path).  

I had the same problem with the hand caddy. The packaging for shipment was awful. It was simply the caddy put in an oversized Evine box with nothing to cushion it or keep it in place. No bubble wrap, nothing. This allowed it to free fall around in the box during shipping, which I assume, dislodged the pumps to the open position and allowed the product to leak. I knew it was a problem before I opened it, as I could smell it through the box. The hand soap had leaked out, down the side of the bottle and onto the box. Luckily, it was still pretty full so I didn't have to bother returning.

There are a number of reviews of the caddy reporting the same problem. Someone mentioned Evine giving them a partial credit for the spilled product when they called customer service. Maybe your mom can call CS and get a credit for damaged merchandise. 

Trusted Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@nycgrl wrote:

I had the same problem with the hand caddy. The packaging for shipment was awful. It was simply the caddy put in an oversized Evine box with nothing to cushion it or keep it in place. No bubble wrap, nothing. This allowed it to free fall around in the box during shipping, which I assume, dislodged the pumps to the open position and allowed the product to leak. I knew it was a problem before I opened it, as I could smell it through the box. The hand soap had leaked out, down the side of the bottle and onto the box. Luckily, it was still pretty full so I didn't have to bother returning.

There are a number of reviews of the caddy reporting the same problem. Someone mentioned Evine giving them a partial credit for the spilled product when they called customer service. Maybe your mom can call CS and get a credit for damaged merchandise. 

Yes, my mother called and they are supposedly sending a replacement.  Hopefully they will and it will be properly packaged.  Evine's CS is sketchy to put it mildly.  I still love the vanilla absolute scent though.  Just a bit annoyed at issues with Beekman products.  I don't have problems with anything else I order from Evine.  Hoping the boys read these boards.  I did also write to them on their "contact us" home page.  I am not on facebook so no other way to send a message.  They did reach out last time about the wipes - hopefully they will take note of this also.  And I did mention that many people have noticed the reformulations to the products and that goat milk is the last ingredient on the deck.  Let's see if I get a response ...