Respected Contributor

Annoying sales people in Sephora....

Everytime I go to a sephora unless they are soooo crowded, sales people are so annoying.  I know it is their job to do that so I am patient with them.  I have worked in retail sales.  I bet in about 15 minutes I had some ask about needing help 15 times. I finally just left.  I guess that is why I like Ulta better.  You usually get asked once or twice but they leave you alone after that.  Sephora just would not leave me alone.  I think I will write to their headquarters.

Respected Contributor

Re: Annoying sales people in Sephora....

@chiclet wrote:

Everytime I go to a sephora unless they are soooo crowded, sales people are so annoying.  I know it is their job to do that so I am patient with them.  I have worked in retail sales.  I bet in about 15 minutes I had some ask about needing help 15 times. I finally just left.  I guess that is why I like Ulta better.  You usually get asked once or twice but they leave you alone after that.  Sephora just would not leave me alone.  I think I will write to their headquarters.

Wow.  My Sephoras aren’t like that at all.  I usually get asked once and at Ulta I can never find anyone to help me and it’s so dirty. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That must have been the same Sephora I was in!Woman Surprised

I've only been in a Sephora store once and the whole time I just felt like they were watching and following even after they asked if I needed help (and I said just looking).

So it wasn't helpful just annoying.

I didn't want to ask them something,

after my first question (don't remember what), either because I didn't feel they would give me an honest response, but just try to sell anything if that makes sense.

The only time I went to an Ulta store, it was overwhelming. Some of the representatives were very helpful and others not so much.

I wish they had also told/shown us the more affordable lines on another part of the store, which I didn't know were there until just about to leave.

They just showed us all the designer lines-Laura Geller, Nars, Too-faced etc. We were looking for my daughter's wedding makeup.

I think there is an art to being a good salesperson-to be helpful but not annoying. Same with a waitress/waiter.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I find that the Sephora sales people can be annoying. I wonder if the store I visit has a shoplifting problem as I've heard the door greeter talk into her walkie talkie mic set telling another employee to keep their eye on a group of teens. This was during the Sephora Beauty Insider store wide discounts back in mid November. 

What the store employees did not realize was that the store was full of teens because it was a public school pro D day and students had the day off from school so they were all at the nearby mall. The teens weren't doing anything wrong. Sephora is one of the stores that groups of teen girls and boys will visit.

Honored Contributor

Sephora sales reps do not work on commission.  The managers get a bonus if the store does well, but it's not a fantastic bonus.  I find the salespeople at Sephora to be helpful.

I also have found some Ulta stores are helpful.  I used to hate Ulta.  It's hit or miss now.  I was in Scottsdale, AZ last week , and the ULTA I went to was awful.  The store was dirty and the sales reps were rude and unconcerned.  The manager seemed ok.

Sephoras are consistently good, but I do find Ulta to have better sales lately.  Sephora is stingy with their sales--usually a couple times a year. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

at this point in my life it is a "smile and I say just looking, I will let you know" and I keep looking 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I literally had to hold my hand up once to a sales girl at Ulta and tell her to stop I had already said no to what she was offering three times and she continued with her pitch.  I said just take my money and let me leave in peace.  I have not been back.  Must have some hard core sales people at all retail stores.  Still no is no whether to "date" or a possible "business transaction".

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet  I haven't noticed this in Sephora...but starting a few years ago there must have been a policy change at TJMax.  The staff starts stalking within minutes of entering the store.  I have never been in any other store where the staff so aggressively asks if they can help or if you are finding everything....in other works making their presence blatantly known.  I wonder if there is a response that lets them know that you are aware of what they are doing and NO I'm not a shop lifter.  It is a minor inconvenience, but one that makes the shopping experience less enjoyable.  I like how @jackthebear mentioned she responses....with a smile "I'll let uou know if I need help"....I think this will be my go to answer.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd I always tell the salesgirls that I am just browsing.If they keep following me after that I tell them that I am not a shoplifter but if you think I am put your cameras on me and follow someone else.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is a fine line.  They want to be there to help but to keep following you is very uncomfortable.  I am a slow shopper that likes to take my time.  If they do this to me I leave the store.  I don't deal well with people in my personal space.