Honored Contributor

Re: According to PETA, Peter Thomas Roth tests on animals

I have never heard PTR make a claim of being Cruelty Free.

However, from what I can tell by doing a little research there are companies who DO say they are cruelty free, who display the Bunny,  who don't show up on PETA, or on other cruelty free lists, such as Leaping Bunny.  I have checked them by their product name, by their name, and by their company name - not there.  

Don't know why.

I posted a list of "questionables" here once looking for suggestions, and was scorched, won't do that again.  

If you have questions, you might check lists for your own edification.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@ChicagoHeather2 wrote:

"This is known information." So, every single one of the 90 million people who receive QVC's broadcast know this information? The point of the Internet and Forums is to share information and ask questions. If you know all, you needn't participate.

Actually, on THESE boards, it HAS been discussed quite a bit; that's how I and other posters knew.

Now, please take your rudeness elsewhere. 

Respected Contributor

if you go to the PTR website they address the question.  

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

However, from what I can tell by doing a little research there are companies who DO say they are cruelty free, who display the Bunny,  who don't show up on PETA, or on other cruelty free lists, such as Leaping Bunny.  I have checked them by their product name, by their name, and by their company name - not there.  

Don't know why.

I posted a list of "questionables" here once looking for suggestions, and was scorched, won't do that again.  

PTR used to be cruelty free,  @Drythe. He had to remove the cruelty free emblem on his packaging a few years back when he decided to sell to China and was going to start testing on animals. I have an email from their company confirming this. 

It kind of made me ill how much PTR bragged about all his products "flying off the shelves in China" a bit after he started selling in China- he was so proud...and I was so disappointed. But for many, it is all about the Benjamins.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Don't know why.

PTR used to be cruelty free,  @Drythe. He had to remove the cruelty free emblem on his packaging a few years back when he decided to sell to China and was going to start testing on animals. I have an email from their company confirming this. 

It kind of made me ill how much PTR bragged about all his products "flying off the shelves in China" a bit after he started selling in China- he was so proud...and I was so disappointed. But for many, it is all about the Benjamins.

@HappyDaze

Well, I guess I just proved that I don't know much about PTR!  Actually I don't know anything about him, or his products.  Didn't know he was ever CF, but it is true I never heard him say he was!

There is a way to get around that China thing and still be CF, it involves a bunch of testing over there, and some kind of certificate.  Jurlique had a post about it a few months ago, said it was a lengthy, no doubt expensive, process. 

As I mentioned in my paragraph above, there are several products (S) I've come across that show the Leaping Bunny, that I can't find on any web site. Not by product name, owner name, or company name.  

I don't know why.

Hope you are well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Don't know why.

@HappyDaze

Well, I guess I just proved that I don't know much about PTR!  Actually I don't know anything about him, or his products.  Didn't know he was ever CF, but it is true I never heard him say he was!

There is a way to get around that China thing and still be CF, it involves a bunch of testing over there, and some kind of certificate.  Jurlique had a post about it a few months ago, said it was a lengthy, no doubt expensive, process. 

As I mentioned in my paragraph above, there are several products (S) I've come across that show the Leaping Bunny, that I can't find on any web site. Not by product name, owner name, or company name.  

I don't know why.

Hope you are well.

@Drythe yes, there is an alternative method to animal testing to prove safety to the Chinese Government but it is more expensive so many companies opt for the cheaper alternative- animal testing. So, to me, that is beyond reprehensible because although I don't fault anyone for wanting to sell to China, I DO fault them for choosing the animal testing route in order to save a few $$. It just shows me that they really don't care about animals.

Isomers is another company that sells in China BUT they proved safety to China by the more expensive, alternative route. I commend them for that! I believe Perricone did to but can't remember. Either that or they don't sell to China at all. I can't remember, I just know they are truly cruelty free.

Which products are you referring to? I must have missed that post? Why did you get slammed?

Honored Contributor

ms traditional wrote:

Do you test on animals?

Peter Thomas Roth does not test any of our formulas or raw materials on animals but we believe in total transparency and will not claim that for the following reasons.

• We cannot be certain that a raw material supplier has not now or at some time in the past tested an ingredient on animals.  We do not knowingly purchase ingredients that have been tested on animals and inquire before purchasing ingredients, but some staple ingredients that have been used in products for years may have been tested on animals in the past.

• We do sell our products in China and some other countries that still do test on animals; though it is our understanding that China is moving towards stopping this practice. We are not alone in selling to China; nearly every major cosmetic company sells there.  Also to be noted, many major beauty retailers conduct business there including QVC and Sephora.  Again, you must feel comfortable in your choices but we hope you will consider all information in doing so.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

Do you test on animals?

Peter Thomas Roth does not test any of our formulas or raw materials on animals but we believe in total transparency and will not claim that for the following reasons.

• We cannot be certain that a raw material supplier has not now or at some time in the past tested an ingredient on animals.  We do not knowingly purchase ingredients that have been tested on animals and inquire before purchasing ingredients, but some staple ingredients that have been used in products for years may have been tested on animals in the past.

• We do sell our products in China and some other countries that still do test on animals; though it is our understanding that China is moving towards stopping this practice. We are not alone in selling to China; nearly every major cosmetic company sells there.  Also to be noted, many major beauty retailers conduct business there including QVC and Sephora.  Again, you must feel comfortable in your choices but we hope you will consider all information in doing so.

I remember reading this statement and couldn't believe it-it seems so childish...like "well, they do it tooooooo" nannny nanny boo boo.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Don't know why.

@HappyDaze

I don't know why.

Hope you are well.

@Drythe yes, there is an alternative method to animal testing to prove safety to the Chinese Government but it is more expensive so many companies opt for the cheaper alternative- animal testing. So, to me, that is beyond reprehensible because although I don't fault anyone for wanting to sell to China, I DO fault them for choosing the animal testing route in order to save a few $$. It just shows me that they really don't care about animals.

Isomers is another company that sells in China BUT they proved safety to China by the more expensive, alternative route. I commend them for that! I believe Perricone did to but can't remember. Either that or they don't sell to China at all. I can't remember, I just know they are truly cruelty free.

Which products are you referring to? I must have missed that post? Why did you get slammed?

@HappyDaze

Jurlique has taken the more expensive alternate route (involving all the testing and certification) as well.  One reason I favor Jurlique and Isomers so much!  I highly commend both of them.

The post was removed and I was 'asked' to behave, many were peeved with me.  You, my friend must surely 'get' me.

Are you back home?  Have you heard from B?

Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze

Jurlique has taken the more expensive alternate route (involving all the testing and certification) as well.  One reason I favor Jurlique and Isomers so much!  I highly commend both of them.

The post was removed and I was 'asked' to behave, many were peeved with me.  You, my friend must surely 'get' me.

Are you back home?  Have you heard from B?

Best wishes.

Wth @Drythe?? I can't believe that. Ugh sometimes all I can do is smh.

I have not heard from B yet. I am a bit worried. I left a message a few days ago. I better follow up to see if she got it but I've had a heck of a past few days and by the time I get home, it is too late to call her again. I don't like wishing my days away but I am so exhausted it isn't even funny. I hope the rest of the week gets better... And yes, I am home. Will have my last check up appt for the final okay to get back to normal in two weeks. I can't wait. My phone is acting up again. I find it funny that it started getting all screwy as soon as the warranty is up. I mean, basically a week after it is up it. I am so frustrated with it I want to smash it into pieces. My hubby has to go with me to AT&T to have them look at the phone this time so they don't try to pull the wool over my eyes like they try to do with their bs. I really hate technology sometimes, mostly cell phones.