Honored Contributor

Recently, I noticed @Shanus mentioning alcohol-free hairspray, which can be rather difficult to find.  

I have an addiction to hairspray and that won't change no matter whether I can find alcohol-free hairspray or not.  However, I used to at least TRY to limit the amount of alcohol used on my hair.  One hairspray that was deemed Curly-Girl apporved was Pantene Airspray #4 (4 being the strength of hold).  However, that hairspray disappeared from the market back in 2020.  

My favorite hairspray is Paul Mitchell Quick Dry Sculpting Spray, and when I can I buy it in the large 1L bottles especially when I can get the Buy One Get One on Liters at Ulta.  Last time they had that sale, they had none in-store or online.  I have no intentions of giving this hairspray up.  It does have alcohol, but I like that I can spritz and then scrunch in my style. 

However, I did happen to run across a new to me Pantene Strong Hold Alcohol-Free* Hairspray today in Publix.  It was their last bottle, but I see Amazon does carry it if anyone is intersested.  It has the exact same ingredient deck as the old Airspray I used to get.  

I had planned on buying Rusk Weightless Hairspray if Publix happened to have it, which they did, one bottle.  But I figured $6 vs $16, might as well buy the Pantene.  The Rusk does have alcohol and I don't care for the fragrance, but I like the weightless aspect of it for my fine hair. 

* The asterisk indicates that there is actually an alcohol in it.  Benzyl Alcohol is used as a preservative and is considered Curly Girl approved. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess I too use hairspray. My hair would never stay in place if I didn't. Thank you so much for sharing this information. It's very helpful. 

Honored Contributor

Contrary to what some people believe, alochol is not bad for your hair when used in moderation.  

It is a vital ingredient in hair spray and is useful.  It reduces the drying time of the product.  Who wants wet dripping hair?

It also helps keep the ingredients emulsified, which is important.

And the alochol makes your hair easier to manage.

I use it to " film" my hair so that it doesn't become greasy.  I can wash my hair every other day, instead of daily if I use hairspray.

You shouldn't soak your hair, but a light spritz is beneficial and unless your hair is in bad shape to begin with, it isn't harmful or drying.  It actually has moisturizers in it.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   Thanks for posting. I'll look for that here. I'm growing out my bangs and they're almost long enough to "tuck". In the meanwhile, my stylist showed me how to use hairspray underneath a layer of hair, so it doesn't look stuck together and it does hold my bangs out of my eyes.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   Have you checked Amazon for the Pantene?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess   Have you checked Amazon for the Pantene?

@Shanus I mentioned in my OP that Amazon does carry this newly repackaged version.  Back when I was using the previous version, I was getting it from Amazon, but it disappeared in 2020.   

Honored Contributor

@Carmie some alcohols are drying and some are moisturizing.  SD Alcohol, usually the first ingredient in hairspray, is drying.  However, I also understand that most of it evaporates.  

Honored Contributor

I didn't know there was such a thing as "alcohol free" hairspray and I would think it would be better for your hair because I thought alcohol would be drying for your hair?

I have a question since hairspray was brought up.  I really hate it and it bothers my skin!  However, since getting older my hair seems to need some kind of control and frizz fighter and if I could find a hairspray that is fragrance free maybe this would not bother my skin!

What do you all think?  Does anybody have this issue with hairspray bothering them?  And do you have any suggestions for one that would give me some light, non-sticky hold and control without giving me skin issues???

I don't like a plastered on look, just something very light -- so it looks and feels like it's not even there! 

Thanks!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin