Trusted Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman Secure vs other meal replacements

@Ibby114 I'm not particularly impressed with it containing DATEM (which is a fairly common ingredient these days). I haven't really research it tho, and don't have the chemistry background to make sense of it anyway.

Others might object to the sucralose and aceulfame potassium as they are artificial sweetners. Secure also contains both ingredients, but most likely in far smaller amounts since it also contains fructose as a sweetener. I do trust Andrew Lessman's knowledge regrading nutrition. Personally, I prefer to keep my consumption of all artificial sweeteners to a minimum, but these two certainly don't appear to be the worst ones out there.

Another consideration would be the absorbability of the forms of vitamins and minerals used. Again something I know little about other than it can definitely make a difference in the effectiveness of a supplement.

Trusted Contributor

Secure is not filling, low in protein and it has soy. Not sure why its touted as a meal replacement. It is just a Vitamin drink at best unless you add it to your smoothie.

Hope Andrew comes up with a non diary protein drink or meal replacement. There is plenty of demand from a trusted source like him.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@juperier wrote:

@Ibby114 I'm not particularly impressed with it containing DATEM (which is a fairly common ingredient these days). I haven't really research it tho, and don't have the chemistry background to make sense of it anyway.

Others might object to the sucralose and aceulfame potassium as they are artificial sweetners. Secure also contains both ingredients, but most likely in far smaller amounts since it also contains fructose as a sweetener. I do trust Andrew Lessman's knowledge regrading nutrition. Personally, I prefer to keep my consumption of all artificial sweeteners to a minimum, but these two certainly don't appear to be the worst ones out there.

Another consideration would be the absorbability of the forms of vitamins and minerals used. Again something I know little about other than it can definitely make a difference in the effectiveness of a supplement.

The location of sucralose and aceulfame potassium on the ingredient list varies with each flavor- the label I posted  is for chocolate. My favorite is strawberry (just had 'breakfast'!) and those ingredients are way at the bottom of the list.  Same with vanilla.

My dr also commented about the absorption of all the vitamins and minerals- so I take a multi (Andrew's Essential One) with my other daily supplements.

Esteemed Contributor

I just went to order a few cases from costco's website  - and look what I found. Premier sells an organic version with a little less protein- but STEVIA is the sweetner!! This is the chocolate label, vanilla is also available. I'm trying it!!!

premier protein organic.JPG

Honored Contributor

Both versions have Carrageenan in it though.  I try my darndest to stay away from that.

That has been linked to gastrointestinal inflammation and some studies show a link between that and high rates of colon cancer.  It's in a lot of dairy products like yogurts, ice cream, coffee creamers, etc.

Funny thing is, it's a vegan ingredient so people assume it's ok.

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114 I was coming back to add that to me, non-GMO is also a consideration  and saw your post. I think it depends on what each individual is looking for (and what ingredients they might be sensitive or allergic to).

Personally, I use it more as a snack/treat. So healthy, good tasting and low calorie is more of a priority. I tend to eat quite a bit of protein anyway, so I'm not particularly concerned about that. Even if I was actually using it as a meal replacement, I'd still prefer the vitamin/mineral content of the Secure. I'm lousy at consistantly taking supplements. Even with added fruit (or many other smoothie ingredients), the total calorie count would be around the same (or maybe less) than the Costo powders, with considerably more nutrition.

As far as stevia, I remember Andrew Lessman responding many years ago that he had looked at stevia, but (something about) he wasn't comfortable using it in the quantity that would be needed. Wish I could remember more because I do feel he does really research his ingredients, and more importantly, has the knowledge and ability to do a reasonably decent job of sorting it all out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Both versions have Carrageenan in it though.  I try my darndest to stay away from that.

That has been linked to gastrointestinal inflammation and some studies show a link between that and high rates of colon cancer.  It's in a lot of dairy products like yogurts, ice cream, coffee creamers, etc.

Funny thing is, it's a vegan ingredient so people assume it's ok.

It's very low on the ingredient list though.  I'm looking forward to trying this version of Premier chocolate shakes.  The original isn't bad (or chalky, like some other chocolate protein shakes), it's just not a 'wow'!!

Esteemed Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@Ibby114 I was coming back to add that to me, non-GMO is also a consideration  and saw your post. I think it depends on what each individual is looking for (and what ingredients they might be sensitive or allergic to).

Personally, I use it more as a snack/treat. So healthy, good tasting and low calorie is more of a priority. I tend to eat quite a bit of protein anyway, so I'm not particularly concerned about that. Even if I was actually using it as a meal replacement, I'd still prefer the vitamin/mineral content of the Secure. I'm lousy at consistantly taking supplements. Even with added fruit (or many other smoothie ingredients), the total calorie count would be around the same (or maybe less) than the Costo powders, with considerably more nutrition.

As far as stevia, I remember Andrew Lessman responding many years ago that he had looked at stevia, but (something about) he wasn't comfortable using it in the quantity that would be needed. Wish I could remember more because I do feel he does really research his ingredients, and more importantly, has the knowledge and ability to do a reasonably decent job of sorting it all out.

I think stevia is difficult for manufacturers to work since it's so concentrated. It can make items extremely sweet. For example,  in a big mug of coffee I use maybe 2 or 3 drops of liquid stevia. Any more,  it's way too sweet.

I'm going to check Andrews site for his blogs about stevia- I'm sure he has his prior research archived.

Honored Contributor

@FLGators wrote:

Secure is not filling, low in protein and it has soy. Not sure why its touted as a meal replacement. It is just a Vitamin drink at best unless you add it to your smoothie.

Hope Andrew comes up with a non diary protein drink or meal replacement. There is plenty of demand from a trusted source like him.

@FLGators

Perhaps because you can replace a meal with it?

Just because you don't like it or it doesn't satisfy  you doesn't mean others aren't getting benefits from it.

Is there a requirement that a SINGLE meal replacement contain a FULL DAY'S protein? I find it's a well balanced source of your daily requirements of vitamins, minerals and fiber and as someone with kidney failure the lower protein is perfect!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Andrew's blogs are on the website wordsonwellness (dot com).  There's lots of good info when you put 'stevia' in the search, he spoke about it in 2009. It's time he revisit the subject though!