Regular Contributor

Re: What Are Old Musicians You've Gone To See?

Elvis, Four Seasons, Brenda Lee, Glenn Campbell

Valued Contributor

We went to Atlantic City to see Ricky Nelson (loved him). It was too crowded where he was, so we saw an unknown (at that time) Bobby Darin.

I knew Bill Haley ---my  girlfriend and I went to see him at a dance. His group at that time (long time ago) was called The Four Western Aces. Bill Haley, Bashful Barney Barnard, Al Constantine and Billy Williamson.

The band later became Haley's Comets.

Honored Contributor

It's been a few years now, but the Lettermen.

Honored Contributor

Not sure how to answer this one since so many musicians from my youth are still touring.  And I have tickets to see Elton John in March.

As I was reading your posts it occurred to me that one of the best shows I've seen was back in the 90s at the Circle Star Theater in Northern California.  Who did I see?

Little Richard!

Turned 84 last month.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

They used to have "Live Stage Shows" at a local theatre in our city where all 3 of my older sisters worked. I saw:

1) Glenn Miller Band

2) Harry James Band

3) Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey Bands

4) Shep Fields Orchestra (my brother-in-law played trumpet)

5) Lawrence Welk

6) Desi Arnaz

7) Mills Brothers

just to name a few of what I consider "old musicians).

Younger than that?  Will leave that for what I consider to be "young musicians" thread question.

hckynut(john)

Glenn Miller, Harry James, the Dorseys and the Mills Brothers.  I like your taste in music!

(Don't get around much anymore...)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Contributor

The Eagles and the Beach Boys. Will be going to see Elton John this coming March.

Valued Contributor

Elton John, James Taylor, Linda Rondstat, Billy Joel, Wayne Newton.

Esteemed Contributor

It's been many years ago...Johnny Mathis, Elvis, Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon, several big name dance bands - can't even remember their names!!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm showing my age....

Elvis - twice

Peter Paul & Mary

Englebert Humperdink

Barbara Mandrell          

Statler Brothers

Don Williams

Alabama - twice

Charlie Daniels Band

The Judds

Reba McEntire

Brooks & Dunn

About 15 years ago, I was lucky enough to get an invitation to a concert and "after party" with The Platters (at least the replacements for the original members). It was a wonderful concert, I could close my eyes and feel like I was a teenager again.  At the after party, I met one of them and found that he had been the original lead singer for the Penguins, who had a hit called "Earth Angel" back in the mid-50's (I was NOT QUITE a teenager at that time but LOVED the song).  Would love to see Lynyrd Skynrd. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So sorry to go off-topic, @ECBG.         @kittymomNC, I saw your name and had to say "welcome back, my friend!"    I've missed you so much, and I asked about you several times.   I was worred about you.   What a joy to see you posting again.    I hope you're well, and look forward to seeing you on the forums more often.    Your voice is valuable, important, and you have been greatly missed.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova