Valued Contributor

Yesterday my chair and ottoman were scheduled for delivery between 11:00 and 1:00.  I was so looking forward to it after waiting six months since placing the order.  Well, delivery window came and went so I called cs.  Oops, no delivery today!  Rescheduled for next week.  Cs called back saying delivery was today within the hour.  Window came and went.  I called cs.  They are coming soon...driver called and said 45 minutes away!  Window came and went.  I called cs and dispatcher said they were stuck in a tunnel due to accident and would be hours.  Within five minutes the delivery arrived and I opened the door and complained about all of the misinformation.  Driver took great offense and yelled at me, took my boxed chair and ottoman and threw them back on the truck and left!  I called cs and told them what happened.  They tried to turn the truck back but I guess the driver refused.  So...next week we will try again but somehow I think I will not look with loving eyes at the new chair and ottoman.  And I doubt I buy more furniture from that place I loved for many years.

Respected Contributor

Are you paying for delivery? PB should at least reimburse that charge.

Honored Contributor

The driver's mistake was putting the product back in the truck. However, I would never complain to a driver. They are under enough pressure, have so many deliveries to make each day, and don't need to listen to complaints. It wasn't his fault and he likely made a special trip to deliver it.  IMO, if someone complained so many times to me, I'd probably react the same way. I would have said thank you and let it go.

Respected Contributor

I think the OP had a perfect right to ask the driver for an explanation. She's paying for the service. Better to get the explanation directly from the people involved instead of customer service. Especially when you have to make a decision about tipping.

My feeling is that something was wrong with the driver that day, whatever that might be.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I think the OP had a perfect right to ask the driver for an explanation. She's paying for the service. Better to get the explanation directly from the people involved instead of customer service. Especially when you have to make a decision about tipping.

My feeling is that something was wrong with the driver that day, whatever that might be.

The driver doesn't update the system or keep track of what's on it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 

She didn't say she asked him for an explanation, she said she opened the door and started complaining. That was obviously the straw that broke the camel's back after the day he'd had none of which was his fault.

Respected Contributor

Re: PBarn delivery gone bad

[ Edited ]

Driver is at the door with the furniture that you have been waiting for for 6 months why complain to him? I would have complained to Pottery Barn customer service not the driver.   I doubt that the drivers make up their own schedule. Of course the driver did not react in an appropriate manner but who knows what he had to put up with that day? Maybe irate customers taking out their frustrations on him.  

Respected Contributor

Keep in mind that traffic plays a big part in the delivery "window" period. This is just an estimate.

The misinformation was with CS not the driver. Your beef is with them, not him.

Your item is placed on the truck in order of his route. The items are delivered in the order the truck was loaded, meaning everything in front of your chair has to be delivered first. If an issue arises with deliveries prior to yours, it means that the freight has to be reloaded back on the truck; causing more delays. (unexpected for the driver as well, and more shifting and moving and time consuming, and back and ball breaking for the guy) Everything that doesn't get delivered causes these delays. We don't think this way as the waiting recipient;  we just know ours is still not delivered.
Did you notice if the driver had a helper with him? These days the driver is often alone and does all the work himself. 

Another thing is, the longer your item stays on that truck; being bounced around, dragged on and off, put back in the warehouse, taken back out to redeliver, the greater chance there is for it to be damaged. Take it from one who knows.

@CalminHeart  @50Mickey  I see you get it. 😃 

Esteemed Contributor

Have had similar delivery issues and the first thing I said to the delivery person was "am I happy to see you"! 

The driver most likely was an employee of a delivery company contracted by PB to deliver their furniture and not even a PB employee. Not saying driver was right to do what he did but he must have had a heck of a day too.

Honored Contributor

I would have given him a pass knowing he was stuck in an accident.  His delay was unavoidable.