Super Contributor

Re: And they wonder why the malls are dying

On 4/16/2014 PKB said:
On 4/16/2014 curlywhitedog said:

Malls are suffering because but for rare exceptions, good retail help is hard to find and because even when you can find help, they haven't been trained well enough to understand that the customer in front of them is, for that very moment, the most important person in the store. How often have you asked sales help if they had what you needed in a size or color that wasn't on the rack or counter and been met with the phrase "sorry, all our stock is out on the floor". Really? Nothing out back at all? How curious. Couldn't you just pretend to care and maybe take a walk back there and have a look see for me or, barring that, take a look at the stock that is out and see if maybe the customer just missed finding it on the rack? Or, how many times have you walked up to a cashier and put your things on the counter only to have to cool your heels while your cashier finishes her conversation with the cashier in the next aisle. Or the cashier who, while waiting on you, has to also answer the phone or confirm a price for a cashier working on someone else's order. I'm not a very demanding consumer but once it's my turn, it's MY turn. Every time I pick up my purchases to leave the store and say "thank you" to the cashier I want to kick myself in the behind. Why am I thanking her for just handing me my bag when she should be thanking me for shopping in her store which, in turn, provides her employment. When you add all these things together it's just easier and less frustrating to shop online where "out of stock" on an item means "out of stock". I'm no economist but I am a consumer and those are the reasons why I so infrequently shop in the malls anymore and I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't.

Maria

Actually, most of the time that is 99.9% correct. When a shipment comes in, it has to hit the floor immediately. At least it was many years ago when I worked in a high end department store. If you have ever seen the stockrooms, you'd know they can't keep stock in the back.

Plus, they only get so many of each size, so of course the most common sizes and popular colors sell out faster. That's why they should offer to call the other stores for you........but then, that's another customer service that seems to have gone by the wayside.

When I used to work for Sears, I would do that for a customer who was looking for a specific bedspread, comforter, whatever. Until management told us NOT to do that anymore.

Also, management did NOT want us to leave the sales floor, to look in back for something for a customer.

Leaving the register unattended was a BIG NO-NO.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

About the clerk asking about wanting a credit card. Years ago my late husband got a call from a very on the ball credit card employee.

She said that she'd noticed we'd lived at the same place for 30 years and suddenly moved. She was just checking that we were the same people who were trying to buy a new car and several other things.

Of course we weren't.

But at that time my husband did whatever paperwork that was required so that no one could open a credit card at any store in person. Everything had to be sent to our house.

Still, over and over we were asked if we wanted one. He'd explain and they'd say, "I can still get you one".

These people were just doing their job. No one blamed them. Once we tried it out and it was turned down. That worked for us.

I don't know if it is still in effect.

People might want to look into that.

Valued Contributor

On 4/19/2014 skuggles said:
On 4/16/2014 SunnyinSEPA said:

One of you stated "...good retail help is hard to find..." I recently applied for a <em>daytime sales associate</em> job at my local mall in a store that has a huge online business, as well as catalog. I was told I would be expected to sell $100 per hour (no commission, but no direct penalty if I couldn't) with at least three items in each sale, lift considerable weight (stock), and climb ladders (displays). I would have to be available evenings (I was originally told it was a daytime position), at least one weekend day each week, and holidays, all for $0.04 over minimum wage! That may be why good retail help is hard to find!

Bingo.

Double bingo Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

On 4/16/2014 curlywhitedog said:

How often have you asked sales help if they had what you needed in a size or color that wasn't on the rack or counter and been met with the phrase "sorry, all our stock is out on the floor". Really? Nothing out back at all? How curious. Couldn't you just pretend to care and maybe take a walk back there and have a look see for me or, barring that, take a look at the stock that is out and see if maybe the customer just missed finding it on the rack? .

Maria

After I retired, I worked briefly at a woman's clothing store. I can't speak for all stores but at that one there literally was NO stock out back. ALL of the inventory was put on the floor when it arrived. There were very specific instructions as to exactly how each new delivery of goods were to be displayed, including how they would be folded and/or hung. Older merchandise was put on sale (again in a very prescribed way as to how displayed) or were shipped out of the store. That way they cut down on overall store space, include back areas, and all the related building rents, utilities, and other costs.

So don't assume you are being lied to or are getting poor service because a clerk doesn't go into the back to look for additional colors or sizes.

Also while some items can be misplaced by being put onto a different rack, if the employees are doing what they are supposed to, they are also going through the store periodically during the day reorganizing the merchandise and placing items back in place. The chance of finding the color and size you want on another rack is tiny.

Super Contributor

I worked retail too, clothing and furniture. If it is not out on the sales floor then no one can buy it. Nothing is back-stocked except for some low dollar items like extra socks. And remember employees are watched just as closely as customers. Loss Prevention.