Esteemed Contributor

The driver maybe thought that the OP didn't want the furniture, after all. It sounds like there was a lack of communication between them. Although it wasn't the best move, I really don't blame the driver for doing that. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Re: PBarn delivery gone bad

[ Edited ]

I'm going to hold to a minority opinion here.

Yes, the OP could have handled the situation better. But I don't believe she was responsible for the delivery man's response.

Back-ups and delays in deliveries happen every day. Customers vent their frustration at the deliverer, whether appropriately or inappropriately, every day. It's part of the job. Every day. The OP shouldn't feel so guilty.

But to have the driver refuse to complete the delivery is so unusual, and so extreme, that there has to be an unknown factor in this equation. That action risks being fired. The driver must have been experiencing some significant stress, unrelated to the job, that caused him to snap.

Of course, this means that the OP can continue shopping at PB, which probably had nothing to do with the incident. PB still should reimburse delivery charges.

Valued Contributor

IMO- you should have just thanked the driver for delivery and took your frustrations out with PB. 

Respected Contributor

@Gabidog wrote:

Yesterday my chair and ottoman were scheduled for delivery between 11:00 and 1:00.  I was so looking forward to it after waiting six months since placing the order.  Well, delivery window came and went so I called cs.  Oops, no delivery today!  Rescheduled for next week.  Cs called back saying delivery was today within the hour.  Window came and went.  I called cs.  They are coming soon...driver called and said 45 minutes away!  Window came and went.  I called cs and dispatcher said they were stuck in a tunnel due to accident and would be hours.  Within five minutes the delivery arrived and I opened the door and complained about all of the misinformation.  Driver took great offense and yelled at me, took my boxed chair and ottoman and threw them back on the truck and left!  I called cs and told them what happened.  They tried to turn the truck back but I guess the driver refused.  So...next week we will try again but somehow I think I will not look with loving eyes at the new chair and ottoman.  And I doubt I buy more furniture from that place I loved for many years.

@Gabidog, Loving eyes? I bet when that chair comes back to you it will be damaged. I have had a bad experience with a couple of things from them. I stopped shopping with them unless it was something I could carry out of the store.

Honored Contributor

@Gabidog Nothing like shooting the messenger, huh? Bet you made his day after all he went through being stuck in a tunnel and knowing customers would be mad. Wow.

Honored Contributor

That delivery driver was already having a horrible day. He knew all the deliveries he was going to make were going to be to irate customers. I would have killed him with kindness. I would never, ever had berated him for his lateness, which wasn't his fault. The OP needs to apologize to this driver. All she seems to think about is her feelings. Come on!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I would have bee so glad to get my furniture at last, I would have just let it go. Now you you have to wait.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I totally get upset about the delays.  IMO, the driver was not at fault.  Pottery Barn CS should have alerted customers to the delays as soon as the driver alerted them of the delay.  

If I waited 6 months for a piece of furniture, I would never have allowed the driver to put it back on the truck and drive off.  

Respected Contributor

Sort of like throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Honored Contributor

Re: PBarn delivery gone bad

[ Edited ]

None of this fiasco was the driver's fault.  Is he a direct employee or contracted delivery service?  I hope he doesn't lose his job, it sounds like you were his last straw.