Honored Contributor

Anyone try Madison Reed Haircolor?

What did you think? A good company to work with? How did your color work? Thanks for your opinions!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone try Madison Reed Haircolor?

I did not order, but looked into them. It seemed too hard to choose a color online. If you give your email address, they will email you at least once daily. 

Honored Contributor

I did the survey and they gave me 5 different shades to chosse from, with one of them being The Best Match for me.....I think I will try them with just the One Time Shipment, I don't want to be locked into anything..........The colors look very pretty and the reviews are very positive as well........Did you take the survey while on their site?

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I ordered a one time shiopment so I will post a review once I have tried it!!!!!!!I am excited as there are lots of good reviews on the website!!!!! 

Super Contributor

I have tried them along with eSalon.  

I have been coloring my gray roots for over 20 years and always use a box. In other words, I know what I'm doing.  I color every 3 to 4 weeks. 

I took the quiz which is quite thorough. It gave me 6 or 7 suggestions based on the quiz. I selected one of those colors. 

It does need to stay on longer than the typical box color. For gray, 45 minutes and they give you a cap (nice touch). I kept it on at least 50 minutes. I stepped out of the shower, looked in the mirror and had hot roots which is bright red roots. My hair color is meidum to dark brown. I have never ever had hot roots. I work outside the home in a what I would call a highly visible position, lots of meetings, presentations, leading daily Agile sprints. I used my holy grail Gray Away spray to cover my red roots and called their CS the next day. She was very helpful and sent me a free kit with ash (I believe it also had violet undertones) to use. 

I understood her advice. My point was that on the quiz I indicated my hair color, my history of coloring (every three weeks) and that I was trying to cover gray and whatever else. The color I chose was one of their suggestions. She said I chose a color with red. Well, then why the heck did your data base make the suggestion of a red undertone for someone who was trying to cover significant amount of gray?

Fast forward. I think they should have FedEx'd the replacement but they sent it regular mail. I could not wait. I went and bought Garnie ash brown something and redid my roots. Worked great. Red was gone.  Fast forward again. Three weeks later it is time to do my roots. I used the replacement kit they sent me, the new more ash color.  Although I did not get hot roots, it did not cover my gray. There are sections where I am still gray near the scalp, and other sections are a lighter shade of ash brown.  I kept it on 55 minutes.

There is zero smell, zero stinging, it is very gentle.  The kit is very nice with two pairs of gloves, good size shampoo and conditioner for several uses, color barrier for the skin, color remover in case you still stain your skin.  The formula is very thick and somewhat difficult to squeeze out of the bottle. This was true of both kits. If you have arthritic hands, you might want to cut lower on the nozzle so the hole might be larger.

This was my experience based on my hair and my desired results.  

eSalon was not any better than the boxes I get at the drug store but you do feel special since they imprint your name on all the bottles and the box.  I think the eSalon was a bit more irritating on my scalp than Garnier, L'oreal, etc. I had more sting and itched for a week afterward. I usually get sting and some itch but this was worse although not unbearable. 

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor

Hi Lulu, thanks for the helpful review. Sorry about your hot roots! You mentioned that you had a favorite gray-cover spray.  What is it?   I box color too. I use L'Oreal. 

Respected Contributor

to eliminate stinging, there is a product, Care&Comfort you mix into your color..79 c. liquid, comes ina packet.  i always use it unless i'm coloring off-scalp i.e highlights

Occasional Contributor

I used it just for a change.  I don't color my hair often...well, hardly ever. I don't have grays yet, but occasionally like a change.  My hair is shoulder length, very fine and very thin and the last time I had a salon color, my hair got dry and frizzy.  Not good on fine thin hair.  So I was a little worried, but in a moment of "I hate my hair", I gave it a shot, figuring worst case scenario, I'd just go get it cut short again.

I didn't use their recommendation...I'm a darker blonde and wanted a strawberry blonde (which I've been before and always receive compliments).  So I chose the color myself. I also got their shampoo and conditioner, which got very good reviews.

The process was easy and it didn't smell bad.  I left the color on exactly as long as they said.  I loved the color from day 1.  But color historically doesn't stay on my hair well, so I expected quick fading.  Nope.  It's now 3 weeks later and still looks great - healthy, shiny and not frizzy.

I'm really happy with it and will use it again.  

Honored Contributor

@LuluOnBeauty

Hi (waving!)

the discussion concerning coloring gray hair leads me to ask questions.

My "painted" hair color worked very nicely until about a year ago. My stylist tells me that the formula she uses did not change.

My hair is now reddish (used to be blonde) and  scalp itches for weeks after coloring session.

She says this is because I have gray now.

What should I do? I have always had my hair colored/bleached and it used to make the hair better, not worse. TIA

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~