Honored Contributor

Re: Travel - May Chat

[ Edited ]

@JudyL I'll check my GCT booklet too. I'm like you......get it, read it, put it away, 'cause I always book like a year in advance. Don't worry about the details, except to see if I need to get a visa.

I'm doing the Northern Ireland pre-trip. 

For the OAT part, I am doing the pre-trip to Albania. In addition, because I have four days in between Ireland and the Dalmation Coast (I am not doing the Ireland post trip), I will fly over to Albania early and spend those extra days washing clothes, reading, emailing, and checking out the local spots before the gang all arrive. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL WHOW!!! So glad we had this little discussion. I checked the GCT booklet. American money NOT accepted anywhere I am going this summer! That is definitely a first for me.

Need euros for Ireland and the British pound for Northern Ireland. 

And then when I go to Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Slovenia, Albania, and Croatia, it's the same thing......have to exchange money.

GCT confirms that traveler's checks are a no-no. They also say that it is NOT necessary to do an exchange before arriving in the country. For the Dalmatian Coast countries, they indicate that the U.S. banks probably don't even have money to exchange for those places. And only to exchange for Euros before arriving if you want a little money to make a purchase the minute you get off the plane. Think I land very late at night, so no need. Will hit the bank the next morning and exchange money.

Bummer!!!!! Definitely going to lose money on the euro/pound exchange. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Three great online stores to purchase items for traveling:

1. Travel Smith - mostly clothes for traveling with a few accessories, like luggage, purses; love that they have a selection of clothes that are reversible and you can get so many outfits out of just a few pieces.

2. Magellans - has a lot more accessories than Travel Smith - my favorite place; always something I want to get.

3. Minimus - all accessories that are minimum in size for traveling, for the car, for camping, etc.

Honored Contributor

World Traveler - thats what I thought about No. Ireland and Ireland - no US money.  I thought I had read that in the materials GCT sent me.  Guess we'll both be heading to the bank when we get there.

Not sure if I mentioned I'll be also doing the No. Ireland pre-trip.  My father was from No. Ireland and went to Queen's University in Belfast so looking forward to seeing the area.

Want to also sing the praises of Magellans!  Great website, always find something I need/want and the prices are great too.  Haven't ever bought anything from TravelSmith but love their catalog.  Haven't heard of the other one.  Thanks for the links!

Honored Contributor

What is everyone planning to do for their next travel plans? I guess many of you travel during the summertime, so you probably already have your plans in motion.

Friends of mine just came back from one week in Hawaii, where they rented a condo. When I asked what a typical day was like, they said they slept in, relaxed on the beach, and read. Only going out to eat in a restaurant twice during that time, they said it was the most relaxing thing they had ever done. 

Where do you plan to go? Would love to hear about the different places people go to and how they decide/pick. Smiley Happy

Also, I think it would be interested to know what was your best vacation and why, and also your worst vacation and why.

Honored Contributor

Not to be contrary but we travel to Europe at least once a year.  I always obtain our Euros from my local bank before we leave the country.  It has been my experience that we get a competitive rate, often times better than what is being offered in our destination.  I can choose the denominations I want.  I've found like most US ATM machines, foreign ATMs dispense large denominations. Many travelers exchange currency at the airport because they need cash immediately.  The rates are notoriously awful.

As for carry-ons and overhead bins, I wish bins were assigned to the seats directly under them.  I see many passengers assigned seats in the back of the plane, place their bags in the bins in the front of the plane.  This way they do not have to drag them to the back and it makes for easy retrieval when they exit.  It forces those that are assigned forward seats to store their bags elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

Not to be contrary but we travel to Europe at least once a year.  I always obtain our Euros from my local bank before we leave the country.  It has been my experience that we get a competitive rate, often times better than what is being offered in our destination.  I can choose the denominations I want.  I've found like most US ATM machines, foreign ATMs dispense large denominations. Many travelers exchange currency at the airport because they need cash immediately.  The rates are notoriously awful.

As for carry-ons and overhead bins, I wish bins were assigned to the seats directly under them.  I see many passengers assigned seats in the back of the plane, place their bags in the bins in the front of the plane.  This way they do not have to drag them to the back and it makes for easy retrieval when they exit.  It forces those that are assigned forward seats to store their bags elsewhere.

@lulu2  Thanks for your input; I appreciate it. I think you made a couple of good points. Smiley Happy 

Getting the euros ahead of time is just not something I care to do. I totally agree with you that the exchange at the airports is terrible. In the past, when an exchange was necessary, I have just gone to the bank the day after I landed.

The few times I exchanged with my local bank (this was many years ago), I found there was a better rate of exchange in the country. Thus, the reason I stopped doing it. Smiley Happy

One really great tour company I went with, Micato (Africa), brought in around $2,000 worth of local money to the hotel our first day and let the eight of us purchase as much of it as we wanted from them directly, just to get us by for a few days. It was a courtesy on their part and the rate was the best available anywhere at that time. That was really nice of them.

I certainly understand what you are saying about the overhead bins and using the ones that are above the seats you sit in. I just find I have more peace of mind when I don't have to worry that someone is getting into my carry-on luggage. I usually travel alone, so if I can see my stuff when the bin is opened by someone else, I feel more comfortable. 

Twice over the years I have been able to alert a flight attendant to the fact that someone was getting into another person's luggage, luggage that couldn't be seen by the person who was sitting directly under it.  In both instances, slight of hand movements were made.

One of those times I saw a female who put her cute pink luggage up in the bin, then she sat down in her seat underneath that bin. So I was very aware when I saw a man get into it later, as it was not someone she was traveling with. For all she knew, the guy standing next to her, reaching into the bin, might be going thru his own luggage. She had no clue.

From where she was sitting, she couldn't see what happened above her, but I could. It was when the lights had been turned down a bit, with everyone getting ready to go to sleep.

The attendant approached him and he said he wasn't aware he got into the wrong luggage. Really? The pink color wasn't a clue to him? He said it was dark and he couldn't see that well, and what he had in his hand "fell out of her luggage." 

Ever since those instances, I have made sure I can see my luggage at all times. It works best for me. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I've always had soft sided luggage but I've been intrigued by the "harder" side luggage. Are there any drawbacks to the harder side luggage (i.e. is it not as flexible to put in an overhead bin)?

Respected Contributor

Just a few remarks: Please Q we would like a Travel Forum!

I had never heard of the GCT company until it was mentioned here. It seems that it is a good company. 

About luggage: We have had Hartman for decades but had planned to add a mid size checked piece. We went to Bag and Baggage and was told that Samsonite had purchased Hartman and Tumi. These brands will no longer have a life time warranty. After talking to a lady in Macy's who has sold luggage for 40+ years we bought Victorinox. This will have a life time warranty.

Respected Contributor

@granddi  I have never heard of Victorinox luggage.  Sounds nice to have luggage with a lifetime warranty.  Is it hard sided?  I'm wondering if hard sided carry-on luggage might not have any "give" when putting it in an overhead bin versus soft-sided?