Respected Contributor

While Ruby and I were walking, I came across several examples of wild onions that had sprouted up in a field.  I remember a couple people mentioned never having seen these before.

Traditional wispy wild onions.

IMG_0504.jpegThese are Big Wild Onions that probably have little heads if pulled up.  There's also a 4 leaf clover 🍀 in the picture.

IMG_0508.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Such simple beauty.  Thanks for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere  Love that chance 4-leaf clover sighting Heart We used to call those stems wild garlic, but I think it's the same thing. We called it garlic because of the smell when you pulled them. We could always tell when our horses had been eating them because their breath was so stinky! Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

Wow, I don't think we have wild onions in fields here.  Perhaps I just have not noticed. Thank you for posting the pics!

Respected Contributor

@cheriere Thank you for posting the photos. I have never seen a wild onion. I thought perhaps there were some that I did not recognize as such, but no. They are new to me. Now I have seen them!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@cheriere  Love that chance 4-leaf clover sighting Heart We used to call those stems wild garlic, but I think it's the same thing. We called it garlic because of the smell when you pulled them. We could always tell when our horses had been eating them because their breath was so stinky! Smiley LOL

That 4 leaf clover was totally by chance lol.  I think technically you may be right.  I think they're the same thing.  We just always called them wild onions.  They sure stink when the yard is mowed the first time lol.💝

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

@cheriere Thank you for posting the photos. I have never seen a wild onion. I thought perhaps there were some that I did not recognize as such, but no. They are new to me. Now I have seen them!

Lol, that was one of the reasons I wanted to get a few pics of them.  Back when my mom's parents used to keep dairy cows, you could sure tell if one got into a patch of wild onions, all the milk had to be tossed!💝

Respected Contributor

I've looked for 4 leaf clovers my entire life, never finding a single one. And you spot one just hanging out with the onions ... Lol. Not fair, but it's supposed to be good luck, so I hope that's true for you. 

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

ONce in a while they will grow in my flower beds. If you see stringy things pull them up and there will be a little onion at the end. I imagine the wild animals and birds drop them there. Couldn't find the 4 leaf clover.

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

I've looked for 4 leaf clovers my entire life, never finding a single one. And you spot one just hanging out with the onions ... Lol. Not fair, but it's supposed to be good luck, so I hope that's true for you. 

Lol, I sure hope it's good luck because I could sure use some!😃. I've always been good at spotting them, but never got any luckier lol.